Edward Elric's Spear [3D MODEL PIC 27JUL2012]

Sandman0077

Sr Member
This was one of the first scenes from the anime Fullmetal Alchemist that I watched way back when it first came out in Japan, and I was hooked instantly. The main character Edward creates this spear from sand via Alchemy. Awesome spear that (sadly) no one has made an accurate reproduction of (even though they sell them on ebay). So I'm gonna give it a shot.

References:
Full.jpg

1.jpg

snapshot20090413202637.jpg

Horrible cosplay prop sold on ebay for around $100:
Spear.jpg

My design:
2011-07-28172253-1.jpg

The bladed portion of my version will measure 20" long , 1/2" - 3/4" thick, and 9" wide. It will be cast in resin once it's completed, and I will be using just a normal broom handle for the pole portion.

So far only my master design and stencil exist. I will begin cutting the wood tomorrow.

Last edited:
Re: Edward Elric's Spear

I agree. There aren't enough good anime props out there.

I anticipate the most difficult part of this is going to be the dragons head/body.

Re: Edward Elric's Spear

UPDATE

I got the rough cut done:
1312152296.jpg

I'm very happy with the wood I decided to use because it has five layers, which comes in handy because the dragon's wings are thinner than the large blade so I just peeled away the outer layers (saves me on sanding!):
1312152298.jpg

Started to sand and shape the blade edges:
1312208529.jpg

1312208531.jpg

Re: Edward Elric's Spear [NEW PICS 1AUG2011]

Not bad!!! I wish I were short enough and skinny enough to be Ed at the next Anime convention LOL

I have a few on the back burner, but if I don't finish at least one project completely this time my wife might divorce me lol.

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth."

very cool project I look forward to your progress....

Re: Edward Elric's Spear [NEW PICS 08AUG2011]

3/4 of the way done with this bad boy. Army life has currently taken up my life so I will attempt to work some more this weekend. Sorry for the delay (for those who care about this project).

Sorry for the long wait but Army life has got me down. Working on some 3d modeling to get some props done and printed on the side in my free time. Updates to come I promise.

Hey guys! No updates, other than I really want to finish this freaking prop. Still in Afghanistan, and was doing some research on this one in my spare time and remembered I had started this last year sometime. The spear head is currently packed away from my move last year, and thinking back I wasn't too happy with how it came out. I really want to make this happen as I've gotten alot of PMs regarding it. I'm thinking I might try to do a 3D model and print in aluminum. Would be more expensive, but for those who would want a metal version could have one, plus it would be a more accurate casting in resin too for those who want that kind. Still deciding. I didn't anticipate the sanding of the edges to be so difficult to get even and symmetrical.

mdf would be another option, easy to sand carve and shape, hope all goes well for you guys out there

Here is the 3D model I've been working on today minus the Dragon head and tail. I may have to have someone else do that because I'm not that great at modeling and I dont think its possible to do it in SketchUp. Especially on a netbook lol. Question for someone who might know, does the dragon go on both sides or just one? I'm thinking just one, but I haven't finished Brotherhood yet so they may have shown both sides. If not, I'll have to smooth the section where the pole part meets the blade. No Biggy.

3dModel.png

man, you do not have to look exactly like him to dress as him. i saw a really chubby lust. LUST. (scarred for life)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back