Enterprise Proposal for Smithsonian

So let me get this right. You want a 3D scan of the Enterprise so that you can get an accurate model of it? It's still Paramount's ip. The only way that is going to happen is if Paramount wants it and sees a way for them to make money off of it. Otherwise I don't see it happening, and I really don't see them releasing it to the public. I could be wrong of course.

The Enterprise model was donated to the Smithsonian in the 1970's; they own it as an object, not the rights to its commercial use. As a US gov't institution, most of their work is in the public domain, and have in fact shared prior data publicly, such as high-res X-rays images of the model.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://3d.si.edu/downloads/26

The Smithsonian scanned a lifemask of Lincoln and posted the data in different formats, including the laser point cloud data, for free download. I would like that to happen with the Enterprise model, if possible.

Last edited:
The model's painted. Info about the ship, the restoration, what was discovered, will be out when the time's right.

I spent the better part of last year in the running to paint this. Worked closely with the curators, and they are all professional and amazing. In the end it came down to me and the other team that won, and I can honestly say that I am VERY happy I lost to them.

The team that just finished painting the Enterprise: Kim Smith, John Goodson, and Bill George - all three ILMers that have all worked on various Enterprise models and have FAR more qualifications and cred than I do, lol. The model was in the BEST hands between the three of them and experts like Gary Kerr overseeing the process.

If I recall correctly, the wireframe for the CG model used for the remastered TOS was so spot on they released promo images with the wire frame over laid on original shots, and they were dead on.

CGI_mesh_overlay_on_reference_picture_of_eleven-foot_Enterprise_model.jpg

On Memory Alpha they note "The new CGI Enterprise was based on the exact measurements, originally taken by Gary Kerr, of the original model, which is on display in the gift shop of the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC."

So I think what you're asking about has already been done.

Indeed! In fact it had TOO much detail to the point render times were impractical to meet the deadlines of remastered broadcasts.

Rossi at CBS Digital mentioned something about reducing the polygon count to get renders more reasonable in time.

If he laser scanned the model, then yes. But I've never heard that account. And his work has never been publicly released outside of its use in projects like that. I'm talking more along the lines of the difference between an accurate model, by normal standards, and something akin to "taken from the original molds" level. It might be esoteric, but I like that.

From an archival reference standpoint, I understand why you'd ask, but, considering the commercial value of a 3D model of that caliber, I seriously doubt it would be done and then offered to the public.

Still, a license would be required to market anything derived from scanned data whether that data was provided as open source or not - right? Seems that is no obstacle to releasing the data that the Smithsonian collected, if so inclined. In fact, to do so and then charge for that data would probably require the NASM to get a license unless that has already been conferred to them under condition of the donation (since they are the ones taking care of the artifact...) perhaps under guise of production cost recovery.

R/ Robert

I think it is a fantastic idea.
I thought of it myself a while back as soon as I found out the Wand Phaser was 3D laser scanned.
What better way to settle the years of debate over the accuracy of all the different models that have been built.
Not to mention the special effects possibilities.

Oh and to just have it for posterity.

I hope you can do it.
Good luck to you.

:)Spockboy

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back