EL Strip help !!!

vetteboy1982

Hey guys. I know alot of you Ironman builders and the Nike/MAG builders are using this EL strip for lighting. This is very interesting to me, and I was hoping people would tell about thier expirience with it. Where to get it, how is it to work with, voltage, colors, weatherproof, ect.

Ive used it on many projects, really versitile stuff, nothing on costumes though. Heres a link to the company i use in Australia, at least its a starting point for you to do a little gumshoe work. Good luck with your projects and post lots of pictures, love to see the stuff in action.

Actually youve just given me an idea, some light blue el around the outline of my Deckard trenchcoat, hmmmm. Could be the new neon umbrellas in the next movie.

elec2go offers Flexible electroluminescent wire,el wire,lytec el fiber,el back light,el Tshirts,el flat panels,Burning Man Festival supplies

I have been using it on my Mag shoes. It is VERY easy to use. You can cut into any shape you want and all you need is a 9v battery and an inverter. I will post up some links tomorrow. What are you using it for?

I have been using it on my Mag shoes. It is VERY easy to use. You can cut into any shape you want and all you need is a 9v battery and an inverter. I will post up some links tomorrow. What are you using it for?
I want to try lighting the numbers on the side of the island superstructure on my RC aircraft carrier( see pics and video in gen modeling thread) and I was also toying with some ideas for my car. I wanted to do the crossflag emblems on my corvette if it would look right, and was able to withstand the elements. I apreciate the help,and any advice is welcome.

Ive used it on many projects, really versitile stuff, nothing on costumes though. Heres a link to the company i use in Australia, at least its a starting point for you to do a little gumshoe work. Good luck with your projects and post lots of pictures, love to see the stuff in action.

Actually youve just given me an idea, some light blue el around the outline of my Deckard trenchcoat, hmmmm. Could be the new neon umbrellas in the next movie.

elec2go offers Flexible electroluminescent wire,el wire,lytec el fiber,el back light,el Tshirts,el flat panels,Burning Man Festival supplies
Thanks thats a great site. the wire is interesting. would look awesome in the car !

The problem I forsee with using it near water is that the EL sheet is an open circuit. Meaning there is electrity flowing through it while lit and the edges of the EL sheet are "hot" (if you touch the edges it will shock you).

I suppose you could try to laminate the EL sheet once you have it cut to the correct shape but still the terminals where you hook up the battery to it will be vulnerable.

One additional thing with EL-wire is the high pitched noise the inverter can produce. Depends on how sensitive you are towards that, but it drives me up the wall.

Good tips guys. Thanks Jedi.. I wonder if it could be encased in clear resin to "waterproof " it? I guess I will have to just get some and expirement with it. I just wanted some advice before I wasted any money on it. Confusious...are you using that in a helmet? Is that why the noise is bothering you ?

Hi, you can encased it in clear resin to make it waterproof but be carefull, a friend of mine did it for his R/C boat and it lost a lot of luminosity... May be the type of resin he used is the key but you should make a test before...

As Jedifyfe said, it's very easy to use and you can cut it in any form you want, very simple to connect to the inverter and the battery. I currently use EL Tapes for my VashDStampede's Iron Man Reveal Face Plate and it's really easy.
I bought mine via Ebay but be carefull if you choose to do it cause several quality are proposed. I can PM you the name of the seller if you want...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back