Ep.1 Blue Senate Guard

darthwalls

Has anybody here made a blue senate guard helmet from Ep.1? If so what did you use for the mohawk? I have checked brooms and paint brushes but can't find anything long enough. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

A number of years ago a friend of mine did a couple helmets.
He used kitchen brooms that where chopped up so they would conform the the arc of the crest.

A couple small pix from the Wedding they where made for.
pattens.gif

recession1.gif

mikebefore.gif

D6

Originally posted by division 6@Mar 10 2006, 06:14 PM
A number of years ago a friend of mine did a couple helmets.
He used kitchen brooms that where chopped up so they would conform the the arc of the crest.

A couple small pix from the Wedding they where made for.
pattens.gif

recession1.gif

mikebefore.gif

D6
[snapback]1203054[/snapback]​

Thanks for the replies.
I have searched several places and can't find anything close. I tried the brooms but they are not full or long enough.
Mikie, I'll try to get some pics up soon. I am converting a helmet I purchased from the Ep.3 version to the Ep.1. I was just waiting until I found the mohawk to get cranking on it.

Originally posted by division 6@Mar 11 2006, 05:15 PM
The guy that made those was going to upgrade to horse hair.
Don't know if he ever did.

D6
[snapback]1203634[/snapback]​

After hours and hours of searching, I think horse hair is gonna be the closest thing to it. I went to Tandy Leather and they are out. I'm gonna have to try their website or another and look for a bulk rate.

:eek That looks splendid, darthwalls. Well done. :thumbsup

Any chance of your posting a tutorial? :love

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(temponaut @ May 6 2006, 02:29 AM) [snapback]1239263[/snapback]</div>
:eek That looks splendid, darthwalls. Well done. :thumbsup

Any chance of your posting a tutorial? :love
[/b]

Thanks fo the comments. I searched a long time for the right stuff to use.

First of all, I bought the helmet from someone else, sorry I didn't state that earlier. The helmet came as the Episode 3 version with the visor and flat crest on top. I also purchased the Episode 1 V-crest from him. I removed the visor. Then wet-sanded the helmet and crests and then painted all 3. I bought a small sheet of plexi-glass from Home Depot, cut it in a similar shape of a mohawk. I used a Dremel to cut out slots on the crest to slide the plexi-glass in. This was done to give more stability to the mohawk. I then brushed on Mod-Podge glue to one side of the plexi-glas and applied horse hair that I got from an on-line equine supply store. I repeated this process for the 3 other sides of plexi-glas until the mohawk was the desired thickness I wanted. I then took the helmet to my barber to even up the hair. The mohawk is a little thicker than in the movie and is not slanted as much. I still need to thin out the hair. I made it more straight up because I didn't want to weaken the crest by cutting into it at an angle.

Thanks for the tips, darthwalls. :)

I find all of your information illuminating, but like this part in particular:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darthwalls @ May 8 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1240310[/snapback]</div>
I then took the helmet to my barber to even up the hair. [/b]
Such a simple thing to do, and yet such a smart choice in terms of applying the skills of a professional to get the look you want.

Clever approach and very handsome results. :thumbsup :D

{EDIT} I forgot to ask: What did your barber say when you asked for his help? I bet it was the first time he'd been asked to trim the horsehairs on a Star Wars helmet. :lol

The hitch is, in addition to cutting the original helm, there were these dang cheeks added that make the process harder to duplicate.
[img]http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/7986/senatehelm7ja.jpg
helmet22vi.jpg

These are lfl shots,pretty good for reference.
Good luck.
jj

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back