Electronics help - SGU Door Opener

FuseNova

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I building up a door opener from SGU and want the light to switch from one light to another. So basically, a 12V A/B light switch.

I know this is stupid simple and cant believe I cant find the right Google terms.

Help appreciated!

Without much more information, Stormleader has the simplest approach:

switchc.jpg

With more details, comes more methods.

Yes, the request is terribly lacking in details. I had to think for a minute to work out what an SGU was. Something to do with Stargate, I assume.

Funny thing is, I didn't mean to post this yesterday until I thought about this more. I came back to this PC today and the message was posted. Oops.

- A rocker will not work - I need a push button.

- Each push should alternate between light LED A and LED B.

I'll use one of the lower buttons to turn it on/off.

Funny thing is, I didn't mean to post this yesterday until I thought about this more. I came back to this PC today and the message was posted. Oops.

- A rocker will not work - I need a push button.

- Each push should alternate between light LED A and LED B.

I'll use one of the lower buttons to turn it on/off.

You can get latching push button switches

EDIT: Sorry, total brain fart there. There's probably an easier solution than this one, but it's not coming to me at the minute

Schematic6.jpg

Ok, that's actually the 5th time I've changed that pic....it's definitely right this time :D Except for the fact that you need to add another toggle switch to the lower circuit....otherwise it'll be permanantly on

Last edited:
NormanF's idea should work, but you might have to attach both LED's to the NO parts of the switch, depending on how the switch works.

Dunno if you managed it in the end ?
but see this thread to my alternating on off door light

http://www.therpf.com/f45/stargate-universe-door-cog-136129/

post Nr 8 has my pics,

how I did it, was take off the brown door knob
drill through the black plastic block, mount two push button micro swithces on top of each other inside the drilled block with one if the off and the other in the on position, connect a single power source (12v DC) to both switches, and then superglue the brown knob onto the 2nd microswitch
... when you then press the knob it will turn the on one off, and the off one on :))
... NB the hard part is making sure you DONT drill too deep into the block as then your 2nd micro switch wont be able to peep out of the drilled hole for you to have the push button effect

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back