Easiest Romana Sonic Screwdriver

Dan Efran

Hi, I'm Dan Efran. I'm new to the RPF, but I've been building my own props for decades. I've been working on a few amusing little prop projects recently and thought I'd share some pictures. To start out, here's a super-simple prop I could hardly NOT make....

I read somewhere (probably RPF, or maybe tardisbuilders) that Romana's Sonic Screwdriver was made from a telescoping inspection mirror handle. I don't know if that's true - to me it looks very plausible, but I'd love to see proof. But whether or not that's the original prop's true origin, the visual resemblance is unmistakable; following that theory makes it one of the easiest prop builds imaginable.

To be honest, I'd forgotten that Romana even HAD a sonic screwdriver! Once reminded, though, just I had to add one to my "sonic toolbox".

I ordered a cheap, plain-looking inspection mirror. When it arrived, I unscrewed the swiveling mirror, took off the pocket clip, extended it partway, and wrapped it with some colored tape. Voila, a Doctor Who prop!

Romana Sonic.JPG

Here's a size comparison to the 4th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver toy.

My Romana Sonic sized up.JPG

It looks a bit skinny to me. If this type of tool is what they used for the original, I'd guess they had a fatter one than I found. But I honestly haven't researched this prop very much at all.

In any case, I'm happy with my new toy.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back