eFX Enterprise D

eFX

Official Licensee
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All!

We are excited to announce that we are starting our first studio scale model! To commemorate the 25th anniversary of TNG, we are working on an incredible model of the Enterprise D. Greg Jein has generously given to us original castings of the 4 foot model that he made in 1990. (he remade the D for the 3rd season since they wanted a model with more detail)

So here is what we would like to know. Would you like to see a model made exactly as the original model, ie, 4 feet long, or a scaled down version to a more manageable 32-36", like the Master Replicas TOS Enterprise?

Thanks!

Bryan

Wasn't the four footer the one with all of the ugly texture added to it?
I'm not a big fan of the E-D anyway but I definitely wouldn't want that excess plating.
As for size, how large would it be at 1:1000 scale??? :D

Hi All!

We are excited to announce that we are starting our first studio scale model! To commemorate the 25th anniversary of TNG, we are working on an incredible model of the Enterprise D. Greg Jein has generously given to us original castings of the 4 foot model that he made in 1990. (he remade the D for the 3rd season since they wanted a model with more detail)

So here is what we would like to know. Would you like to see a model made exactly as the original model, ie, 4 feet long, or a scaled down version to a more manageable 32-36", like the Master Replicas TOS Enterprise?

Thanks!

Bryan

The latter for sure for me.

Just to be a pooper, but, isnt an announcement like this a bit of a downright cheek, when customers who have put coin down for seriously delayed items, are left with little or nothing in the way of updates?
Your call by all means, but i call it rather awkard business practice blowing your trumpet with one hand, and thumbing your nose with the other.

lee

Now that I am a "civilian" I can see things from both sides.

As a collector... YES, it is aggravating when we can't get our toys on time. But, having run several businesses, I can tell you that delays are often NOT the fault of company's management.

And you can't stop ALL future product development because a few older projects are delayed. Cash-flow always have to move forward and some new projects sometimes get done and shipped faster than older ones.

It all hinges on the vendors. If you have a factory promising specific delivery dates and they regularly miss those dates (or they don't follow all of your requested changes, OR completely mess up the samples...which happens a LOT) these delays cause a cascade effect on the project schedule.

And there is NOTHING the prop company can do about it.

OF COURSE, they would want the stuff to ship on time. That moves cash-flow forward in the schedule.

I am just saying that many times, there is nothing that can be done about it. So that doesn't mean that the company must STOP all new product development and advertising. That just wouldn't work.

And EVERY replica company has experienced repeated delays. EVERY ONE.

Amen...

Cool announcement but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one day we'll see an announcement for the eFX refit movie Enterprise!

The little Bandai version is very cool but I'd love to have a larger scale one done to match up with the scale of the MR TOS Enterprise!

Chris

Maybe the first Studio Scale Trek?

The only reason to preserve the original size would be if the product was an actual copy of Jein's work. If the parts are referenced then rebuilt or scaled in 3d then please just make a miniature of the larger E D instead.

My preference would be for the full version. I will not buy a big Enterprise D but I would gladly spend for one with a lineage, especially since it comes from the source in this case.
Any other way and it's not studio scale at all really.

You could also (as a license holder) just build pre-existing styrene kits with slight resin upgrades and over-bright LEDs and charge $5k a pop, too. Apparently Trek fans like that kind of model!

I tease. But seriously, do a four footer.

wouldn't it make more sense to do a studio scale model of the 2 footer, rather than scale the 4 footer down to a non studio scale?

640px-USS_Enterprise-D_two-foot_model_set_up_for_shooting_at_Image_G_by_Gary_Hutzel.jpg

606px-USS_Enterprise_2-foot_model_worked_on_by_Larry_Tan_and_Bill_George.jpg

it's still a pretty big ship

I thought that was just an AMT kit... recently rereleased in all clear styrene by Round 2.

Also I would be happy with a Jein 4ft Enterprise D kit.

Honestly, the smaller scale would help keep the price down, (relatively speaking) but as someone said above, Jein's model featured a heave dose of the texturing and detailing. IMO, I'd prefer the smaller scale but in with the ILM's smoother surface, but I realize a "hybrid" may not be possible under the circumstances

I guess the question is, do you just want a big model of the E-D or do you want a studio scale replica...

if you're scaling down the 4 footer, it's not a replica

if you're doing it 4 feet, it's well outside of most price ranges

if you do the 2 footer, it's both studio scale, and it's a bit more affordable

anyways, you can read about the two footer here:
Galaxy class model - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

Thanks for the link tgreco, I had no idea these models had been so well documented.

According to the article the Viacom Entertainment Store sold 12 copies of the Jein 4 footer back in 1997. So it's been done, albeit without lights... but what was the price?

Is there room in the license for raw copies? Offer it built at a huge premium.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back