Ebay CD torrent and link: Mods Please Advise

jabbanobotha

Just wanted to see if a Mod would weigh in on whether posting links to photos contained on the recent ebay reference photos CD is permissible. I have created and I'm hosting a torrent as well as all the photos on my site, but have refrained from posting the links due to an abundance of caution.

A few people have PMed saying that they'd find the photos useful, and I'm sure others would as well.

The torrent is close to 450 megs, and there are probably 1000 photos.

Give me the OK and I'll post the links on here.

Josh

You might find the article I posted in the other thread a little funny - I think there's really no answer as to how any current law would apply to digital pictures being sourced from books. Maybe it only becomes illegal if you print the photos out on something "tangible", like paper? Who knows :)

<div class='quotetop'>(pinotblogger @ Jun 26 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]1268746[/snapback]</div>
Just wanted to see if a Mod would weigh in on whether posting links to photos contained on the recent ebay reference photos CD is permissible. I have created and I'm hosting a torrent as well as all the photos on my site, but have refrained from posting the links due to an abundance of caution.

A few people have PMed saying that they'd find the photos useful, and I'm sure others would as well.

Josh
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(pinotblogger @ Jun 26 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]1268746[/snapback]</div>

Josh
[/b]

Regardless of legality I think that's a very generous and cool offer -
Thanks.

Anson

Here's how I see it though someone may weigh in and change my way of thinking on the legality issue.

From what I understand, this CD contains images that are and have been readily available through various media and have been public.

Unless, the CD contains images that are private and has been stated to not be use for public viewing and you're not making a profit from letting others view them on your website, I say they may be shown.

Then again I may be wrong in that thinking and if so I apologize.

<div class='quotetop'>(EchoLeader @ Jun 26 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]1268793[/snapback]</div>
Unless, the CD contains images that are private and has been stated to not be use for public viewing and you're not making a profit from letting others view them on your website, I say they may be shown.
[/b]

Definitely not here to make money.

I've thought it over and let the question hang for three days now. My thinking is that morally nothing wrong is occurring. Technically, I may be infringing on Lucas' copyright, but none of the photos in the collection are of complete pages from any book, and so may constitute fair use. I'll also be glad to remove any images, or even the entire collection, upon request.

All that said, I think it would be cool if this collection could be added to and updated, and the torrent could be reseeded every so often. It would be a great way of pooling our efforts and making access to reference much easier for those just getting into the hobby (and even for people who've been at it a while but are too lazy to surf all the sites out there, like me). So if anyone wants to add to the collection feel free to send me photos that may be missing.

Anyway, here are the links:

The Torrent

The pics hosted on my site: http://www.pinotblogger.com/star_wars_reference_photos/

Again, mods please let me know if you'd like the links removed.

-Josh

That's an awesome link, thanks for putting it up. I noticed there's a few photo's on that CD that have the Starshipbuilder logo on them as well as a few other site's that are freely available on the net.

Not to sound dumb, but what is a torrent??? Thanks. And it figures someone would be downloading pics hosted at my site and then selling them. Sheesh.

Bit Torrent is the file sharing protocol that has Hollywood all a-tremble these days.

It is also a VERY sweet way to share files legitimately.

In order to download a terrent file you will need a client. I am currently using Azuerous(sp?). Bitlord is good too.

<div class='quotetop'>(star-art @ Jun 28 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]1270010[/snapback]</div>
Not to sound dumb, but what is a torrent??? Thanks. And it figures someone would be downloading pics hosted at my site and then selling them. Sheesh.
[/b]

Yeah, saw a couple of them posted by me from a thread here in this forum.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back