Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - Sigil of Akatosh

FrogmanStudio

Hello all!

Like alot of people, I've been playing WAY too much Skyrim lately, and wanted to do something related to the game.

The main screen of the game shows the symbol for the god, Akatosh, which is also the symbol for the Empire. I really love that image, so wanted to work that into a small prop, like an amulet, or a form of badge of office.

Here's a link to the image I used, since it's quite large (here!)

I cut out the base shape of the diamond after figuring out the angles of the sides, cut it out in styrene, and made some side panels as well. I made it thin, as I hand wanted this to be easily hand held.

akatosh02.jpg

akatosh03.jpg

I sculpted the dragon in Castilene, which at first I had some issues is, but this project has returned my love of this particular sculpting wax.

akatosh05.jpg

For more images, check out my blog post!

The Sigil of Akatosh.

Thanks for looking!

Oh man this looks awesome!

I'd definitely be interested in one of these if they're going to be cast. The front door of my PC is dying for something like this!

Thanks for the interest everyone!
I should be doing some casts later to see how the mold came out, though I only noticed a few small air bubbles. I'm gonna experiment with adding graphite powder to see if I can get the same dark metal look as it appears.

Beautiful sculpt! I've been enjoying my time in Skyrim, and I always loved this sigil's design. What issues were you having with the Castilene? I'm just curious, I've never worked with that medium.

Thanks all!

Boodha- Castilene is a hard wax clay, which can occasionally stick to tools, and you need to heat it to really work it well. It took alittle bit of getting used to, but it's great for smaller pieces especially. Model makers at Sideshow Collectibles use it quite a lot, and I've started to grow fond of it. Like any new material, you just need to get used to it.

I've taken a few pictures of a test pull I made, and I'm really pleased!

TES V: Skyrim – Sigil of Akatosh « Allan Harwood

akatosh09.jpg

I will take a few more in abit with harsher shadows to show the details.

Last edited:
Very impressive. Be sure to let us know here if you're going offer these. I'd definately be down for a casting.

Oz

Thanks Oz! I do plan on offering these in runs. I wanted to also offer them with a cold cast metal version, but my test cast with just using Smooth On 300 (store was out of the color match 325) and the Nickle powder from Smooth on failed, I will need to do another test with the proper resin.

Also since a few people asked, the dimensions are 5 1/2 inches tall, 2 1/2 inches wide.

Has anyone had success in using Smooth-On's 325 mesh powdered metals?
I had intended on doing a few casts of the symbol in cold-cast nickle, but have been running into a few issues.

Chief among them is the castings are so small, that I only need alittle bit of resin to fill it up (under 1 ounce in a mixing cup), which makes adding in the powder tricky, as I'm not sure how much to put in without using too much, and if I should do a few brush up layers until it's filled enough, then pour in a back layer.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I use them regularly.

A good ratio is equal amounts of Part A, Part B, and metal. There's not really a benefit to skim coating a part that small, so you're better off just filling it solid.

I just read over your sales thread, and I'd hazard a guess that your problem with the cold casting is the resin you are using. I am assuming of course that your problem is the castings not polishing correctly.

Regular white resins are no good for cold casting. You need to use either the Color Match resins with black tint, or better yet the Onyx resins.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back