Elkman's P1 mask

Elkman

Sr Member
I've started sculpting a Predator mask. It's still in the rough stages right now, but so far I've been working on the mandibles and the inner jaw. What do you guys think?

Mask3-500px.jpg

Mask4-500px.jpg

By the way, the rust-orange "teeth" at the end of the mandibles aren't the real teeth I'm going to put in there. Those are just there for reference. I'm going to sculpt the real teeth separately after I do the latex casting. I figure I've got enough of a challenge already with the undercuts that are involved.

Any comments on the proportions, the texture, or the general layout?

Mask3-500px.jpg

Mask4-500px.jpg

I've done a lot more work on the sculpt since I last posted. I thickened the back of the head and made holes where the dreads are going to be attached, and I've defined the forehead and top of the head. Here are a couple more pictures.
Mask5-500px.jpg

Mask6-500px.jpg

I used a texture stamp to make the texture on the back around the dreads, as well as on the left side of the head (the Yautja's left side, that is). I'm not totally sure I'm going to stay with it, since using a texture stamp feels like it's cheating, but the texture looks reasonable, anyway.

I still need to do the detailing around the temples and on the back of the head. I might also decide to revise certain things, like the ridges on the top of the head.

Any comments?

Mask5-500px.jpg

Mask6-500px.jpg

I like where this is going! Love the detailing!

A few comments: to give it a more distinguished Pred look, I'd set back the inner mouth a tiny little bit in direction of the spine and make the mandibles a bit more prominent. The eyesockets could be a bit deeper and narrower, bring the brows down. Finally, I'd elongate the back of the head upwards. But that's just me... ;-)

rock on!

This is how I plan on doing my mask as well, but with slight variation to it.
Update?
Here are a couple photos of the finished and painted mask, along with dreads:
MaskComplete-5-600px.JPG

MaskComplete-8-600px.JPG

Mouth%20Repaint-1-600px.jpg

Yeah, I know the North Shore Inline Marathon volunteer T-shirt isn't very Predator-like, but I hadn't even started the skin when I took these photos.

I think I did a couple things that threw the proportion a little bit off, though. The mandibles (especially the lower ones) project out a little more than they really should, so that's throwing off the bio that I'm sculpting. Also, I think I should have brought the dreadlocks up higher in the back. It sort of looked to me at first that the biohelmet sits flat on the Predator's head, especially from the action figure that I'm using as a reference, but I think it's really supposed to be more sloped.

MaskComplete-5-600px.JPG

MaskComplete-8-600px.JPG

Mouth%20Repaint-1-600px.jpg

Looks quite good Are you going to sculpt a bio to go with it now?

With the mask are you going to apply a coat to give it a slight sheen or are you going to leave it as is?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back