Entry Level Airbrush?

What about paints? Just buy some testors and thin it out or use the more expensive stuff that does not need thinning?

What about paints? Just buy some testors and thin it out or use the more expensive stuff that does not need thinning?

It depends. I like using Testors Enamels just because I think they're easier to work with. I tried Acrylics, but always had the paint dry before it left the airbrush. I think there are retarders you can add to slow drying, but I've never tried them. The obviously benefit to acrylics is that they are less toxic. If you have a spray booth though you can vent everything outside.

most air brush compressors are just like the link you posted being constant pressure. They are just large enough to power the airbrush, anything else such an external tank is overkill.

Ill also add that unless you are painting larger items with an airbrush, the version you will use most is the small cup or "gravity feed". Many will opt for the permanent cup mount version where I prefer the removable cup. It helps speed cleaning up when using multiple colors on a regular basis.

Hi I found this forum just recently, been lurking for a while to see ppl's works.

I got my airbrush about 3 years ago. Its a brandless airbrush and probably some inferior china product. I also acquired an air compressor with it.

Heres how I feel about it.
1. I hear air brushes have a lifespan so i didn't want to spend too much on it.(Paid $40SGD so i think its about $30USD)
2. I use a top/gravity feed & dual action and i can't imagine using a side/bottom feed.
3. I getting the right viscosity of paint is the main skill to learn.
4. My compressor has a tank cause the guy who taught me said sth like the tank is useful for getting a consistent air pressure.
5. I regretted getting a rubber air hose as the coiling of rubber irritates the hell out of me, stick to the braided one.

Hope this helps.

This was the starter set I bought - 3 Airbrush, Air Compressor, And Air Hose Set

$100, everything you need to get started except the paints. The compressor is good enough to start playing around with but won't do for serious work. The air hose is surprisingly good quality and I'm still really happy with the dual action gravity feed airbrush!

Oh, and as others mentioned already clean your airbrush thoroughly after each use! It's seriously important! ;)
Ok, when I buy one (and I'm tempted to pull the trigger right now) I think I'll go for this one. Unless someone suddenly screams not to. And I'll go through the link at the top of the page so the site gets some Amazon bucks.

So I bought that $104 kit. One small problem. The "manual" for the compressor shows one end of the hose connected to the compressor, the other end connects to the filter, and then the filter connects to the airbrush. Unfortunately, you can't connect the jar or cup to one of them while the air filter is connected. I might have to jury rig something. Maybe make a short section of hose.

Another update. A coworker suggested I try the brushes out by spraying water on paper. Everything seemed to work well. And after a couple of minutes use there was no water in the filter, so I think running the one brush without it will be ok. Now I just need something to paint.

Last edited:
Wow guys! This was of great help to me! :)
I was actually going to start a thread about this, but I got my answer.

I think I will be getting the Iwata Eclipse, it seems like a whole lot of you agree that it is a good airbrush for entry-mid level airbrushes.

Thanks again! :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back