Easy way?

sydh

First of, i would like to thank all of you here at The Hunter's Lair for inspiring me and posting such helpful stuff.

I myself, am planning on making a suit and saw this video the other day of a guy who made a mask in a very simple way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQRgJex_u8

He doesn't show any close up pictures of it, so that you can see the details, but I'd like to know if there's anyone who has tried this method and can leave some feedback on the results.

Any other thoughts are welcome :D

Seeing what the guy started out with, the finished product is pretty awesome! Kinda on the smallish side, and obviously not that detailed. Would have loved to see close up shots or for the guy to hold still for one damn second, but it looks pretty cool.

Unless you're pretty good at sculpting, casting and painting, I'd advise you save up and buy a mask. If you get a great mask, it makes ALL the difference and pulls the whole suit together.
Good luck with whatever you decide :D

If you get a great mask, it makes ALL the difference and pulls the whole suit together.

Beg to differ here. If you wear a bio, no one sees the mask. Otherwise - there are countless way to **** up your general appearance all the while sporting the top notch sculpted/painted mask. All suits are an achievement in their own way. But what goes for fashion goes for suits too, IMO: you don't have to buy expensive stuff to look killer. A cheap pair of jeans might just do the same. It's the eye of the buyer that makes the difference. Taste doesn't come with a price tag.

Well, the thing is that i don't want to buy my gear. I want to customize it my own way and live the experience so to say :D

My artistic skills have always been pretty good throughout my life, and i do paint alot and have already painted up parts of my suit, armor, bio etc. So i dont think that the sculpting/painting will be a problem. The only problem is that i do not know how detailed the latex mask will turn out after using this method.

Thank you :D

I will give this method a try and see how it goes. I will probably start a "work in progress" post when i start.

Who knows, it might turn out pretty good after all, and if it doesn't...molding time!

If you're good with sculpting and painting and other artistic skills, I don't think you should have any problem sculpting your own mask.

I haven't tried this particular method of mask making as shown in the video. It seems to me that you'd either end up with a thin mask after brushing on layer after layer of latex, or you'd lose the detail if you tried to make the mask very thick. I've always made my masks by doing the sculpt in oil-based clay, then doing a two-part mold using Ultracal 30 plaster, and then slush-casting the latex inside the mold. It'll preserve the detail, and all things considered, doing the mold isn't a huge time expense when compared with the time taken to sculpt the mask in the first place and then paint it afterward. The Monster Makers has an overview of this method on their site.

Good luck, and post pictures as you go!

ya if you have a good vibe on 3D art. u wouldnt have a prob with makin ur own mask. that way u could call it ur own too, more cool in the process. im almost done with mine, a few more days.

photo-5.jpg

:p

Actually that didn't turn out too bad. I am surprised and may give it a tr, not with a pred but maybe something else.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back