Electronics for 10th Sonic Screwdriver

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by AgentTripleZero, Mar 1, 2012.

1. AgentTripleZero

AgentTripleZero New Member

Hello,

I am a long-time lurker to this forum, and am also in the midst of personally assembling a Sonic Screwdriver like the one used by the 10th Doctor. As I have seen that this topic is sometimes a tense one on this site, I should state for the record that I don't have much of any interest in constructing an EXACT replica that is "100% accurate" or otherwise. Truth be told, this screwdriver is meant to be a gift to someone very dear to me... but I digress.

My reason for posting is this - I am looking for helpful tips on doing the wiring for a Sonic Screwdriver from scratch. I understand that it is very easy to simply cannibalize one of the toys to get the necessary parts, but as a Mechanical Engineer I am also very interested in increasing my knowledge of electronics - the project will be both a test of my existing CAD/CNC skills, and a chance to acquire new ones in electronics, I hope.

In the interest of the pursuit of knowledge, I ask if anyone has an electronic diagram/schematic of the LED light and buzzer, and any helpful suggestions on where I could find a buzzer that makes the Sonic's distinct sound? Electronics were never my strong suit, and I'm a bit weary of getting electrocuted due to a careless error (one of my fears... long story involving cattle fences and an idiot brother :rolleyes hahaha). As an aside, I am also curious about why photos from "Behind the Scenes" show the Sonic in a case containing AAA batteries, yet most of the builds and toys choose instead to use 3 LR-44s? Is it simply because of the voltage difference or is there more to this? I ask because it seems more economic to use a AAA.

Again, any and all constructive help is much appreciated - I've seen no posts here or elsewhere on the subject and was hoping for some friendly assistance. Thank you!

2. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think I can answer your battery question. The filming props use different batteries because they didn't need the extra room for sound.

3. phez

phez Sr Member

Those are not the AAA batteries in the box (they are a bit smaller). They are smaller 12V battries. I think the Duracell equivalent is 12V MN27/A27.

I think you will need an audio circuit to record the sound if you want it to sound like on the show (not a buzzer).

You are not likely going to get electrocuted with this. Your brother did not trick you into peeing on the fence did he :lol:lol:lol

Found the photo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  4. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member