Effects of hairspray on steel

Sn4k3

Jr Member
Hi guys and gals.

Does anyone know of hairspray corrode steel?

Is a layer of hairspray is apply to a steel surface, will that overtime give path to the creation of corrosion?

I don’t think so. I never heard of that as a use fit corroding. I know a mixture of peroxide, salt, and vinegar can be used.

I just did a quick YouTube search for the mixture mentioned above, and I found this, though it is more rust then corrosion. Maybe you can just use this idea and play with it to get lighter results?

Last edited:
So... The quick answer would be, no, hairspray does not create rust, right?.

I have to apologize, reading again my first post i think i did not explain enough.

Im asking if hairspray would creates rust on steel because i want to use for weathering steel pice with real sand but i don't want to create any rust on it

It shouldn't. We (artists) used to use aerosol hair spray as a fixative for art.
If it doesn't harm delicate papers and mediums like charcoal and pastel, it shouldn't hurt steel, right?
We used Aqua Net aerosol. I don't know if they make it anymore, though.

It shouldn't. We (artists) used to use aerosol hair spray as a fixative for art.
If it doesn't harm delicate papers and mediums like charcoal and pastel, it shouldn't hurt steel, right?
We used Aqua Net aerosol. I don't know if they make it anymore, though.
Well i know some sandtrooper use common hairspray to fix realmsand to their armor, and basically that is what i want to to, but with a steel piece

I've heard it mentioned in several videos and a friend that used to have a bike shop told me about it.

I'm guessing it reduces friction for the install but also dries quickly and is sticky.

And we'd put a nickel in the grip first, so the ends of the grip wouldn't be cut out by the end bar doing bar endos, Miami hoppers, etc.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back