EFX Star Deystroyer for $16,000

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Aldo The Apache, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Aldo The Apache

Aldo The Apache Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I never thought I would see a prop go for that much from a licensed company. I understand a lot of work has been put into this, but seriously, I can get a car with that much money. Yes it is a massive model, but wow. I’ve had good, and bad moments with EFX. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I just can’t stand them. Their customer service is bad. Also attribute the fact that this might just be another scam. Look at the Scout trooper helmets.

But whatever,

What are your thoughts on this embarrassing price.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There is one born every minute!

3. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

Does it come with a ten-year/100,000 mile warranty?

4. Aldo The Apache

Aldo The Apache Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Should for that price.

5. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My thought exactly when I saw a few people on Rebelscum drooling and ready to throw their money at EFX for this.

Aldo The Apache likes this.
  6. BlandoCalrssian

BlandoCalrssian New Member

To be fair, even the guys at Rebel scum are ripping this apart

7. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. Do a google search for efx star destroyer. The efx website comes up in the search results and to my surprise the preview lists the SD with a price of 8.000 USD and "in stock". Hm.

8. jkno

jkno Master Member

I already said it in the other thread: do you want EFX to hold onto your money for decades, only to release from time to time announcements telling about various delays? Then throw your money on an EFX Star Destroyer!!

9. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

10. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

8k is down payment. Then it explains options for you to pay off. .

11. jkno

jkno Master Member

For $16000 this Star Destroyer should fly by itself, release TIE Fighters and drop AT-AT's, have a barge full of Twi-lek dancers, and blue milk dispensers ...

12. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

We must look..what is realistic.
    First this is a big prop and its handmade.Not in China.So a higher price is ok.
    But will they spent really so much time and love in it like build from a privat modelmaker.I say no.
    So it is only a big handmade replica with a medium paintjob and lights inside at the end.So is it worth so much money?Never.
    I think 6000$ is the highest price I would pay for this.

And the other question...who is so crazy sending EFX 8000$?

"$8,000 deposit at pre-order. $4,000 when your model is approximately 30 days from shipping. $4,000 when your model is ready to ship.":D

Is silicon,resin,some aluminium and lamps so expensive that you need 8000$!!! Deposit to start with one of these ships?:rolleyes:

13. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

If it was the 8 footer, came with a scaled Falcon, Tantive IV, and Imperial Shuttle, maybe... But this? And with their established track record? Nope.

14. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

I am still waiting on that kit and the Falcon 5' kit.

I got a lot of info from one of our members who is building the 5 footer and after him sharing lots of info about time and cost I simply scratched that build of my list. Short of a kit I won't have a 5' Falcon in my collection or an 8' Star Destroyer.

I think there is a killing to be made if someone actually made a kit for either of those but it has not happened so far.

Everytime I think EFX can't sink lower they do.

Where is that Boba Fett helmet. Gino cast it when they announced it and it's the simplest main character helmet in Star Wars. Where is the Hero Stormy suit, again cast by Gino, and the Hero Stormy helmet? What happened to those???????????????????????????

15. oblagon

Agree with you that it'd be nice to have more SS available. Something along the lines of DeAgo would be great where the modeler has to put it together and paint would lower costs.

Concerning the Stormy suit; at this point you're better off going with RS.

16. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

Yeah I hoped Deagostini would offer a 5ft Falcon or 8ft S.D. but realistically I think those will only be for the ones insane (in a good way) to take it on. I was utterly shocked at what has gone into the few in progress 5' Falcons there are.

17. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Everyone belly-aches over the pricing of a really high quality piece. You don't like the price? Clearly you are not their customer. If you want to build it so badly, the resources are here on the RPF to build one from scratch, but I am sure the guys who have done it will tell you that they spent a ton of sweat equity in making it a reality that may even far exceed the eFX asking price.

AJK001 and Aldo The Apache like this.
  18. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

I think you can find a really talented "spaceshipguy" who can build you 2 of them for 16000$.;)

19. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

I think they make this extreme expensive offer because they need lots of money and that very fast.How much helmets and other stuff you must sell for 8000$?
    Its not only Star Wars...same Game with the Marvel props.The Ironmanhelmet is a preorder for years.

20. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

Randy Cooper new 42" version. $3,500 fully built:

https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1140155

Solos blaster likes this.
  21. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

22. edge10

edge10 Sr Member

A fool and his money are soon...

23. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am in no way speaking up for GINO or Efx, as it isn’t my place to, nor do I think he would even want that, but that statement about the Boba Fett helmet is completely inaccurate.

The Boba Fett helmet is one of the most heavily scrutinized of all SW helmets with probably the most distinct and difficult paint job to get even close to right.

I realize this point is neither here nor there regarding the discussion in this thread which is actually about price and Time to Delivery but I just thought it was a very inaccurate statement regarding Boba Fett’s helmet. A good correct accurate helmet anyway.

24. Jamesfett

Jamesfett Active Member

No question about that. I was not referring to the paint job and I should have clarified that. I was talking about the casting of the helmet itself. No extra chinstrap, opening, reasonable size (unlike the Royal Guard helmet which is huge). I was just saying the helmet itself is easy to make, especially since Gino has that mold he made.

I wonder where that is?

mugatu and Aldo The Apache like this.
  25. cboath

cboath Master Member

I'd wager you'd see much less bellyaching if they actually, you know, delivered product. People are still waiting on Scout helmets which they took orders for what? 5-6 years ago?

I can't imagine who in the world would hand these people 8k with no guarantee at all of when, or if, you'll get the product. I mean, for crying out loud, i just turned down an Anovos Luke Xwing helmet because i wasn't going to give them a whole 350 bucks if it was going to have to wait upwards of three years for the * thing. But 8k???!?!?!?!?

You literally have to have money to burn or be especially stupid to hand them that kind of money with their track record.

On the actual price...i'm sorry, but as someone else pointed out, you can buy an acutal new car for 16k or less - granted not that many, but still. The materials of the car and the level of ability needed to build it are greater than that of this model. That said, I know I sure as hell couldn't do it. So if i really really wanted one of these and had that level of money to spend, it's a viable option. Though, i'd go here first and see if anyone was willing to build it for me at a better price. Thing is, if i hired someone here to do to it, i'd be reasonably sure i'd actually get it in a reasonably timely fashion - i.e. part of agreeing on a deal is that they'd get it to me by a certain date. That it doesn't apply to EFx as we've well seen. This is the first actual new thing they've offered since the * scout helmets which i don't think have completed shipping yet, and even if they did it took 5-6 @$#%& years.

I just don't see any sane or rational person looking at this offerring from this company and thinking 'i'm in'.

26. Walter

Walter Sr Member

A lot to unpack with some of the responses to my comments.

I think there are two separate issues: price and business practice.

On price, for the size, quality, craftsmanship and accuracy of the piece they are representing, for a certain customer it is reasonable. They are creating pieces that are not (in this case) priced for the everyday collector, they are definitely targeting a customer that is more high end and has the disposable income to have someone hand cast and build the star destroyer. I don't think I was being unreasonable to anyone on this forum to say that you might not be their customer on this piece.

I have recently returned to the model side of the hobby and focused on working on studio scale projects. It isn't cheap, BUT the time and effort put into tracking down the rare original kits and building a master or building a representation of the studio scale model is a challenge, it is fun, it is worthwhile and why I got into the hobby in the first place. That level of accuracy and expense is not for everyone and 3d printing is making things more accessible which I am excited about, but if you are trying to replicate a representation of what ILM built, it takes time and money.

On the business practice side I will just say this... I have been here a long time and I have seen every company well intentioned or not since the days of Icons follow the same general model which is no different than our fellow hobbyists here from time to time. To complete a project people often rob Peter to pay Paul. Get deposits upfront to produce a piece for that run (hopefully) or complete a previous run (likely). These companies as ambitious as they are do not run like traditional businesses and also want your compassion when timelines are not being met. When you order from them you are taking a gamble on these companies as much as you are on any commissioned piece.

27. oblagon

In Ginos personal collection along with the rest of the products EFX was supposed to release.

28. oblagon

Any reputable business wouldn't be run like this. I like the RS model better where I buy something and then they ship it with no drama; plus they have actual customer service.
    As a customer I don't care about excuses or how EFX and Anovos pass the buck to blame someone else (ie Disney or factories); they need to just do their job and ship product anything less is just a crappy business practices.

edge10 likes this.
  29. Darth Fetty

Darth Fetty Well-Known Member

The average consumer doesn't know that. They see Disney and it would never occur to them to question the trustworthiness of their products.

I've been patient with the products I've ordered from Anovos because I'm used to delays as a result of being a member of the community. And I've been quite happy with what I've received. But I'm understanding of the shock that others have when these delays of multiple years begin to occur. And for the prices that people are paying on these products, naturally they would expect better customer service than what they've been getting.

In the case of EFX, customer service is practically non-existent. At least the reputable artists here who are building similar models at the same or even better level of quality at a fraction of that cost will respond to you when you have a question.

30. Apollo

Please, as soon as they became a Licensee they are looked upon as a reputable business by the Licensor, any other excuse or rational is ludicrous and why there is such well deserved animosity towards them

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  31. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Walter didn't say that's the way it SHOULD be, or is a good thing. He is simply describing reality.

mugatu and Walter like this.
  32. Apollo

Right, and There in lies the problem......

33. cboath

cboath Master Member

Not sure it qualifies as gambling....6 years for the Scout helmet and nothing in between.

I'd questing the sanity of anyone handing these people 8K knowing their history. They are the ones who seem to be gambling that uninitiated people will pay for these things.

As i said, i'm not going to argue the price too much. Yeah, it's really expensive and you can buy a new car for less, but i can't build this much easier than i could build the car, so i can't argue that too much.

The issue would be they have no credibility with anyone. Period. And they're asking people to fork over 8k with no guarantees on squat. Again, you'd have to be clinically insane.

edge10 and Aldo The Apache like this.
  34. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Nah even when they make and deliver props and models they always seem to find a way to mess it up.

When they made the Red 5 Studio scale X wings they clearly stated at the time of shipping they would give people outside the US different shipping options. Due to delays they apologised to everyone and made shipping free for US customers then decided to send out the X wings without giving any shipping options. They just charged my credit card and sent mine using the highest priced delivery known to mankind and by the time I got it I had effectively paid almost double what a US buyer would have paid. The shipping options they had promised would have been nice just to have had the choice.

Face it they do not care less about their customers. Anyone who buys from them as a pre-order after their track record would be crazy.

35. HeartBlade

HeartBlade Active Member

As cool as this is (I think Master Replicas always wanted to make a star destroyer), eFX can't sell this product.

There are 2 issues that prevent the company from reaching a target audience imo.

1) Price - $16,000
    As mentioned, this is the price of a new car or a good used one. This automatically prices out all but the most dedicated fans who care not only about the product but it's intricate details (aka people on fan sites like here) and its lineage.

2) past performance
    Unfortunately, eFX has not had a good track record with products. The scout showed delayed delivery and problems with its quality and accuracy, the 2 things I think the wealthy users on this site will want.

eFX is thus doesn't seem to have a target audience it can sell to. It's unfortunate since it does seem to be a really cool product.

36. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Isn't there already a thread for general EFX discussion?
    So how about that Star Destroyer....

37. Apollo

About as many as there are about the ESB Parka! ;)

Treadwell and Aldo The Apache like this.