EL wire and tape battery box Hig pitch sound?.

familyman

Sr Member
My son has a pair of EL wire glasses and the bettery box makes a high pitch noise when ever it is on, I just recieved some EL tape in the mail and it too came with its own battery box and when that is on it also makes a high pitch noise. I can mask it by covering up the battery box but is there anything else I can do?. Is it a loose wire or something?. When I have the EL tape flicker the sound flickers in time with the light. Any help please. It is not a big deal, mainly curious as to why this happens.
Thanks.
J

That's normal. Understandably annoying, but normal. As I understand it, that sound is just a byproduct of the current running through the device. Every EL setup I've owned/experienced had this high pitch sound. Most of it emanates from the inverter/battery box, so if you could just hide that in a pocket or something, it should go relatively unnoticed.

i second that.. it is normal as i use te stuff too, however on my props i find it adds FX to the pice when it makes a noise lol

11.jpg

i most recently built two sets of custom design prop armor and discovered the sound your talking about, after researching the basics of EL wire i found out that the high pitched hum comes from the current passed through the copper wire of the el wire. i counteracted this noise by installing some computer case fans that not only served to provide cooling for the armor, but noise dampening and an awesome effect.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back