Emperor Palpatine bust paintup/finishing

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Howlrunner, May 18, 2015.

1. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I recently got the fantastic Cyberman/Gino bust of Palpatine and have been working on cleaning him up (VERY little work to do) and getting him painted.

What may at first look like a very simple white paintjob was actually a real multi-toned pain!

Here's the basic run down of all the colours that I ended up using:

Citadel Elf Flesh base
    Citadel Dwarf Flesh wash
    Elf Flesh stippled on top, followed by an Elf Flesh wash
    Humbrol 34 White wash(es)
    White drybrush
    Humbrol 121 Pale Stone wash
    Humbrol 28 Camouflage Grey drydrush
    Humbrol 87 Steel Grey wash in creases
    Dwarf Flesh wash on eyelids
    Acrylic Dusty Rose wash on eyelids and lips
    Acrylic Lilac wash in some creases
    Citadel Daemonette Hide wash on eyelids
    Humbrol 33 Black wash in nostrils and where lips meet

He's also a real pain to photograph - sometimes he looks white, other times he looks more fleshtone:

[​IMG]

The picture on the left was taken with my iPhone, the picture on the right was taken with my Fujifilm digital camera. The iPhone picture was taken about 1.5 metres closer than the other photo, hence the difference in face shape as well (which I find pretty interesting).

Obviously he needs proper eyes - both the correct colour, and with smaller irises. I just used these ones I had spare to help with visualisation. New ones are being custom made by Tech Optics.

And to see what he will (sort of) look like with his hood (I just threw a black sweatshirt over his head for this shot):

[​IMG]

And with a little (not very good) Photoshop to change the eye colour:

[​IMG]

So, anyone know of a source for the accurate waffle weave fabric for the hood, or of a source for accurate hoods for this bust?

mugatu and SofaKing01 like this.
  2. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic paint job! He looks alive!

3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. jkno

jkno Master Member

Very cool. And I think you also need to photograph it under special lighting, in partial shadow, like it was seen on screen.

5. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

A very well executed paint application. :thumbsup

Can Phil not help you out with regards obtaining accurate fabric?

6. Sam Browne

Sam Browne New Member

As Sym-Cha said above, www.clothearscostumes.com managed to find the full monty waffle material for my robes, If you haven't sourced it elsewhere yet, I'd give them a go 1st shout.

Sam

Sym-Cha likes this.
  7. Howlrunner

Thanks guys. The custom eyes from Tech Optics finally arrived yesterday, so Palpatine is now finished and looking great. :)

[​IMG]

(Sorry, it's not the best photo as I was determined to take a pic even though it was night-time so not the best lighting)

On the hunt for a hood next....

Sym-Cha and Unfated like this.
  8. Howlrunner

Found a decent (not 100% accurate, but I can live with it) black waffle weave throw online which I've used for the hood. It's not cut up or stitched or anything. So for now, I'm finally calling this guy done. :)

[​IMG]

jkno and Unfated like this.