ecoflex 0010 silicone

thicky ricardo

hello anyone ever use ecoflex 0010 silicone before? I bought some cuz I wanted to cast some soft parts but after I demold it is still tacky or sticky. Is there anything that can stop this? Thanks for all the info ahead of time

He means what are your originals made of?

Some materials such as Sulfur based clays will not alow the silicone to cure on it.
Addition Cure - Inhibition:
materials known to inhibit cure are Sulfur-Containing clays, modeling clays, natural rubber such as latex and rubber gloves, masking tape, amine or sulfur containing materials, natural body oils, greasy fingers and condensation cure (catalyzed) silicones.

Other than that, are you thoroughly mixing the parts together?
I've never working with ecoflex but my PlatSil is blue+pink=purple. You can see any streaking when mixing and if your heavy on one part or the other then you may end up not curing in the normal time.

The ecoflex 0010 silicone is a platinum Silicone which is perfect for casting plastic resins and Ultracal in.

Actually, I assumed he meant that he was casting the silicone as the part i.e. prosthetics.

What were your original sculpts made of? Since hydrocal is a plaster, it is porous, and the only thing I can think of is that if you used a clay with sulfur in it (and chavant NSP can contain enough sulfur to inhibit platinum cure silicones) then it may have absorbed some of that and be inhibiting your silicone castings. Try sealing the molds with a clear coat, and if none of what I said applies, give smooth on a call and ask their tech support guys, they're pretty helpful.

Actually, I assumed he meant that he was casting the silicone as the part i.e. prosthetics.
Aaaahhhhh.

What were your original sculpts made of? Since hydrocal is a plaster, it is porous, and the only thing I can think of is that if you used a clay with sulfur in it (and chavant NSP can contain enough sulfur to inhibit platinum cure silicones) then it may have absorbed some of that and be inhibiting your silicone castings.
I wouldn't have thought about transfer... good point.

Well, the only thing I can think of is either you're not mixing it properly, or perhaps the ultracal is causing the tackiness somehow. Call smooth on, they should be able to give you more help.

ive been looking up silicone and to get a tacky and sticky feeling to silicone your adding to much of one or using tomuch deadner to it, it said also you could use
powder to fix it but it cant be painted if it was tacky/sticky

quote from deadner description,

Add Smith's Deadener to Platsil Gel-10 & PlatSil Gel-00 liquid rubbers to lower cured hardness and remove synthetic qualities inherent in the silicone rubber. Add by weight as much as 250% Smith's Deadener to mixed Gel-10 to create a chemically stable gel with the look and feel you desire. Add over 30% for a non-paintable, sticky cured gel. Eliminate tackiness with powder or a paintable barrier coat of Gel-10. (Once powdered, the stickiness cannot be brought back). All Gels are compatible and can be laminated to create multi-layered softness. PlatSil Gel-10 is a perfect barrier coat for painting and surface tension. Add over 250% Smith?s Deadener to achieve a super gel (i.e.- fat).

He may have figured it out already since this the last post in this thread was almost a year ago.

Welcome to the Lair!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back