Elder Scrolls Skyrim Morokei Dragon Priest mask

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Yodajammies, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

I just beat one of these jerks in game the other day, and it wasn't enough to kill him and loot his body virtually; I wanted his head on my WALL. So I whipped up a quick 3d model, played around with milling clay on our 5-axis machine at work, and came up with this. It was an exercise to see if you could actually mill sculpting clay, which incidentally you cannot. The detail really didn't come through, but being able to change the scale of your part after you've already cut it once was pretty cool.

I'll have the scrap molded cast done tomorrow, and *fingers crossed* the final mold done on tuesday. Then on to cold casting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scrap cast.
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick clip of the milling process. ROBITS! 5-axis clay milling the Skyrim DragonPriest - YouTube

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. Uopap

Uopap Active Member

Very cool, I'm playing right now and have this mask.

3. Sandman0077

Sandman0077 Sr Member

Very cool. What if you used dry clay for the milling? Then you could touch up with more clay. Idk I've never milled or used clay so just a blind idea.

4. infymys

infymys Sr Member

I could have made one of these. But, I took an arrow to the knee.

Jannix Quinn likes this.
  5. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*, I've got about three in my collection (the masks, that is) and I've been meaning to make one of these masks since I've got my first one in-game. Beat me to it!

6. loco lord

loco lord New Member

love the idea! got the krossis one in game. Was thinking on maby starting with a horned iron helmet or something from the game. like the one he got in the trailer. Cant wait to see the finished result!

7. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

+1

Dry clay? I'm not sure what you mean by that....

The stuff I used was Chavant NSP-Med. It was a test to see if we can use sculpting clay on the mill rather than clay that are specifically designed for milling. If we can get decent results with sclupting clay, the mold shop has a MUCH easier time of cleaning up / making changes to the model after the fact.

I think for the next test I'll try NSP hard and drop the buck into the freezer for a couple hours to harden it up.

8. aron42486

aron42486 Well-Known Member

Was the friction from the milling causing the clay to melt? Hard is some pretty tough stuff but i guess if it heats up enough itll melt just the same. The freezer idea might work though, definitely worth a shot

9. StewYZF750

StewYZF750 Well-Known Member

Wow, that mill looks like a great way to create new pieces - if you have access to one.

10. Ilikeyellow

Ilikeyellow New Member

Looks good. The freezer is a good idea, would be very good if you got it to work.

11. Escapay

Escapay New Member

This is great. I was wondering when the skyrim stuff would start popping up. Excellent work!

12. oculus1857

oculus1857 Well-Known Member

Love it!! :love

13. Peep Williams

Peep Williams Active Member

Oh man, the minute i got one in game I wanted to make one for real also! I was thinking it would be awesome to have the wooden one, but I'd want to go a different route, I was thinking it wouldnt be too bad to create a rough shape with pepakura, and then go from there with bondo/clay for details and make a cast... I've never cast anything before though haha so I probably won't ever make it myself.
    Fantastic job!

14. Jawa Lunk

Jawa Lunk New Member

Nice! I have made a ton of props from different games, and I have been looking at quite a few things from Skyrim to build...I have thought about building a mask as well, but with my wife and I just purchasing a new abode, it will be next year before my shop is done, grrrrr...so you guys have to build stuff for me until I can build again...LOL

15. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

^^ Do it man! Pep can be a powerful tool in your arsenal. It's a fairly simple/small shape that would be modestly simple to paper fold.

16. Snxi

Snxi New Member

Looks very nice!

17. GOING SOLO

GOING SOLO Well-Known Member

LOVE IT!

18. Peep Williams

I grabbed a bunch of screenshots for reference, you probably don't need them, but I thought it might be cool.
    [​IMG]

19. TheValeyard

TheValeyard New Member

I have this mask on my Skyrim character right now. Yours looks great!

20. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Ah thanks peep! These would have come in handy while making the 3d model.

JEEZ, just finish already! I've got some minor clean up to do in all the nooks and crannies with this scrap cast, but it's nearly there. With a slick paintjob, I can imagine these would go unnoticed, but that's the bane of one who is OCD.

If anyone wants to sign up as my personal motivator - sending me hate mail and threats of violence if I don't finish my work on time, I'm now taking applications.

[​IMG]

21. Peep Williams

that looks awesome!
    I honestly can't wait to see it finished up!

22. DAHLBERG

DAHLBERG New Member

Looks really good! :D Have been searching the whole web for a pepakurafile for this... Since I couldn't find one I'm making my own :) But I've never made a pepfile from a model before so it's a little trial and error... Also when I make 3Dmodels I tend to use to many polys :S This time I've tried to keep them low... Still I'ts to many.

Here's the model smoothed with nurbs (the one for pepakura is lowpoly ofc). I used Cinema 4D

I have to learn how to use hypernurbs properly, but I think this will do for a preview :)

Oh! I have to make a lot of adjustments now when Peep Williams uploaded really good reference pics! I made this one with just the frontpic and a little from memory :S

View attachment 77446
    View attachment 77447

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  23. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

hey that looks great!

If I could give some critique - I'd adjust angle on the eye slits to soften his expression. This character looks more mornful than angry. I picture them more as these burnt out husks of their former selves, kind of like the Nazgul from LOTR. Their masks in turn reflect a sort of despair that also borders on creepy and omnious, rather than angry or wrathful.

24. PoopaPapaPalps

I've been working on Dragon Priest mask, myself, and for not having sculpted anything for a while, I'm pretty proud of how clean it came out. If I can grab a better camera than the one I've got laying around, I'll put up pics if I can.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  25. lukel4

lukel4 Active Member

this looks fantastic. i havent got one in game yet but am still wanting to make a real one!

26. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

Looks great YJ,

You said you modeled the mask in a CAD program, but I was wondering what your thoughts were on using other programs to create more organic shapes for CNC? I have followed some of your work in the past and it seemed like you prefer to using sculpting packages like Zbrush.

So I'm just wondering if you have any experience using programs like cut3D to use .stl and .obj models?

Again, great work! I look forward to seeing the finished product!

27. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

This mask was modeled in 3dsMAX2010, but zbrush is certainly just as valid a package for modeling organics. As far as milling goes, the general rule of thumb from my experience has been, if your model can be created using surfaces (ie, parametric modeling) rather than polys, do so. It isn't going to make a lot of difference for a CAM suite like cut3d, but for a technical package like rhinocam or powermill, there are a lot of features you can't use on an stl model.

I have cut2d/3d at home and while it is more than servicable for hobby CNC work it is incredibly inefficient when compared to a professional package. But I guess that is to be expected when seats of powermill run 30,000$ a pop.

But to answer your question in an incredibly roundabout way, apart from 5 axis operations, cut3d can do everything I'm doing here with just about any obj or stl. I prefer stl format as it seems to be a little more accurate in translation.

28. PoopaPapaPalps

I've been sculpting this on and off again over a span of maybe two weeks; having caught a stomach flu really slows down any progress.

This mask had a lot more detail than I imagined. Lots of of dips, curves with few sharp edges. I could've spent much more time on a few minor, finicky things in certain spots, but after having spent almost 12 hours straight on sculpting, resculpting, getting frustrated, scrapping, and resculpting that cheek last night, I thought I should stop while I'm ahead and start molding.

Just got done applying Rebound 25 on it (and I realized that I should've gotten the thickening agent; terrible foresight on my part).

[​IMG]

Apologies on the crappy cell phone camera picture but this is what it looked like before I tweaked the sculpt just a tad right before I applied the rubber.

There's a total of ten (including the final and wooden mask) in-game, I dunno if I'll make them all but I haven't quite ruled out the idea entirely.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  29. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Wow that looks amazing! I'm definitely liking your rendition more.

30. Peep Williams

Woah Poopa that looks amazing! You've got such skill! Are you going to keep it all half destroyed looking or what?

31. PoopaPapaPalps

OH, heavens no. It's only half completed because I don't have enough clay to make the full thing:rolleyes. However, it is playing to my advantage.

The lack of materials has made me much more resourceful with my---resources. I make a really pretty half and make a negative of that half. Flip and reverse the silicone jacket sleeve and make a negative from that. Trim the fat so that both jackets are split evenly down the middle, combine the sleeves and make a single support shell for it and, theoretically, I should yield a perfectly symmetrical pull.

Theoretically.:lol

Then again, if that doesn't work out, I'll just work on the cast until it's just right and use that as a master for future productions.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  32. PoopaPapaPalps

D'OH! My enthusiasm cripples me once again!

I ran into a wee spot of trouble now as I've made the mold a little too thick and it won't hold its shape (even if I got it thin enough, I still don't think it would've worked) when I reverse it. So, now I've got one pretty side that I can cast but nothing for the other for a symmetrical mask. I've got little resources and little money at my disposal at the moment, thus I ask the RPF: anyone know how I can get a reverse duplicate of this half on the cheap?

I've scoped out a few sites that offer 3D scanning and 3D printing services but all of them seem to not take send-in orders.

33. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

I've been looking at getting one of the newer hand held scanners for a while now, but the price still isn't quite in my range yet I don't know of any 'manual' technique for doing what you ask for unfortunately.

I had a creative burst this Christmas day and found time to sit down and do a sculpt of this as a little exercise. I'm liking it so far :) - so much that I went ahead and prepped it for milling. I think when I find time in the future I'll add some stone texturing and weather damage just to see how much detail I can pull out of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know how useful a digitally sculpted buck would be. In THEORY all you would need to do is add four walls and pour your mold. I don't know how well it would work though.

Meh, was fun anyways. I have reference ready to go for the Stormcloak helm for our brothers and sisters that took an arrow to the knee... soon

Merry Christmas everyone!

34. Peep Williams

Merry Christmas, well Merry Day-After-Christmas now, that looks superb!

35. PoopaPapaPalps

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished thing.

36. Caballo Glue

Caballo Glue Guest

Id pay good cash for a finished kit ready for paint!

37. Popeanator

Popeanator Active Member

That is soo awesome man Can't wait to see it finished!

38. PoopaPapaPalps

After seeing some other masks pop up on the forums, it gave me a bit of inspiration to go back and work on my mask some more.

It's getting there. Still needs a bit more refining.
    [​IMG]

39. rundown

rundown Sr Member

Yey more priest fanatics! I think you guys might like this. I'm releasing it as a freebie soon =3
    [​IMG]

40. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Nice work as always Rundown!

Keep up the mask making yall. Maybe that will finally light a fire under my butt to finish mine. :lol

41. PoopaPapaPalps

I honestly don't like being the one that keeps bumping old threads, but it's getting there and I don't want to clog the forums with another Dragon Priest mask.

Better if I keep hijacking this one and finish what I start. Lest I look like a quitter.

Almost there. Still lots of refining to do.
    [​IMG]

42. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

That looks great! Awesome job! I'll be honest though, I do not know what technique you are using to sculpt this. Is half of that plastic and you did a reverse pull of it?

I do feel bad about posting renders on YJ's thread. I honestly didn't have in mind to hijack his thread and I'm sure you neither :) I actually just wanted his input on how well he thought the buck would work with a cnc (hypothetically)

But if he's really OK with us posting our versions of this then I guess I can share the super simple pep model I made of this when I was sick a while ago.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Turns out the mask was a pretty good reflection of how I actually felt at the time I was building it! :lol So it was a very therapeutic three hours for me. I'm not really a fan of using paper to build these models anymore (as opposed to using the patterns with other materials), but it was nice to sit down and get back to my papercraft roots :)

I think this is as far as I'm going to go with this project, maybe I'll get back to it someday. This was the only Skyrim asset that I really wanted to build. I am already looking forward to their first expansion for new stuff!

Good luck on your masks as well, I look forward to seeing how these turn out!

-Hugh

43. PoopaPapaPalps

@Axiom

I messed up too much to get a reverse pull like I had planned to and I had to come up with something else and on the spot. I did two test pulls of the original half-sclupt and this one (the one pictured) was the sturdiest and cleanest one to work with. I destroyed the original clay sculpt so I could reuse it to make the other half.

It'd be arrogant of me to call my own stuff 'accurate' but everything I sclupted is what I saw in-game on my mannequin; the tricky thing about that now is trying to get it to look symmetrical (or at least close to it). Faults and all.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  44. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

That's not how I would have designed the buck, assuming you had intended to use it for vaccum forming. Not only would you have to use a 5-axis system to cut that shape, that undercut would actually lock the buck into the plastic you're forming over it. When designing parts like this I try to put a slight taper on the edge of the part at least twice the thickness of the plastic you're pulling. Designing a base that is unnecessarily tall can overstretch your plastic, and possibly even pop it.

Like with a lot of things in life, the most simple answer is usually the best. I'd just find the edge of the model and offset that an inch or so, and drop that straight down to create the base.

As for threadjacking, feel free man. If we want to make this thread an aggregate for all things dragonpriests, that sounds good to me.

That's cuttin deep Poopa. haha

45. PoopaPapaPalps

@Yodajammies

Gotta get you motivated some how.:)

46. Onyx Alchemist

Onyx Alchemist New Member

This is on my Skyrim character now, love all of your versions and this is definatley on my future build list

47. PoopaPapaPalps

So close...
    So very...

...close.
    [​IMG]

48. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This thread gets better each time it's resurrected!

49. PoopaPapaPalps

Great progress made. In fact, I'll spare you the stories of woe and failure and get to the stage I'm at.

This is the first pull from my less-than-stellar mold (I'm still rather new to all this mold-making business) after a brief appointment with Dr. Emel.

[​IMG]

It's nice to finally see it one piece and one whole color. After the pull, as I'm sure you could tell, there was some fixin' needin' to be done but I'm pretty happy with how this came out.

Further refining needs doin' and then on to paint!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  50. poopymcbutthole

poopymcbutthole Sr Member

gorgeous progress on this mask! when i make my second one i will be popping in on here for reference , you have done a fantastic job , cant wait to see it all painted