Eliminate stamps on blades

BikerPuppy

Hi all. I’m a newbie, and I hope someone good with blade props can help me out. I bought a nice-looking (but fairly cheap) blade as a prop for my annual Halloween party. There is a very noticeable “Made in China” stamp on the steel blade near the hilt that I want to hide/cover/obliterate/disguise.

Is there a preferred method of doing this? I was thinking of soldering over it and then sanding and buffing, but I don’t want to screw it up. I have other blades I’d like to do the same to, but they are much nicer and I want to practice on the cheap one first.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I've personally found that any attempt I'VE ever made to fill in such engraved text with soldering or anything else always leaves a telltale hint of the prior text, no matter how perfectly you polish it. Seems to be more of a problem with contrasting color between the filler material and the blade's metal than with surface irregularities. Can you fill/sand/polish then attach a decorative cut-out of shim-stock (or even heavy-duty aluminum foil tape) on this part of the blade? I don't know what style blade this is or what might be appropriate for an exact concealing design cut-out, but would that work?

Can you fill/sand/polish then attach a decorative cut-out of shim-stock (or even heavy-duty aluminum foil tape) on this part of the blade?

I hadn’t thought of covering it with foil tape. Maybe I’ll try that first and see how close the match is. Thanks Shabazz!

Hope it works for you. The foil tape is use is an extra-heavy gauge type, not the flimsy paper-backed stuff normally used for ducting work. This stuff is actual aluminum with its own adhesive back, easy to cut, very durable once placed, but I don't know where to find it anymore.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back