Enslavement, Enlightenment, & Revolution?

UltimateHunter

Many comments on the lair have been saying different possibilities for the relation of the "space Jockey" race with the aliens. Were they their master's, creators, or invaders?

However, this topic is not of the Aliens, but of the predators.

After reading a starcraft booklet thing (found it under a pile of books a while back), I ran across a part about the history of the protoss and Zerg, which mentioned a race of super advanced scientists who tried to create the perfect species. Then, I realized the possibility of a race similar to this, intervening in Predator history, in trying to create either a supreme race or (most likely) a supreme warrior/ fighting force.
I am not saying that the race could be the Space Jockey/ Pilot, but, who knows?

Anyway, heres the idea.

When earth was still a rocky plane full of pre historic beasts (prior to dinosaurs), the predators were a clan divided society of warriors living in an almost early Babylonian like era. They hunted the vicious creatures of their world, while also having occasional tribal wars amongst themselves; while developing small mud based hut/ housings which eventually developed to large rock structures.
During this time a highly advanced and scientific alien race watched over them in curiosity. Though they were intelligent and advanced, there were still brutal religious wars within their race, that devastated populations from horrific wars. Due to this, they needed more warriors desperately and turned to their science and power for they're answer. Soon enough, the magnificent ships descended down to the predator homeworld. The hunter's at first, assumed that these were some form of hunter god. However, due to the creatures lack of resemblance, the hunter's quickly grew suspicious. Many of the more intellectually advanced clans had the idea that these beings were possibly from the heavens they so pondered about. Before any decent attack could be formed by the hunter's, the race followed up with they're plans of dominance and enslavement. Under a span of 2 years, the hunter's were fully enslaved and were laced with behavioral collars so they would not turn on their masters. With their new found warriors, their faction of the religious wars, grew victorious .
However, though the hunter's were restrained from revolution, they still advanced mentally as any race would. Especially when the hunter's were not only used as warriors, but also as mechanics, pilots, engineers, and weapons makers.
So, after the end of the civil wars of the "great" race, the hunter's believed that it was possible that they could finally return home, since they were no longer needed for war. Unfortunately, the race's agenda was different. Due to the longevity and strength of the creatures, the race wished to keep enslaving them for simply making life easier. This, unsurprisingly, did not go well with the hunter's.
While the slaves were fixing or repairing the ships and cities of their owners, a hunter ran across the "blue prints" of the conditioning collars the predators wore. After close examination, the predator was able to remove the device. Almost instantaneously, the freed hunter was able to enlighten the other enslaved which, in no time, led to over 80% of the slaves to be freed, and ready for war. This is were the hunter's had to keep patience for a right time to strike. After waiting 6 months, the predators found their opportunity.
On a barren world of almost endless minerals and natural resources, there were a hostile race of creatures that endangered the race from its goals. So, they rallied their slave/ warriors for the job. After arming the strongest and most experienced of them with the strongest weaponry, the predators have finally reached the moment they were waiting for. After one of the most oldest warrior/ ex-slaves turn to fire on the observation deck in the hanger bay, all of the warriors happily used this as a spark to begin their revolt. In a matter of moments, the softened and lazy former masters were mutilated, skinned, beheaded, and decimated; while the hunter's took over the ship.
After this, revoluton spread like a virus over any city, ship, or station holding predators.
Soon, the hunters gathered a decent fighting fleet, while the small section of the race not containing slaves, quickly came to counter the revolt. To their surprise, the hunter's navigated and fought extraordinarily well. After a brief battle, the hunter fleet chased away their former masters and began hunting them at any corner of the galaxy, gathering millions of trophies, until they were completely exterminated.
The hunter's celebrated as their century of enslavement was finally over. After some discussion, the predators divided into clans and chose sections of the galaxy they wished to "own."
While some wished to return to the old ways of primitive society, most agreed that such a thing was impossible due to their long period near such advanced technologies. Then, they realized the possibility of combining both thoughts; to go back to the old hunting ways but use their knowledge of technologies to hunt on a galactic level and find new and even more vicious prey to hunt.
In the time to come, they would get their former armor and ships and change them to the design they saw fit, while they went on with their ancient customs.

Thats basically the idea.

AS a side note

If the race that did this WERE the pilot/ space Jockey, then heres something else.

The pilot created a perfect fighting race, the Alien/ xenomorph. They then, used this prototype creature and tested them against their predator slaves in rings and battles. During this time the hunter's much revered the amazing strength of these aliens and even wished they could hunt them freely. After the revolution began, a carrier ship holding a host of captured eggs, tried to escape but was shot down. After crashing on a rocky barren world, the alien containments got loose and took over the ship. So, thats how that ship in Alien got there, and thats how the primordial race of hunter's were first intergalactically introduced with the aliens.

What do you think happened?

I LIKE IT...SOUNDS LIKE A SOLID EXPLANATION

Many comments on the lair have been saying different possibilities for the relation of the "space Jockey" race with the aliens. Were they their master's, creators, or invaders?

However, this topic is not of the Aliens, but of the predators.

After reading a starcraft booklet thing (found it under a pile of books a while back), I ran across a part about the history of the protoss and Zerg, which mentioned a race of super advanced scientists who tried to create the perfect species. Then, I realized the possibility of a race similar to this, intervening in Predator history, in trying to create either a supreme race or (most likely) a supreme warrior/ fighting force.
I am not saying that the race could be the Space Jockey/ Pilot, but, who knows?

Anyway, heres the idea.

When earth was still a rocky plane full of pre historic beasts (prior to dinosaurs), the predators were a clan divided society of warriors living in an almost early Babylonian like era. They hunted the vicious creatures of their world, while also having occasional tribal wars amongst themselves; while developing small mud based hut/ housings which eventually developed to large rock structures.
During this time a highly advanced and scientific alien race watched over them in curiosity. Though they were intelligent and advanced, there were still brutal religious wars within their race, that devastated populations from horrific wars. Due to this, they needed more warriors desperately and turned to their science and power for they're answer. Soon enough, the magnificent ships descended down to the predator homeworld. The hunter's at first, assumed that these were some form of hunter god. However, due to the creatures lack of resemblance, the hunter's quickly grew suspicious. Many of the more intellectually advanced clans had the idea that these beings were possibly from the heavens they so pondered about. Before any decent attack could be formed by the hunter's, the race followed up with they're plans of dominance and enslavement. Under a span of 2 years, the hunter's were fully enslaved and were laced with behavioral collars so they would not turn on their masters. With their new found warriors, their faction of the religious wars, grew victorious .
However, though the hunter's were restrained from revolution, they still advanced mentally as any race would. Especially when the hunter's were not only used as warriors, but also as mechanics, pilots, engineers, and weapons makers.
So, after the end of the civil wars of the "great" race, the hunter's believed that it was possible that they could finally return home, since they were no longer needed for war. Unfortunately, the race's agenda was different. Due to the longevity and strength of the creatures, the race wished to keep enslaving them for simply making life easier. This, unsurprisingly, did not go well with the hunter's.
While the slaves were fixing or repairing the ships and cities of their owners, a hunter ran across the "blue prints" of the conditioning collars the predators wore. After close examination, the predator was able to remove the device. Almost instantaneously, the freed hunter was able to enlighten the other enslaved which, in no time, led to over 80% of the slaves to be freed, and ready for war. This is were the hunter's had to keep patience for a right time to strike. After waiting 6 months, the predators found their opportunity.
On a barren world of almost endless minerals and natural resources, there were a hostile race of creatures that endangered the race from its goals. So, they rallied their slave/ warriors for the job. After arming the strongest and most experienced of them with the strongest weaponry, the predators have finally reached the moment they were waiting for. After one of the most oldest warrior/ ex-slaves turn to fire on the observation deck in the hanger bay, all of the warriors happily used this as a spark to begin their revolt. In a matter of moments, the softened and lazy former masters were mutilated, skinned, beheaded, and decimated; while the hunter's took over the ship.
After this, revoluton spread like a virus over any city, ship, or station holding predators.
Soon, the hunters gathered a decent fighting fleet, while the small section of the race not containing slaves, quickly came to counter the revolt. To their surprise, the hunter's navigated and fought extraordinarily well. After a brief battle, the hunter fleet chased away their former masters and began hunting them at any corner of the galaxy, gathering millions of trophies, until they were completely exterminated.
The hunter's celebrated as their century of enslavement was finally over. After some discussion, the predators divided into clans and chose sections of the galaxy they wished to "own."
While some wished to return to the old ways of primitive society, most agreed that such a thing was impossible due to their long period near such advanced technologies. Then, they realized the possibility of combining both thoughts; to go back to the old hunting ways but use their knowledge of technologies to hunt on a galactic level and find new and even more vicious prey to hunt.
In the time to come, they would get their former armor and ships and change them to the design they saw fit, while they went on with their ancient customs.

Thats basically the idea.

AS a side note

If the race that did this WERE the pilot/ space Jockey, then heres something else.

The pilot created a perfect fighting race, the Alien/ xenomorph. They then, used this prototype creature and tested them against their predator slaves in rings and battles. During this time the hunter's much revered the amazing strength of these aliens and even wished they could hunt them freely. After the revolution began, a carrier ship holding a host of captured eggs, tried to escape but was shot down. After crashing on a rocky barren world, the alien containments got loose and took over the ship. So, thats how that ship in Alien got there, and thats how the primordial race of hunter's were first intergalactically introduced with the aliens.

What do you think happened?

Wow, man that's puttin' some effort into your theories. Although, while I do think it's very well thought out, I just don't buy it. This whole "slave race" thing just doesn't sit right with me. It's like their whole history is based upon the way that they look and carry themselves.

For instance, the only way to explain why they choose to hunt other races and cultures is that at some point in their history, the Predators suffered some horrible experience that would compel future generations to hunt and murder other beings for fun. Kind of like a child who grows up in an abusive household and only seeks out violence and chaos to gain some kind of meaning.

I guess it's human nature to try and put reason behind the unexplainable. To me, when that happens, the character loses it's appeal, and becomes less scarey. Why does it have to be known why the Predator culture does what it does? Why is it so hard for some fans to fathom that they do what they do just because it's what they do. Why is it bad that perhaps the Predators are just superior, and unbelievably advanced? Why does everything have to be picked apart?

Goddamnit, the Predator didn't come from the minds of Gene Rodenberry or George Lucas, but people treat them like they did. They've been given a "language" and apparently they're now know as "Yautja??" I ******* hate that word. I hate it more than I hate to wake up every day at 5 am. The females are ten times the size of the males, and during mating they throw them around like rag dolls. Come on! Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that a woman wrote the book? Oooooooooooh no, now I'm being sexist!!! Or am I just saying that it is what it is... a woman who wanted to take the Predator down a peg. I've read that it was based on the natural way of things on Earth where the female is bigger than the male in some animal species.... but the Predator is not from Earth. I can't stand the novels-I really can't. Did any of the authors of the books actually watch the movies or what? "They have hair that is tightly wrapped to form the dredlocks." Oh go **** yourself, dude. That has to be the biggest peave of mine. I'm sorry, but no.. you should go and watch both Predator and Predator 2. Clearly the dredlocks are SOLID, and even textured. If it were the case of them having hair, they wouldn't have quills, and the crowns that the creatures sport wouldn't be set up the way they are. The books are crap.

As far as their actual technology goes... why's it so hard to think that maybe it's their own? Why does it have to be some other races'? Is it because they look like thugs? They've got those bigass heads, who's not to say they aren't filled with some kind of intelligence and deep insight into the universe.

"As far as their actual technology goes... why's it so hard to think that maybe it's their own"

I agree. I have seen on other Predator board where people theorize about the Yautja, and I've seen ideas ranging from everything that they stole the technology from those they killed or took it from an invading force. Very few people credit the Yautja with enough brainpower to develop this technology on their own. I personally do. I guess it is just hard to picture some geeky Yautja with glasses hovering over a circuit board all day until he made something work, but I do think that there is a portion of their society that delves into the sciences. These would be respected people, perhaps even "retired" hunters, as they would be the ones created better technology for future hunts.

""They have hair that is tightly wrapped to form the dredlocks." Oh go **** yourself, dude. That has to be the biggest peave of mine. I'm sorry, but no.. you should go and watch both Predator and Predator 2. Clearly the dredlocks are SOLID, and even textured. If it were the case of them having hair, they wouldn't have quills, and the crowns that the creatures sport wouldn't be set up the way they ar"

You make very good points here. Some of us just get so fascinated by an interesting (cool, unusual, ... add your own adjective) alien race that we want to know more. Sometimes it's just fun, sometimes maybe it's not healthy to think of something imaginary in terms of reality.... but I don't think any character loses it's appeal when it's picked apart a bit. I just think that makes said character seem more real, more alive (and helps create better and more interesting suits).... As far as the description of the dreadlocks, you are correct, and I've always wondered why Steve Perry and his daughter Stephanie wrote it that way. It's very interesting trying to see fan writers link the two descriptions, too, and make it work in a fiction story. There are quite a few things in the books that did not add up according to the movies, but the books are still good and entertaining.

As far as the females/males scenario... two comments.. First, females are not 10 times bigger than the males, but they are larger, and more powerful. If you want to comment on that, then you need to accept a little of the "picking the character apart" and understand that their society is supposedly a matriarchal one. The females do the bulk of the running the society and are charged with raising the offspring. Males go out to hunt to gain the respect they need to be able to mate with a female (or more than 1 if they're lucky). In that scenario, it makes sense that the females would be bigger/stronger.

Comment 2- as far as comparing things to what we know from Earth, sorry, but we are humans... the only things we have to compare anything to are terrestrial. Something non-terrestrial would not necessarily make sense to us, so how can you make a comparison to something you don't understand? If you've never seen something before, or experienced it, how can you describe it or understand it? Here on Earth, we do have examples of females being bigger/stronger than males. Most spider species' females are much bigger than the males (indeed, even 10 times). Praying mantis females eat the head off the male after they finish mating. Komodo dragon females will fight aggressively with a male prior to mating, and will charge them off immediately after completion, which means the male must be strong enough to prove himself to the female and live to breed.

Personally, I associate the Yautja with the Komodo the most. Much of the presumed society is quite the same as how a group of Komodos live and die. (Without the trophy hunting)

totally agree with Rob, and he says this several times a yr, the novels are horse ****, they are about as much use as a 1 legged man in a arse kicking contest.

i think the lucas/rodenberrry analogy is quite good also.

and i wont even go into the yautja word, which is plain stoooooooopid. but then again it came from a novel so that explains ALOT

For instance, the only way to explain why they choose to hunt other races and cultures is that at some point in their history, the Predators suffered some horrible experience that would compel future generations to hunt and murder other beings for fun. Kind of like a child who grows up in an abusive household and only seeks out violence and chaos to gain some kind of meaning/quote]

First of all, I totally disagree with this. Predators don't hunt for this reason, they hunt to prove their strength of fighting a stronger beast and defeating them, while using the skulls to prove it so their honor they gained would never be forgotten. They believe in honor and a code to follow like all warriors in a culture.

As far as their actual technology goes... why's it so hard to think that maybe it's their own
As for this, I didn't say that the predators stole the technology from their former masters. I said that the predators LEARNED HOW to use the technology during the period of being enslaved, then used the ships during the revolt for WEAPONS, THEN making ships of their own with the knowledge they obtained.
Just because they got knowledge of how the technology worked doesn't necessarily mean they stole it. Though very quickly, they advanced too as they were exposed to the technology and quickly were able to adapt to it.

As far as the whole book hating tangent, I really didn't mean to set anybody off. In fact I wasn't even trying to talk about predator culture. BUT if you ask, I think the predators don't have dorky scientists to advance stuff for them. I think all of the predators know a decent amount of science and are able to advance (with weaponry and ships) together and individually, without having a segregated group of scientists and hunters. They are ALL warriors, but have the knowledge.

"As far as the females/males scenario... two comments.. First, females are not 10 times bigger than the males, but they are larger, and more powerful. If you want to comment on that, then you need to accept a little of the "picking the character apart" and understand that their society is supposedly a matriarchal one. The females do the bulk of the running the society and are charged with raising the offspring. Males go out to hunt to gain the respect they need to be able to mate with a female (or more than 1 if they're lucky). In that scenario, it makes sense that the females would be bigger/stronger."

Well alright, but what if the offspring are pretty much screwed from birth, and have to fend for themselves? I've always imagined that the females were just as relentless as the males in the "hunting" aspect of their culture. I don't think that the females run things when the men are out, I think that (Im sorry about how 1950's this sounds) the females are treated as equals, and do just as much hunting as the males except during the whole child birth thing. Wherein afterwards they kinda leave the kid alone so they can hunt as well. Each Predator baby is fit to fight for it's own existence, hence why they feel the need to conquer prey more powerful than they are and claim their skulls. So that each time they grab themselves a skull it's like a "**** you, mom!" trophy.

"Comment 2- as far as comparing things to what we know from Earth, sorry, but we are humans... the only things we have to compare anything to are terrestrial. Something non-terrestrial would not necessarily make sense to us, so how can you make a comparison to something you don't understand? If you've never seen something before, or experienced it, how can you describe it or understand it? Here on Earth, we do have examples of females being bigger/stronger than males. Most spider species' females are much bigger than the males (indeed, even 10 times). Praying mantis females eat the head off the male after they finish mating. Komodo dragon females will fight aggressively with a male prior to mating, and will charge them off immediately after completion, which means the male must be strong enough to prove himself to the female and live to breed. "

Well that's cool and all, and you've apparently done your homework, but... I meant more along the lines of putting the traits and behaviors of creatures here on Earth onto creatures from afar. For instance, the ALBINO that everyone seems to be so crazy about. Throwing traits and disabilities on a character that is not from this planet is what I meant. Putting more of ourselves onto the character, I guess.

P.S. I loves me a good debate!!!

Every sociologist and xenobiologist would have a field day with this thread...

I agree with whats been said about background stories and all.. one of the thing I liked most about P1 is that instead of giving us a lot of crap on motivation, the Predator simply hunts. And not for instance to extract Endorphines from the human brain or **** like that, like I've seen it done in a bad Dolph Lundgren movie. No chit-chat, no explanations. Makes the creature all the more powerful, from a dramatic point of view.

Yes, obviously, the Hunter isn't from Earth, which means he'd much rather NOT have exactly two arms, hands, legs and eyes. But if you deduct surroundings from what you see, you'd have to go for a hot planet with bright sun (notice those deep eye sockets??). Probably lotsa trees (the claws, the way the P1 moves through the jungle). Which sort of contradicts bright sun (foliage..); At least the Earth's gravity (the bulgin muscles, the obious strength), but then again, they're very tall (rather normal/low gravity); on any human race, the giant skull would definitely mean intelligence, so does the opposing thumb; who knows for extraterrestials...and I personally do think that those claws would awfully get in your way for any kind of technical work;

my point being - it's a movie character. Devised by screen writers, dragged on through probably highly stupid graphic novels by painters, who again probably care more about the visuals than the actual story or it's scientific accuracy.

if you'd ask a biologist or even a statistics major, he'd tell you the Predator might just as well have looked like the Jean-Claude Van Damme red insect thing or the Blob. And on THAT kind of accuracy you ACTUALLY want to pin a (not particularly logical) background story??? Which desperately tries without succeeding to account for all kinds of behaviorism? That's actually quite brave, you know... I like the part most where e everyone tries to tie in the Space Jockeys... from. Another. Movie. Entirely.

If you want to know my thoughts, I'll give you a story from one of my favorite childhood sci-fi book series from the sixties. There was a race, immensely old and advanced (aren't they always..), who'd tried for galactic dominance, could only barely be contained and millennia later became the good guys; now they stay home until one of them gets a sudden urge to go have fun and heads off for - intervention in conflict; somewhere in the galaxy, in two or three...well, aliens/persons... tag teams. Substitute coldblooded killers for good guys and I - personally - think this comes closest to the Predators' behavior.

(Funnily enough, I can backtrace most of the weirder and cooler ideas in post-70s sci-fi TV series I know to that book series. The cubic design of the Borg ships with cyborgs inside? From there. The "Gateway" technology from one of the Jem Hadar episodes of DS9? From there. The whole idea of the Stargate technology is from there, too. The being stranded in another galaxy theme from Voyager? Also from there. Species 8472? From there. Go look up Perry Rhodan, if you want to know more.)

Wouldn't it make more sense if the predators were from a warm world that was dark more often then light, and that's why they survive by seeing other creature's heat.

" I like the part most where e everyone tries to tie in the Space Jockeys... from. Another. Movie. Entirely."

I don't know what individuals believe but, Aliens have been tied into predator since predator 2, so, like it or not, the space jockeys (who ARE a part of the Aliens) are somewhat tied in with Predator. So NO, its not from an entirely different movie unless your only accounting for the first Predator and Alien.

Its probably true that people who view predator to terrestrial but first of all, its HUMANS who thought up the creature, so of course it will be. AND second (which is more scientific), just because aliens aren't from earth, why exactly can they NOT be human like? I mean, of course there will be species like in Enemy mine (the Dracs) that are more amphibious, but still, the universe is ever expanding and creating new galaxies and planets forever. In that infinite possibility, why couldn't a race be JUST like homosapien or very similar to it, like possibly the predators? Just because they are alien, doesn't necessarily mean they HAVE to be different. Sure that makes sense but, look at it flip sides.

It's been a while since I last saw such an in depth topic on the culture and physical biology of the Predator.

I like your theory, my thought of the predators develloping their own stuff is hinged on whether or not they are a nomadic species, since not having a stationary base basically rules out technological development (look at our planet's own few tribes that still seem to live in the stoneage from a technology standpoint of view, while they ARE wearing T-shirts).

Predators remind me of Reptiles from the way they see to the way they look, and in the Reptile kingdom the males are bigger most of the time.

In that infinite possibility, why couldn't a race be JUST like homosapien or very similar to it, like possibly the predators? Just because they are alien, doesn't necessarily mean they HAVE to be different.

Evolution is not just a waste of students' time in school. Organisms either become adapt to their surroundings or get the axe. Space may theoretically be unlimited, but we know the part of it containing galaxies to be finite. Those constellations in themselves don't contain an unlimited number of heavenly bodies, so by definition, the number of possibilities may be too large to grasp but still is finite also. So rule out suns without planets, rule out planets with other than remotely Earth-like conditions and what you got .. is probably still too large a number for us to understand, but I think you get my drift. Now you have to cluster those planets of like conditions spatially so that they're close enough for different races to contact each other within their lifespans. The odds that these races will look alike shrink rapidly with every further assumption.

On the other thing, Aliens and Predators have become tied in by a couple of money craving idiots. I always thought the idea came up with P2, but obviously it was around in the comic books before that. Don't know. I think it was funny in P2 with the Alien skull but other than that it's silly. I wont even mention that these different and originally unrelated plots/movies are from different timelines as well. Logic is taking a nap here.

"space may theoretically be unlimited, but we know the part of it containing galaxies to be finite."

How is that possible? Suns ( which were large enough in there life) die all the time to create black holes, which creates galaxies from all the stars and what not being pulled into it. How do we know if only part of the universe has galaxies in it? We can't see that far?

"space may theoretically be unlimited, but we know the part of it containing galaxies to be finite."

How is that possible? Suns ( which were large enough in there life) die all the time to create black holes, which creates galaxies from all the stars and what not being pulled into it. How do we know if only part of the universe has galaxies in it? We can't see that far?

I think we can. However, if the Big Bang theory is in fact correct, it all originated in one point, from where all mass and therefore all galaxies drifted apart (still do). Meaning, the part of space containing matter must have its confines, even more so since the expansion velocity is decreasing with distance. Black Holes, btw, don't create galaxies, at least not to my knowledge. They can theoretically consume some, though. And only a tiny fraction of stars have enough mass to end up one of those galactic vacuum cleaners. I think most simply become novae, the larger ones supernovae, then there's neutrino stars and only those with more mass than that collapse into a black hole.

Okay, for my part, the Preds hunt because they hunt. You can't explain it, only give your own theories. I agree that the novels have a definite and not always sensible female touch (sorry ladies), sometimes bordering on the ridiculous, especially the Noguchi character. She may have been allowed to join a clan out of respect for Broken Tusk, but that's as far as it would've gone. She wouldn't have survived long fighting "bugs" without constant protection form the Preds who didn't care whether she lived or died. A race like the Preds would not be female dominated. Look at prides of lions (I know, ANOTHER earth example). The males are larger and stronger to defend the pride from any and all invaders. The females hunt food and care for the cubs. In most higher animals, the males are larger and stronger, not smaller. Also, in the first novel, it established that the Preds are probably mammalian and not reptilian, by the fact that Broken Tusk realized that Noguchi was female by recognizing her "milk glands" or something to that effect involving her boobies when she was injured. But who can say for sure? Life on other planets would definitely be vastly different from life here, with the possible exception of identical atmospheres. The Preds may be totally different from mammal, reptile, or anything else we have here on earth. That's what I hate about Star Trek. They always put human crap on alien races. I'm sorry, and this is not a racist comment, but making most major alien races have a caucasian side and an african (black) side is the height of stupidity and backward thinking. That's all Star Trek can come up with after over 40 years? Scary. It's called politically correct, nothing scientific about it. Every planet is different, and the creatures on those planets would be, for the most part, vastly different than on earth. They would fill the same niches, but many would be totally unrecognizeable to us. Also, what is this determination to link the Preds with the space jockeys? The space jockeys could've been transporting those eggs for any reason. Why do the Preds need to even know about the space jockeys? Space is vast. I don't think everybody out there knows everybody else, do you?

"Okay, for my part, the Preds hunt because they hunt. You can't explain it, only give your own theories."

I always this it's fun to theorize about such things. I usually watch my movies/ tv shows with a sense of "what if this was real... could this really be this way or that?" It makes it that much more realistic.

"I agree that the novels have a definite and not always sensible female touch (sorry ladies), sometimes bordering on the ridiculous, especially the Noguchi character. She may have been allowed to join a clan out of respect for Broken Tusk, but that's as far as it would've gone. She wouldn't have survived long fighting "bugs" without constant protection form the Preds who didn't care whether she lived or died."

I couldn't agree more. Hated Machiko.

"Look at prides of lions (I know, ANOTHER earth example)"...

we are only human.. we only have terrestrial things to compare anything to.

"The Preds may be totally different from mammal, reptile, or anything else we have here on earth. That's what I hate about Star Trek. They always put human crap on alien races"

The Predators may be totally different, but in the end, our little human brains are not big enough to comprehend what we don't understand, so how can we possibly compare it? I agree with many things about Star Trek, many of the alien races are rather human... I'm not talking TOS, but I am talking TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.. Most of the species in those episodes were very very very humanoid, even human- even downright cheesy. But there were episodes that featured some species that were very different, so different we couldn't even understand them, as I recall in one episode of Voyager. But unfortunately for Star Trek, the audience is human, and for the sake of the TV show, if the characters weren't the politically correct people that the audience could relate to, they'd probably fear they'd lose viewers. Heck, that didn't even help Enterprise past 4 years. I do think in Star Wars at least, there were more varities of non-human looking aliens, creatures with 4 arms, things that slithered, wasn't there a creature with 3 boobs? Or was that Star Trek IV I'm thinking of? Anyway, point is, we still can always only ever make Earthly comparisons to everything. That will probably never change in our lifetime.

Personally, I'd love to find out what real aliens are like.

totally agree with Rob, and he says this several times a yr, the novels are horse ****, they are about as much use as a 1 legged man in a arse kicking contest. i think the lucas/rodenberrry analogy is quite good also. and i wont even go into the yautja word, which is plain stoooooooopid. but then again it came from a novel so that explains ALOT

You two took the words right out of my mouth. Those novelizations should be burned. They are beyond retarded. God forbid that a race ACTUALLY be capable of engineering things on its own or doing things without the intervention of other superior one. That was what chapped my ass the most about AVP.

Far as I'm concerned, Predators, Aliens, Space Jockeys, Humans all evolved on separate paths & have simply came in contact with one another. Period. Predator society is NOT the ******** in the novels. PERIOD.

Yes I know this is an old thread but something I have wanted to get off my chest for a LONG time. I'm a newb so shoot me. Glad to see others feel the same as me though.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back