ED-209 1/12 Scratch Build WIP

RoboForceGo

Jr Member
Hello! I wanted to share a project that I've been working on for about a year now.

ED-209 is one of my all time favorite robot designs, but I've always been disappointed with the kits that have been available on the market. Last summer I picked up ZBrush for the purpose of sculpting my own toys/collectibles and I became hell bent on making my own ED.

yxjsBQJ.jpg
VqLPCR0.jpg
zpnjJTp.jpg
dyFV0MC.jpg
o5oyLBd.jpg

Some details like wires are missing from the renders, but they'll be added physically.

I've just recently started to print the components on a Form 2:

KOyLVI3.jpg
6xvjerg.jpg
IiVF2YD.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'll be posting updates as I make forward progress.

What are you using as reference? The mouth looks better than most of the toys I've seen on the market.

I've mostly been using process photos posted by Chronicle Collectibles when they were making resin castings based on the original stop mo miniature. Other than that, just screen grabs from the movie and everything google image search has to offer.

I think that cylindrical shape running up the center of the back of the is supposed to be threaded. You might be able to use threaded rod for it for extra detail. This looks great though. I love ED!

I think that cylindrical shape running up the center of the back of the is supposed to be threaded. You might be able to use threaded rod for it for extra detail. This looks great though. I love ED!

Thanks!

Yes, you're right. The leg rods are threaded in the renders, but they're a little too thin and shallow to be noticeable. I've gone back and re-sculpted them to be more accurate.

Amazing work!
How long did it take you to learn Z-Brush to make something like that? You only had the program for less than a year.
purchased a copy 7 years ago and I could never figure it out. I really wish they had some classes or training for it.
I never though it could create functional mechanical parts with it. I think your project has just reactivated my interest in Z-Brush.

I really wish they had some classes or training for it.

When in doubt - youtube. It's full of tutorial goodness for everything you want. While hard surface modelling is possible in zbrush (as is evident by the amazing model by the OP), strictly "non-organic" subjects might be more straight forward to model in other software. Also it's not uncommon to import a sculpt to purely add functional/mechanical stuff in other software (blender comes to mind).
having said that I would very much like to see/read more about the process behind modelling ED-209.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back