Elder Scrolls Skyrim Morokei Dragon Priest mask

I honestly don't like being the one that keeps bumping old threads, but it's getting there and I don't want to clog the forums with another Dragon Priest mask.

Better if I keep hijacking this one and finish what I start. Lest I look like a quitter.

Almost there. Still lots of refining to do.
iz80tx.jpg

That looks great! Awesome job! I'll be honest though, I do not know what technique you are using to sculpt this. Is half of that plastic and you did a reverse pull of it?

I do feel bad about posting renders on YJ's thread. I honestly didn't have in mind to hijack his thread and I'm sure you neither :) I actually just wanted his input on how well he thought the buck would work with a cnc (hypothetically)

But if he's really OK with us posting our versions of this then I guess I can share the super simple pep model I made of this when I was sick a while ago.

397169_224589194293656_209271642492078_489299_2034498988_n.jpg
401173_224589270960315_209271642492078_489300_354382033_n.jpg

403775_224589394293636_209271642492078_489301_317301115_n.jpg
397080_224588560960386_209271642492078_489296_1865694395_n.jpg

Turns out the mask was a pretty good reflection of how I actually felt at the time I was building it! :lol So it was a very therapeutic three hours for me. I'm not really a fan of using paper to build these models anymore (as opposed to using the patterns with other materials), but it was nice to sit down and get back to my papercraft roots :)

I think this is as far as I'm going to go with this project, maybe I'll get back to it someday. This was the only Skyrim asset that I really wanted to build. I am already looking forward to their first expansion for new stuff!

Good luck on your masks as well, I look forward to seeing how these turn out!

-Hugh

@Axiom

I messed up too much to get a reverse pull like I had planned to and I had to come up with something else and on the spot. I did two test pulls of the original half-sclupt and this one (the one pictured) was the sturdiest and cleanest one to work with. I destroyed the original clay sculpt so I could reuse it to make the other half.

It'd be arrogant of me to call my own stuff 'accurate' but everything I sclupted is what I saw in-game on my mannequin; the tricky thing about that now is trying to get it to look symmetrical (or at least close to it). Faults and all.

Last edited:
I actually just wanted his input on how well he thought the buck would work with a cnc (hypothetically)

That's not how I would have designed the buck, assuming you had intended to use it for vaccum forming. Not only would you have to use a 5-axis system to cut that shape, that undercut would actually lock the buck into the plastic you're forming over it. When designing parts like this I try to put a slight taper on the edge of the part at least twice the thickness of the plastic you're pulling. Designing a base that is unnecessarily tall can overstretch your plastic, and possibly even pop it.

Like with a lot of things in life, the most simple answer is usually the best. I'd just find the edge of the model and offset that an inch or so, and drop that straight down to create the base.

As for threadjacking, feel free man. If we want to make this thread an aggregate for all things dragonpriests, that sounds good to me.

Better if I keep hijacking this one and finish what I start. Lest I look like a quitter.

That's cuttin deep Poopa. haha

Great progress made. In fact, I'll spare you the stories of woe and failure and get to the stage I'm at.

This is the first pull from my less-than-stellar mold (I'm still rather new to all this mold-making business) after a brief appointment with Dr. Emel.

4puouf.jpg

It's nice to finally see it one piece and one whole color. After the pull, as I'm sure you could tell, there was some fixin' needin' to be done but I'm pretty happy with how this came out.

Further refining needs doin' and then on to paint!

Last edited:
gorgeous progress on this mask! when i make my second one i will be popping in on here for reference , you have done a fantastic job , cant wait to see it all painted

My goal is near and the end of the longest mask build in the history of prop making is drawing to a close.

Gray bits are Apoxy sculpt to fix some last minutes mistakes.
I shall paint and finish this thing on the morrow.

Already commented on you Facebook page, but still want to throw kudos at you here for the nice work, I really like the unique texture you did, it's fantastic !

seeing the texture on the blank mask- i didnt like it. but with paint, that looks really good.

good god man. how long did it take to dremmel all of that?

3 days, but only about 2-3 hours of actual work. After 20-30 minutes your hand seizes up and you have to take a break.

Its just a matter of putting on your headphones and tapping out the rhythm of the song using your dremel. Bzzzrt bzzrt bzzzrt bzbzbzbz bzzrt :p

The texture really creeps me out for some reason. I guess it's a success if it can do that!

Nice to finally see this done along with all your other Skyrim props.;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back