eFX Enterprise D

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by eFX, Jan 19, 2012.

1. eFX

eFX Official Licensee

Hi All!

We are excited to announce that we are starting our first studio scale model! To commemorate the 25th anniversary of TNG, we are working on an incredible model of the Enterprise D. Greg Jein has generously given to us original castings of the 4 foot model that he made in 1990. (he remade the D for the 3rd season since they wanted a model with more detail)

So here is what we would like to know. Would you like to see a model made exactly as the original model, ie, 4 feet long, or a scaled down version to a more manageable 32-36", like the Master Replicas TOS Enterprise?

Thanks!

Bryan

2. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

Wasn't the four footer the one with all of the ugly texture added to it?
    I'm not a big fan of the E-D anyway but I definitely wouldn't want that excess plating.
    As for size, how large would it be at 1:1000 scale??? :D

3. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The latter for sure for me.

4. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Just to be a pooper, but, isnt an announcement like this a bit of a downright cheek, when customers who have put coin down for seriously delayed items, are left with little or nothing in the way of updates?
    Your call by all means, but i call it rather awkard business practice blowing your trumpet with one hand, and thumbing your nose with the other.

lee

5. SD Studios

SD Studios Well-Known Member

Now that I am a "civilian" I can see things from both sides.

As a collector... YES, it is aggravating when we can't get our toys on time. But, having run several businesses, I can tell you that delays are often NOT the fault of company's management.

And you can't stop ALL future product development because a few older projects are delayed. Cash-flow always have to move forward and some new projects sometimes get done and shipped faster than older ones.

It all hinges on the vendors. If you have a factory promising specific delivery dates and they regularly miss those dates (or they don't follow all of your requested changes, OR completely mess up the samples...which happens a LOT) these delays cause a cascade effect on the project schedule.

And there is NOTHING the prop company can do about it.

OF COURSE, they would want the stuff to ship on time. That moves cash-flow forward in the schedule.

I am just saying that many times, there is nothing that can be done about it. So that doesn't mean that the company must STOP all new product development and advertising. That just wouldn't work.

And EVERY replica company has experienced repeated delays. EVERY ONE.

Amen...

6. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

The TIE Fighter isnt studio scale ?

7. cking

cking Sr Member

Cool announcement but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one day we'll see an announcement for the eFX refit movie Enterprise!

The little Bandai version is very cool but I'd love to have a larger scale one done to match up with the scale of the MR TOS Enterprise!

Chris

8. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

Hmmm, the eFX Studio Scale X-Wing was probably more like (studio-scale x 1.05), so perhaps that doesn't count either?

9. jtwaclawski

jtwaclawski New Member

I personally have no interest in an Enterprise D. It's my least favotite of all of them.

10. TheRealMcFly

TheRealMcFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe the first Studio Scale Trek?

The only reason to preserve the original size would be if the product was an actual copy of Jein's work. If the parts are referenced then rebuilt or scaled in 3d then please just make a miniature of the larger E D instead.

My preference would be for the full version. I will not buy a big Enterprise D but I would gladly spend for one with a lineage, especially since it comes from the source in this case.
    Any other way and it's not studio scale at all really.

11. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You could also (as a license holder) just build pre-existing styrene kits with slight resin upgrades and over-bright LEDs and charge $5k a pop, too. Apparently Trek fans like that kind of model!

I tease. But seriously, do a four footer.

12. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

wouldn't it make more sense to do a studio scale model of the 2 footer, rather than scale the 4 footer down to a non studio scale?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's still a pretty big ship

13. TheRealMcFly

I thought that was just an AMT kit... recently rereleased in all clear styrene by Round 2.

Also I would be happy with a Jein 4ft Enterprise D kit.

14. Chief Bast

Chief Bast Well-Known Member

Honestly, the smaller scale would help keep the price down, (relatively speaking) but as someone said above, Jein's model featured a heave dose of the texturing and detailing. IMO, I'd prefer the smaller scale but in with the ILM's smoother surface, but I realize a "hybrid" may not be possible under the circumstances

15. ave4uevoli

ave4uevoli Sr Member

Keep the original size - with all the details untouched.

16. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

I guess the question is, do you just want a big model of the E-D or do you want a studio scale replica...

if you're scaling down the 4 footer, it's not a replica

if you're doing it 4 feet, it's well outside of most price ranges

if you do the 2 footer, it's both studio scale, and it's a bit more affordable

anyways, you can read about the two footer here:
    Galaxy class model - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

17. CessnaDriver

Smaller means more affordable as well, I would not want to see prices higher then the MR TOS E was.

18. TheRealMcFly

Thanks for the link tgreco, I had no idea these models had been so well documented.

According to the article the Viacom Entertainment Store sold 12 copies of the Jein 4 footer back in 1997. So it's been done, albeit without lights... but what was the price?

Is there room in the license for raw copies? Offer it built at a huge premium.

19. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Boy, Paul Rudd is rocking that moustache, huh?

20. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

You should make it to scale with the MR Enterprise.

What would that even be?

21. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

its look has to be that of "generations" and not the series.

22. d_jedi1

d_jedi1 Sr Member

IIRC, 6' the same as the main filming model.
    As much as I dislike the E-D, it WOULD be nice to see both ships (well built) side by side and in the same (large) scale.

23. ringa

ringa Well-Known Member

What ever size it will be done at, it is sure to be out of most people's price range, especially in this economy.

I think the only way to keep the costs down (for both manufacturer and consumer) is to do what some have suggested here; offer it as both built and as kits. There should be different versions of the kit, like with or without lighting, to keep the costs down even more.

Roddenberry.com has been successfully selling Trek prop replicas in this way for years. By offering kits they reach MORE of their target customers, as most people who want these products are builders anyway.

In a tough economy, choices like this would be the smart thing to do to gain more customers. These are at least three ways of selling the model that would ensure more sales and give more customers a chance to own one who would otherwise miss out.

24. DrkMatter

DrkMatter Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I'm in agreement with a few of the others here. Never been a fan of the D.
    But with that said, I would imagine you'd have much better success with the 2 footer. Two reasons, how many people who could afford the 4 footer would also have the space to display it? And of course, in this struggling economy, the cost.
    Far more could afford a 2 footer.

25. ShowCraft

ShowCraft Well-Known Member

I want a 4 foot D, but with the better proportions and subtler plating of the 6 footer.
    To keep costs down, I'll only be needing a clear hull casting. I'll make my own amature thank you :)

26. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Not a lot of love for the D, huh? Man, I think it's a swell ship :thumbsup

27. pickard

pickard New Member

I certainly won't have the money for this, but I would also not have the space for a 4-footer. 2 feet would be much more doable.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the deeper plating of the 4 footer. Always have, since its first appearance.

28. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Personally I think 4 foot is too big, mind you if they could produce it within a reasonable budget then it would be great, I am glad eFX are going to be producing a scale Trek ship, I feel the Trek ships, as a high quality replica line, have been greatly overlooked thus far and I sincerely hope that this works out and can pave the way for more like it, Excelsior for example!!!

29. DrkMatter

DrkMatter Well-Known Member

The D, because of it's proportions is ugly, IMHO. I remember reading years ago, they designed it to look like a hotel is space. On that level, they succeeded. But it's a * ugly hotel at that! :)
    Now if eFX was doing a 2 footer of the Big E, refit, or even the E, I'd be all over that!
    Those are worthy of the name, Enterprise!

30. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I would defeinitely be looking to pick one of these up but at 4 foot I could not find a place in my home to properly display it. I have several large models including the MR enterprise, falcon and AT-AT. Those are about as big as I can go... I just don't have a mansion.

So with that in mind I think the 2 footer both studio scale and smaller is a good choice... I also beleive that one done n 1/1000 - somewhere around 28 inches - is a very good choice. I'd line up for either of those options but I'd be foreced to pass on the 4 footer... not for lack of desiring it, but lack of space to display it.

Jedi Dade

31. TheRealMcFly

I think the Enterprise D might be my favorite. TNG got me into Trek but I could see not liking it's radical design.

We don't know for sure but I'll bet this release will be very much based on the Jein pattern. Maybe his offer of providing original duplicates is the primary selling point. Even if he was solicited, his willingness to provide the original 4ft is met with a fan preference for other incarnations of the D.

4ft or nothing.

Could the many delays that I've seen frustrate many be somewhat deferred if unfinished products were offered in tandem with something factory finished. Yes we understand the limitations of the scope of a license.

How many would get sent back due to minor imperfections? What a hassle for both parties. If there's no room for a kit, how about a prelit clear one as an artistic interpretation?

32. CessnaDriver

If the price could not go to the moon on a 4ft and there was some provision such that you could hang it from the ceiling, panels that opened to expose some hard attach points, then that opens up some options for folks who are hard pressed for space.
    I hang a lot of big 1/18 aircraft from the ceiling.

33. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

in 1997 The Viacom store sold casts of the 4 footer with no lights, and they sold for between $5,000 and $10,000. They only made 12.

Several wound up at Planet Hollywoods.

34. Ikariya

Ikariya Well-Known Member

I'm voting for studio scale 4 ft. It'll prolly be too expensive for most hobbyists.
    If there was like a 4ft studio scale diy model kit for 100-200$, I'd buy it.

35. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

The D is not my favourite design of ship, but I have to say he six-footer looks nicer than the 4 footer which has the exaggerated detail. The only downside is the 6ft doesn't account for the alterations made to accommodate 10 Forward.

6 or 4 ft, I still wouldn't have room for one, but a more affordable 2 footer? Maybe.

36. wizardofthenorth

wizardofthenorth Active Member

I can only speak for myself...but I would only be interested if the final model were a direct casting of the 4ft filming miniature. Now...if there are a few things that need fixed and touched up...that is understandable. Could handle it being solid resin...but clear fibreglass would be preferred.

Whether I could afford it, that is another story. At ~$5000...too rich for my blood. A DIY at sub $1000? Strong chance I would go for it.

And finally...D is my second fav, after the refit enterprise.

37. Tom1971

Tom1971 Sr Member

4 ft or nothing as well. $1,000 would be great. The rich have enough. A couple at $5,000 or a few hundred at a $1,000. Do the math.

Actually a 4 to 10 foot version of the following:

Enterprise Refit

Excelsior

Enterprise E.

That would be swell.

BTW despite issues with EFX I keep buying their stuff so listen to me Bryan.

38. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

I love the Enterprise D - though the Refit-A is undoubtedly awesome, the D was always my favorite.

The question is where would you properly display a 4 foot ship at home...

39. TheRealMcFly

Hang it up it's not a very tall model.

While researching the four footer I was suprised to discover its the only filming miniature with the correct saucer edge height as it relates to the ten forward interior set. Probert had a different window configuration along the saucer edge later abandoned after he left before season 2.

So while fans of the D seem to favor the six footer proportions the four footer is the most canon version of the ship we see represented on screen.

40. spinner 44

spinner 44 Well-Known Member

I don't think I would have room space or the $$ to buy a ship larger than 2 foot. A 1/2scaled version of the 4 footer will be perfect for me.

41. leplante

leplante Active Member

My vote would be for the 4 ft model. It will be expensive either way, so if I shell out big bucks, I want to open the box and be blown away. The scale scale issue is what prevents me from collecting the QMX line. I look at the detail, and think its a beautiful model, then I look at the price tag and I cant justify the cost for the size. If QMX had added another foot or two on to their refit, I would be ordering one right now.

42. satazius

satazius Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4 Footer. There are already smaller options available. No other options for a version such as this. A ballpark retail price would be helpful to gauge interest. Its hard to imagine it being practical to produce and sell TBH, but it sure would be cool.

43. DCI Gene Hunt

DCI Gene Hunt New Member

The D is my least favorite design - regardless of it being 2, 3 or 4 long. But either way I'm sure that efx will make a cracking job of it!

44. rga321

rga321 New Member

4 footer please! Would be more interested in a 4 foot Refit TMP Enterprise though....

45. rga321

rga321 New Member

I agree 100%. I would have one on order if it were 4 feet.

46. darthgordon

darthgordon Sr Member

My vote would be to scale it down... but my vote doesn't count for much, as I still probably couldn't afford it either way.

But seriously- does anyone realize just how big a four foot long Enterprise D will be?! That's 4 ft. long and ~3 ft. wide!

Married men- your wives will kill you.
    Unmarried men- prepare to stay that way.

47. djbigdaddy816

djbigdaddy816 New Member

Hmmm where would I put it ?? LOL!

48. wizardofthenorth

wizardofthenorth Active Member

i could see mounting it vertically on the wall...depth is probably only ~2 ft.
    Perhaps an inset in a wall. As i am building my basement...i will be planning the location of the things I want to display. As much as i wish, this will realistically not be one of them.

The key IMO...is not to overdo it and make it tasteful. Lit, yes. But probably not all the fancy base lighting, sound, lcars, etc.

I think most living rooms or basements could find room...but it is definitely the type of thing that is a centre piece to a movie room, lounge type of room.

It is not meant to be hanging/sitting beside all of your 30 other scifi models, finished and in kits.

I would not like to see it scaled down personally, because i would only be interested if it were a copy/duplicate of the studio model made directly from said model...not just a model of the model. But those are just my preferences. That doesn't mean I don't like a good model...but if you are selling me a studio scale model, especially when the original is available...I expect studio scale...and legacy to the filming miniature as well.

Yes, please recast it. :)

49. ShadoControl

ShadoControl Active Member

Sorry, no interest in D. ST:TMP E would be great! Klingon Bird-of-Prey, even better! (ST:WoK, of course!)

50. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

I have the MR (TOS) Enterprise and that size is about as big as I would want a studio scale piece in my man-cave. Anything 2-3 foot in length works for me. And please consider the pricing carefully. These $5K items are a bit silly for essentially a model. Yes, I know how much work goes into them but that price is just really beyond the range of most. Love to see one priced at $2K (or less). Looking forward to the progress on this.