EFX DARTH VADER LEGEND VS LIMITED EDITION DETAILS?

So, what generation down are we talking with the EFX helmets, from the ANH Helmet?
Rick Baker mold>EFX Master Cast>EFX production mold(s)>EFX production fiberglass helmet.
3rd generation?

The optical illusion in that photo is interesting. The bit you have circled almost makes it look like the 3M tabs were molded in place. It's a combination of the paint gunk that surrounded the tabs along with bits of clay Mr Baker used to fill in the screw holes where the tabs were attached as well as two sets of "residual" holes where the first attempt at the mounting system was done before they switched to using three tabs.
I wasn’t actually the one who circled the part in the photo I just had that saved from the den I believe lol, I can’t remember what thread it was from, but yep for how grainy of a picture it is it’s really easy to see the 5 sets of holes on the top

So, what generation down are we talking with the EFX helmets, from the ANH Helmet?
Rick Baker mold>EFX Master Cast>EFX production mold(s)>EFX production fiberglass helmet.
3rd generation?
Unless efx added a step in there that they aren't telling anyone about, that is essentially correct :cool: Though I suppose you could argue that there is an additional generation as I assume that efx took their pull from the Baker mold and made copies, one of which was then modified to become what we might call the "production master".

Last edited:
The "lineage" casts I have seen photos of look rougher than what I see in shots from ANH. I don't know why that is or if it is just an illusion.

I have been told that some "tells" were added to certain casts so they could detect unapproved recasting.

3rd generation?
in my personal opinionn i'd say they probably took the rb cast, molded it, made some castings out of it, some for reworking, some for personal collections, those casts for reworking were than re molded to make the prototypes which if were approved had the production molds made, so i'd put them pretty much 3rd/4th gen, I'm just guessing but i'd say its around there

The "lineage" casts I have seen photos of look rougher than what I see in shots from ANH. I don't know why that is or if it is just an illusion.

I have been told that some "tells" were added to certain casts so they could detect unapproved recasting.
Nice. Like watermark kinda stuff.
Well, I guess it is a prudent step, with all the other rampant casting going on out there.
I think one or two or three unaltered fiberglass helmets were pulled too, you know...while they were down there....
lol

I also wonder how much surface detail is naturally lost during each mold and casting process? If they left it unaltered, how different would it actually be from the source anyway due to the multiple molding and castings?

Molding materials used today are so much better than they were 10-20-30+ years ago.

If you use the right stuff, take your time, use slow cure products, and cast with care, you can get virtually 0% shrinkage casts with absolutely all the details of the original.

Re-casters use the cheapest stuff possible, use quick-cure products, pull casts before being fully cured, and don't use care with their molds which is why re-casted items usually suffer from shrinkage and warping.

Molding materials used today are so much better than they were 10-20-30+ years ago.
If you use the right stuff, take your time, use slow cure products, and cast with care, you can get virtually 0% shrinkage casts with absolutely all the details of the original.
That's good to know. : )

Last edited:
Is it also correct or no, that eFX's master casting from the Rick Baker moulds were left unaltered in the production of the Legend/Limited pieces?

This in incorrect. EFX master castings were altered - plenty of missing dings and surface details (paint drips, etc) in the final production run for the LE and Legend editions — including the dome.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back