eFX vader and muppets

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by chalback, Dec 2, 2011.

1. chalback

chalback Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew what's going on with eFX vader helmet and anything from there muppet line... It's been a long time since iv seen a newsletter from these guys an also the website is so out of date, can anyone shed some light over here?

2. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

How about emailing them? Or PM'ing Gino? Or posting on the Efx Vader thread?

3. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No definitive ship date on the vader helmet, but based on the last samples we received from China we are getting very close to to an approved sample. Once we get a sample that we are completely satisfied with, it will be full steam ahead.

As far as the muppet line goes, from what I understand there were issues sourcing a factory that could produce these at the quality/cost necessary to make everything work.

4. Runner

Runner Well-Known Member

Since we're asking any word on the TIE fighter?

5. chalback

chalback Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the update Gino ;)

6. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is precisley the reason I will never buy anything from efx.

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  7. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Has any of these types of companies ever had a definitive ship date?

8. Funky

Let me clarify. It's one thing to have a soft shipping date when I haven't paid for anything (in which case I don't really care if it EVER ships).
    It has been my impression that when you place an order with EFX you pay now and you'll get it...when you get it.
    Am I wrong?

9. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't know about the Vader helmet but I only put down a deposit on my BSG Helmet.

In short I trust Efx.

As far as the Muppets go I think that has sadly been put to rest. :(

10. Apollo

Seriously Bro, we get it. :rolleyes

Every Efx thread has you posting this.

We know you wil never buy anything from them so please go wave your cane at someone else! :lol

11. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know people have been waiting an extreme amount of time for the BSG helmet and the Vader (which from what I uderstand, payments were being taken at C5) and I also understand that eFX may have needed those payments to fund the entire project but it is really a long time to make customers wait for a product.

12. Apollo

The BSG Helmet was in the works for I think 3 years, they took a deposit for it this October with shipping in December, which imo will ship by March.

Not really a long time

In my talks with Brian he really wanted to get the helmet right and finally got the person who made them for the Series involved.

It's been said that Brian is really passionate about these things and he is, he sounded like another fan-boy on the phone when I talked with him and that's a good thing! :thumbsup

Of course sometimes these things take time, and with the economy the way it is, and the business climate in China, I know it is extremely difficult to do these runs

13. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Of course these things take time and I understand that. It's a tough business because the product has to be SO specific and SO accurate that it can be hard getting a manufacturer to care enough to make each one as good as an individual artist would.
    I have a friend getting the Legend Vader, so I look forward to seeing it in person.

14. Funky

Ooooohhhhhh, I see. You'd rather I didn't post up my dissatisfaction with a company who takes money and gives no firm delivery dates. Oh because that's how every company should do business, right?
    I just want to make sure people know what they're getting into before they put down their hard earned money. If you're comfortable doing that, more power to you. Me, I can post my opinion wherever I wish, thank you very much.
    Psst...I'm going to continue to do so as well. :rolleyes

15. Apollo

Now, now I'm just trying to save you some face here.

Seriously Dude you know you have been schooled on some of the other threads, and I am not going to post them for you, but you have and you have backed down.

You know full well Efx has never taken money in full on all their offerings and never given a due date.

People get it Bro with a little research they can find out whats up without you sounding like a spurned ex on every Efx thread that pops up but hey if thats your bag more power to ya!

16. Funky

That's laughable at best. Show me where I have been "schooled". I DARE you.
    The only thread That even comes close was the one where I was mistaken (and clearly admittedly so...I stand by my mistakes) was the one where I failed to see all of the details of the BSG helmet on the efx site because I failed to click the proper tab. I was wrong I admitted it and we all had a good laugh. Cool. But that has nothing to do with my standing problem with a company who takes money and gives no delivery date.

I also enjoy your very carefully crafted sentance here:
    "You know full well Efx has never taken money in full on all their offerings and never given a due date."

:lol

17. Apollo

How about telling me when they have taken money and have given no delivery date.

Give me one example of them taking money and not giving out a delivery date.

One.

:lol You know you are their biggest "secret" customer any way who has probably ordered one of everything and just gets * when they miss their delivery date! :lol

18. Funky

:lol Okay, let's get something straight, pal. If that were true I would never admit it! :lol
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that their stuff sucks or they have lousy customer service. I'm just saying if someone wants money in advance for a product and they promise it will be here on Friday, it better be here on Friday. I'm also not some heartless ogre. If item is promised by Friday and there is a delay just let me know BEFORE Friday and give me another expected delivery date (which had better be REAL close to Friday). Now if THAT date is missed, I'm raising Kane.
    Apollo, you know I have no beef with you personally. You are just a more forgiving soul than I. :)

19. Apollo

No body screams 'WHERES MY PROP!" louder than me when a dates been missed trust me!

You just confirmed what I already knew, that you would not miss out on all of their cool stuff! :D

20. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

eFX isn't that big a company and the licensing fees going to LFL are not trivial. It wouldn't be a viable business plan if they forked out all the production costs ahead of time hoping that those who agreed to buy a helmet would actually pay for it. Having people put down deposits ensures that the production is worthwhile and that they will actually sell.

21. cboath

cboath Master Member

Personally, I don't think it's the taking money and not giving a date at all. It's that, from what i've seen anyhow, is that they give a date range. Taking the vader for an example. Down payment in March with shipping supposedly Q4. Ok, if you want to go corporate and say Q4 is Nov-Jan, we're halfway in that shipping timeframe. Current news, which I believe is unofficial is that the last proof that got back was good and they're hoping the next one is 'it'. Upshot is they aren't making the target timeframe.

And therein I think lies the issue for a lot of people. If you ask for money and say between these dates, you know, you expect it between those dates. Of course I and pretty much everyone else understand you bust your butt to make it as perfect as possible and having to deal with the shop and all can take time. Absolutely, no questions or problems with that. I think a lot of that PR and CS issues would be resolved if, in those situations, that there was some kind of running dialog between the company and it's customers to keep them apprised of what's going on. The 'official word' I believe is the same thing on the order page from March, shipping Q4 2011.

People had issues and Gino commented on the current situation and that was all a good number of people needed to hear. A lot/most don't mind waiting if they're waiting to get it right, but they would like to be 'in the loop' to some degree. It's not hard to create a mailing list of customers for a project and send a mass email. One email a month giving a status/progress report would make loads of people much happier.

I've heard this same complaint going back to MR. And it doesn't help matters either when you get something like the ANH X-wing helmet going up for order last week and shipping in 2 weeks while other people have been waiting months for their order. Different products, different details/construction/etc, I totally get it. Not everyone else does, though. People want to know what they've ordered and partially paid for is in the pipeline and that progress is being made. They don't want to pay and wait a year with no information and suddenly get an email saying payments due next week.

22. Funky

Fine. Then give me a shipping date. Don't give me a "quarter" then miss THAT!

23. Funky

EXACTLY!!! The last line my key argument.

24. jediscout

jediscout Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just out of curiosity, why isn't the website, which I assume is sort of the 'face' of the company--the easiest thing to find online, etc.--why isn't that updated?

I am very happy with my eFX items, and I've been involved with other projects that had extended creation/wait times--so I don't mind waiting. Let me repeat: I don't mind waiting.

I find it unsettling that the website seems abandoned/not updated. Is there an alternate area where eFX supporters/buyers go to get their information? Seems like the easiest way to allay fears, confusion, questions--is to work on that site & use it as a tool to inform the public, as opposed to a billboard that gets put up once to advertise something--and that's it.

I didn't expect that the wait time would be quite so long on these projects, but I can hang in there. I would simply find it reassuring to get updates without having to go asking every few months. Reminds me too much of my experiences with EDC, or Icons. And because I was around for those, it makes me nervous when delivery dates get routinely pushed back--and information is difficult to get.

BUT--if there's an alternate site or blog I should know about, then please refer me there & I apologize. I'm not trying to bad-mouth a company that I do believe in. Just find it frustrating that the communication's so poor.

25. phez

phez Sr Member

I got one of the Legend Vader helmets and I have to be honest, I hope it does not start shipping this close to Christmas. A month of financial recovery would be good :lol.

26. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Ok with that point we are on the same page. I have two helmets on order and trust me that I would prefer to know when I'll need to fork out the remainder of the $$$. From that standpoint yes it would be fair of eFX to provide a more solid time frame and to be conservative if they've already had some experience with their manufacturer. So they could have said 1st Q of 2012 and then stick to it, even if they might have it ready last quarter of 2011, for example. That would be my advice to them. But clearly they would want to have the balance of what is due and get the product out asap. If they cannot provide a definite time frame, then what would be fair is for them to provide a reasonable amount of time before the balance is due, like a month or two.

27. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Sr Member

Well, if their X-Wing helmets are any indication I don't know if we will be getting any notifications for upcoming product releases.

I have got two X-Wing helmets coming soon and I would imagine they will be shipped very close together.

28. GINO

I can't imagine the amount of outrage from customers if efx were to say, hey stuff is ready to ship, but we're going to wait an additional month or two for people to be prepared.

Efx is doing everything within their control to get items out as quickly as possible and I believe that is what the greatest majority of their customers would want.
    Also, it doesn't make sense to announce a ship date until you are 99% for sure it isn't going to change. As soon as efx can say for certain, it is announced asap.

My own advice would be for customers to put the funds away and forget about it as if it's already spent. That way when their item is ready, the payment aspect is already taken care of well in advance.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  29. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

True. Plus with eFX's presence here at least we can always ask for updates on the time frame.

30. cboath

cboath Master Member

That's basically what I said.

The info that came out wasn't from a special site for EFX, someone asked about it here and Gino gave an update based on what he knew.

I went to their site the other day, too, while I was posting to make sure they hadn't put an update in there to make my post kinda pointless, and nope. I then started poking around and looked at the development section where i think the most recent date on anything there was 2009.

I was just thinking a mass email would be the easiest, least time consuming method to go about it. You've got a database of those who ordered along with their email addresses - kick out a list (takes maybe 5 minutes to max to pull up the db, do a query, and kick out the list) then write an email to the list - No one's asking for a novella or anything. Just a quick update and maybe a picture if you've got one you can release.

Posting it the website would be good too, but that usually takes multiple people and can get lost in the shuffle. But still, no one is asking for a minute by minute rundown, just some basic feedback. If for three months in a row the message is 'still working with the shop to get the masters right', fine, so be it. At least the people who bought it know it's being worked on.

I'm fine waiting. I'd just be happier waiting if I was 'in the loop' to some degree. Anyone honestly think a monthly update is too much to ask?

31. GromitFan

GromitFan New Member

I can understand a monthly update being too much, but they ought to provide some kind of update when the original estimated delivery date has come and gone.

I should not have to visist forums to find out what is happening with my order; I should have an email from eFX, an update on their site, or both.

I already posted this at Rebel Scum, but I thought I would post it here, too:
    None of us want to do anything to encourage the product being rushed in order to make some pre-established delivery estimate.

Having said that, I think a reasonable standard for any company is that when an expected ship date comes and goes [Q4 2011], there ought to be an easy to find status update for those that have purchased akin to the following:

Hello Vader fans,
    eFX continues to work with our manufactures to make sure the product you pre-ordered meets our highest standards.

That is taking some time. We had originally anticipated and 4th quarter 2011 shipping date, but now we are estimating that these might be ready in the second quarter of 2012, but that too is just an estimate based on the current production status.

Once we have a better idea of when the Legend and Limited Darth Vader EP IV helmets will ship,
    or we reach the middle of the second quarter of 2012, we will update you again.

Regardless of when the helmets are ready, we know it will be worth the wait and we thank you for understanding our desire to provide you the best EPIV Vader helmet possible.

-Your eFX team

Is that so hard to do? I don't think so.

That would give folks some sort of answer, make them fell "in the loop," which should occur when there has been no communication since the original order date and no updates since the original delivery date has come and gone. Passing an originally expected ship date is a customer service milestone that needs to be acknowledged even if it is not a milestone in terms of the product's production status.

Great customer service is both about delivering a quality product and communicating well with clients.

32. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  33. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Suck it up. You want something this rare, then you just have to roll the dice. This isn't some retail store we're talking about.

34. Apollo

Sounds easy right?

It is'nt.

Dealing with China was bad enough when the economy was good, in these, times forget it.

So, so, SO many problems come up and unless you are there on a day to day basis the factory will make a decision for you and it's almost always the wrong one.

35. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

36. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

37. ArtisanProps

ArtisanProps Sr Member

This is one of those situations where the company isn't just trying to
    find someone to make a product. In fact they're trying to produce a
    work of art on a large scale. I personally would wait considering the
    fact that this is coming off of an actual mold.

Just imagine yourself in EFX's positioin. There are gonna be a lot of people
    that will give this helmet the highest scrutiny which, (if they don't produce
    exactly what was advertised) could result in a major loss of money if all of
    a sudden you start getting returns due to poor workmanship.

EFX is probably just as frustrated as the people waiting for these. Well,
    maybe not :lol, but I imagine theyr'e frustrated a little.

38. Apollo

Actually the Company DOES have a Factory since it produced the Proto.

If more people understood the Prop replica business and I mean truely understood it they would be thankful that some insane people are doing it and I mean that in a good way.

If you want the Company to put all the money out front before they take orders that just ain't gonna happen my man and I will tell you why.

Most companys simply will not take the risk and I don't blame them.

I was around when a un-named Compay wanted me to "Invest" in a run.

10 to 20 thou and then I will get my money back MAYBE, in about 2 years with maybe 1 % back.

:lol No thanks! :lol

As far as having someone on site all that adds to the cost and I can tell you it would increase your price substantially.

Bottom line is this is a business where you do not make a whole lot of money but you do have access to some cool Props and bragging rights.

As always as one member puts it here if you can do better by all means knock your self out!

39. cboath

cboath Master Member

NO ONE is begrudging them the time to make sure it's done right. No one. The issue is that you shouldn't take money in March and cite a delivery time of Oct-Nov and then have no single solitary official word from the company for 9 months. Multiple examples of what'd be acceptable have been cited in this forum. Short and sweet is all that's needed.

"Dear Customer,

We know you're anxiously awaiting <insert item here>. Due to the level of accuracy we know you're looking, we won't be making the advertised shipping date. We understand the frustration but want to let you know just where things are.

Thank you for your patience,
    Efx"

Again, it's not the time being taken, it's the lack of comment from the company. A little blurb every so often isn't but a trivial thing to ask. That's all anyone is asking for.

40. ArtisanProps

ArtisanProps Sr Member

Lack of communication I totally understand and would probably feel the same
    way. I thought what I read was that Chalback had not seen a news letter in
    a while, not that they weren't communicating at all.

41. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

42. Apollo

:lol C'mon Bro, as far as "picking up a phone directory" to find a factory is laughable at best. :lol

I for one would never take a deposit up front for something that only has had a proto but thats just me and that is a very valid and good point you make.

Are you talking about the Vader helmet?

One replica company had a perfect Proto and when the production was started they changed one aspect of the prop that threw it off totally they did'nt tell the company nothing and by the time the units were shipping it was to late.

That's just how the Chinese operate sometimes :unsure

As far as the Chinese making billions of goods, apples and oranges bro, You know that Prop replicas are small runs that have to be made to exact tolarances.

43. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

Well I've been checking eFX's website every 2 or 3 days, hoping that at least a Pre-Order date for the Stormtrooper Hero 'Legend' helmet would be announced. The helmet was being announced (and still is) as due in the Fall, ie. Q3, but they haven't started taking Pre-Orders and yet, here we are in the very last days of Q4... :unsure

I have resigned myself to losing-out when the Pre-Sale is announced anyways, considering that the Vader 'Legend' sold out in a matter of hours! Not days or even weeks.... but hours!
    ....then factror-in the Global Time Difference between the US, and myself in the UK, of between 5 and 8 hours...
    .... so unless I stay home everyday, with my PC on the eFX homepage, continually pressing the 'refresh' button every 10 minutes.... :wacko

@ GINO - do you have any ETA(s) for the Stormtrooper Hero 'Legend' helmet, that you can share with me/us? Please?! :confused

If you had put a deposit on the Stormtrooper Hero 'Legend' helmet, I'd be waving a bundle of $$$'s at you right now, offering to buy your spot in the list from you! :love
    .....In fact, I daresay you would be able to re-sell your place on the Vader 'Legend' helmet list, considering how much eFX promises with this one! :lol

Cheers,
    John
    john@manicminer.plus.com

44. GINO

There will be adequate time between the announcement of the pre-order date and the actual pre-order for most people to be informed. These announcements are almost always communicated via a combination of the eFX email list (which I highly recommend if you aren't already on it), announcements on the forums, and also on the website itself. No need to obsessively refresh. :)
    PS, the Legend Vader sold out in approx 4 minutes, not hours. :thumbsup :eek

Both Vader editions are getting very very close to being final approved. :cheers
    No new news on Legend Hero Stormtrooper pre-order date yet.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  45. Funky

That is the WORST defense for an argument I have ever heard! I suppose if I say "Steven Spielberg's last movie SUCKED!" You're valid argument is "make one better yourself"???

46. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

47. cboath

cboath Master Member

Thanks for the update. It is very appreciated!

48. Apollo

Yes and you have lots of props to film it with! :D

49. Apollo

Oh I hear you and agree with you on most points.

The specs and tolarances are very different for a run of say 1 Million plastic hair Combs, then say the vader legend helmet.

In a perfect world the Company should put up ALL money up front, have the run down and shipped, verify that the products are good to go, and THEN start taking money for the item which is already here ready to ship.

:lol We all know we don't live in a perfect world though! :lol

50. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member