Empire Strikes Back question...

I always figured it was a random piece of junk, or part of the antenna.

The scene is a homage to the old cartoons: Wile E. Coyote stops short right at the edge of a cliff, and we get a view looking down and see a pebble falling. Visual clue- it's a long way down!

And the clouds BELOW him couldn't convey that to the audience? Man, people are so daft :p

His hand and saber proceeded him considerably..

I assume these mechanisms were in place to assure that no foreign object damage occured to the reactor at the bottom of the shaft or whatever was down there that kept the city aloft.

So whatever it was entered those purging ducts at the same time as he did or it is a broken off bit of antenna or other debris.

It's his blaster.

This has bugged me since I was a little kid watching on VHS...not too long ago I slowed it down on DVD on my computer and I'm 95% certain it's his DL-44, although I can't guarantee it.

An easy way to find out would be to notice if he has the blaster after boarding the Falcon. That is of course, assuming that the continuity is true to base...

Hello, Hello is this thing on.

The EU is canon.

It was his hand and lightsaber.

You guys aren't allowed to re-write the script, you're not qualified.

The EU is canon.

I thought they found his hand and lightsaber stuck somewhere in the city, not on the planet below? Besides, how would they recover something from a gas giant?

I really don't remember, it's been ages since I've read those books (assuming you are in fact referring to the C'boath/Luuke books). Do they mention specifically where they found it?

Apparently this guy found it.

lukeshand.jpg

To me, it has always CLEARLY been his blaster.

As stated, the hand would have shown flesh tone, and the saber would be with it most likely. The shape would be very different.

To me, there is NO mistaking the shape of the scope thing and the handle/barrel. But I guess some people like to argue about this.. :)

Well, It is NOT his blaster, which is in his holster the entire scene, and the scene following it. And it doesn't have any cloth parts. Plus. why would they have him dangling there with the thing in his holster the whole time, knowing he's supposed to look down at it? It's probably just random debris, to show scale, like someone said.

I also always thought it was his hand, because of the cylindrical portion, and the cloth piece (sleeve?) that seems to blow in the wind. But I got slammed for starting this exact thread about 6 years ago. I thought Luke seeing his hand falling away was supposed to give a sense of loss...closure....his failure. Like when he looks down at his hand in Jedi. Whatever.

But that cartoonish and contrived comic book EU keeps coming up as an explanation, so..... it MUST be right.:lol Hey whatever happened to "Jaster Mereel"?:lol (Awesome name, btw). I always feel sorry for all the kids, growing up not knowing that other people have decided that they haven't seen the whole story.:rolleyes Poor things......their stupid parents only showed them ALL SIX movies..........

And the clouds BELOW him couldn't convey that to the audience? Man, people are so daft :p

This method is a tried and true fallback in cinematography though. It also helps lend realism to the background painting they used to show the clouds/city stem.

Just about any movie where you watch a person stop just short of falling off a cliff you always see some rocks/debris going off the side and bouncing down. It heightens the peril I guess.

With all due respect, I don't think the issue at stake here is why we see the thing fall...I think we can all agree on that. We're just wondering what the heck it actually is...it just seems a bit out of place with the rest of the scene.

Has anyone even stopped and considered how preposterous it would be to have him catch up with his hand, how completely undermining of the tone of the scene it would be? To have him catch up with his hand is what you'd do in a comic parody. It would be ludicrous hamfisted over-statement. It's not his hand. It's some insignificant piece of debris falling from either him or the antenna, the sole purpose of which is to increase our sense of the desperation of Luke's plight by showing the fall that awaits him. What the thing is is virtually irrelevant. The vocab of the film tells you it doesn't matter by the very fact of it not being shown properly. Kershner knew what he was doing. Trust him; you don't need to know what it is. That the EU decided it was Luke's hand means the EU is BS.

With all due respect, I don't think the issue at stake here is why we see the thing fall...I think we can all agree on that. We're just wondering what the heck it actually is...it just seems a bit out of place with the rest of the scene.

Mayhaps you didn't read the quote I was referring to in my post. I know what the subject is and I don't have a specific opinion as to what the object seen falling is.

Although if I were to hazard a guess it is part of the antenna or something from his belt. If it IS his hand that would be pretty stupid...
lukefalling.jpg

With this many vents and there were many more shown than this what are the odds that his hand fell in the same place he does.

I just can't think that it's hand, I mean what are the chances of locating his hand once they lose it. I mean, did the the force enhance vaders hand fetish to the point he was able to track it down?

The EU is canon.

I honestly have never thought anything different. But that screen cap does make it look like a belt pouch or a square piece of debris.

Could just be they didn'g have the tech to make it visable enough or they just thought moviegoers would see a blob falling and assume it's his lightsaber/hand.

I think it being his saber and/or hand makes it MUUUCH more dramatic. And a perfect end to the scene and what he has faced and lost.

Will be interesting to see if the shot and effect is cleared up "improved" for the BR.

Has anyone even stopped and considered how preposterous it would be to have him catch up with his hand, how completely undermining of the tone of the scene it would be? To have him catch up with his hand is what you'd do in a comic parody. It would be ludicrous hamfisted over-statement. It's not his hand. It's some insignificant piece of debris falling from either him or the antenna, the sole purpose of which is to increase our sense of the desperation of Luke's plight by showing the fall that awaits him. What the thing is is virtually irrelevant. The vocab of the film tells you it doesn't matter by the very fact of it not being shown properly. Kershner knew what he was doing. Trust him; you don't need to know what it is. That the EU decided it was Luke's hand means the EU is BS.

While the hand obviously made it down to the tumes faster... I would say that his 170lb self would slide down the tubes faster than it...

Who knows.

I just assumed it was his saber for the effect of what Luke had lost. All his belief in being a Jedi. The power he weilded through his saber. The last piece of his father and the Jedi... gone.

But I get what you are saying too Colin. Problem is. What did the original script/screenplay call for?

It isn't a matter of science/gravity. It is a matter of what was written and brought to life by the FX team.

Either way a very interesting question.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back