Elkman's P1 mask, continued

Elkman

Sr Member
It's been a while since I posted pictures of the mask I'm working on, but here's an update. I basically finished the sculpture in mid-January, but I wanted to get some dreads so I knew exactly what size to make the holes.

Anyway, I finished the Ultracal 30 mold last week, and I did the latex cast last weekend. Here's a picture of the raw mask, as I'm wearing it:
MaskProgress7.jpg

I'm going to have to fix those top teeth, because they came out really badly in the latex.

I'm in the process of painting it. Here's the base coat:
MaskProgress8.jpg

By the way, I had trouble getting the paint color right. The first one was way too yellowish-brown, while the second was still too yellow. I think I finally came up with a color that looked decent... except it still looks a bit on the yellow side. I didn't want to have to mix paint a fourth time, though.

That round disc in the middle is a steel washer. I'm going to use them with magnets in the bio to hold it on while I'm wearing it.

I started painting the spots this evening. Here are a couple pictures:
MaskProgress9.jpg

MaskProgress10.jpg

I was going for a really dark brown on the spots. I can't tell from the reference materials if they're supposed to be really dark brown, or just pure black.

Any comments?

MaskProgress7.jpg

MaskProgress8.jpg

MaskProgress9.jpg

MaskProgress10.jpg

Thanks, Blade3327!

I've finished the paintup, and I added teeth and glued the dreads on last night. So, except for the last coat of Perma-Wet, it's complete. I'm happy with how the paint came out.

MaskComplete-5-600px.JPG

MaskComplete-8-600px.JPG

Of course, I don't look quite like a fearsome Predator in an orange T-shirt, but you get the idea. :)

MaskComplete-5-600px.JPG

MaskComplete-8-600px.JPG

Hey man, nice work so far!

You might want to consider giving your paintjob some more depth bij adding browns and other little tones to it, and some veins in the mouth area.
This should make it look a bit more defined and organic.
Just my opinion!

Good luck!

Hey man, nice work so far!

You might want to consider giving your paintjob some more depth bij adding browns and other little tones to it, and some veins in the mouth area.
This should make it look a bit more defined and organic.
Just my opinion!

Good luck!

That's what I was just going to suggest. Also, the mouth just seems too pink and flat to me right now. You should add some different coloring in there to break it up.

You're definitely on the right track though. Looking good!

That's what I was just going to suggest. Also, the mouth just seems too pink and flat to me right now. You should add some different coloring in there to break it up.

You're definitely on the right track though. Looking good!

You guys were right about the mouth -- it needed a little work. I went in there and painted it with some darker red paint to give it some texture. When it was done, I almost ended up scaring myself with it.
Mouth%20Repaint-1-600px.jpg

I might have to fix those top teeth -- they came out crooked.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mouth%20Repaint-1-600px.jpg

Try painting the skin with some more transitions, a good tip for the color of the predator from Steve Wang is to imagine an old banana peel that is discolored. Yellow that is bruised to brown, darker and lighter sports.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back