Eaglemoss DeLorean Question

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I wanted to reach out to the community to see what people think of the Eaglemoss Delorean. I am assembling one for a friend and I am having all kinds of problems. The tiny screws won't drive into the the metal. My guess is that when the coat it after threading the clog up the wholes. I'm only on kit 12 and I'm getting really frustrated. The screwdrivers they provided and the head of the screws are striping out. I build mechanical assemblies for a living, so I have some experience. What am I doing wrong? I thought everything screwing together would make this easier, but so far I am struggling with this model.

Yeah, the engineering is iffy a lot of the time. For the screws into metal what I've been doing is use one of the screws (since they give you an extra) held in needlenose pliers to pre-tap the holes. You can get a lot more torque on the screw with the pliers. And yes, you have one shot to screw a screw in with the screwdriver before it strips the head out. So pre-tapping all metal pieces is my #1 tip. Especially on the front suspension assemblies. God, I really about lost my mind on those. I also recommend using different drivers than the kit comes with. I have a bit driver that has two small bits that are perfect, plus they're hardened. I've actually had less stripping of the heads with them.

It's a neat model, but some of it is chintzy, like they really made it so only one tiny screw holds the entire wheel on? I don't get that one. Mine are perpetually wobbly. If I tighten them then they don't turn freely. I would have engineered those way differently. Also the wheels all flip down when I pick it up, so the magnetic idea was good but poorly executed.

The screws are very cheap quality, some have used a tiny drop of WD40 or something similar to help getting the screws in without stripping the heads.
als get some better screwdrivers, the heads of the screws can even differ between same sets of screws :/

I wanted to reach out to the community to see what people think of the Eaglemoss Delorean. I am assembling one for a friend and I am having all kinds of problems. The tiny screws won't drive into the the metal. My guess is that when the coat it after threading the clog up the wholes. I'm only on kit 12 and I'm getting really frustrated. The screwdrivers they provided and the head of the screws are striping out. I build mechanical assemblies for a living, so I have some experience. What am I doing wrong? I thought everything screwing together would make this easier, but so far I am struggling with this model.
The screwdrivers they give you with the build are terrible, I switched over to a half decent set I have had for years and that sorted that problem. With regards to the screws themselves, when they're going into metal then I always coat each screw thread with 3-in-1 oil (if you have magnetic drivers you can just dip them in a little pot of it), which is really cheap stuff to buy, and it truly makes all the difference.

Dang, I haven't gotten a shipment from them since I wrote my response above. Seven months or so? How about everyone else?

I've got four wheels, a chassis, and an engine. Great time machine. :rolleyes:

Dang, I haven't gotten a shipment from them since I wrote my response above. Seven months or so? How about everyone else?

I've got four wheels, a chassis, and an engine. Great time machine. :rolleyes:

Yeah, super strange for me also. It will go months with nothing and then all of a sudden I will get 2 shipments for a month for no reason and then it will pause. All and all it's a really cool display piece but I would not buy it again (if that makes sense...).

Agreed, the engineering is pretty hoky in parts and the issues with the weak wheels and garbage screws are spot on. Thanks for all the tips on those screws, this will really help me finish it up.

Thats really strange...perhaps they have problems to become the parts from china these days?About Covid?
I had no problems with my abo...finished it´s really a beauty...love mine.

IMG_E4015.JPG

Thanks...yes it has some stickers from Mike inside the car.Made also a mod for the blue lights around the car...in the kit are rubberlike cabels that don´t light up really good.So I installed glass fiber and that really makes it so much better.I also painted the green bottels on the side and the jets on the back of the car in a different color.

Well... Since it's pretty much official now that we won't be getting any more parts, what does everyone plan to do with their partial Deloreans?

I will admit that I died a little inside when I heard the news. Mine is just a rolling chassis with an engine, so it might as well go in the trash. I can't imagine anyone will want the first part of the build. It's the rest of it that'll be in high demand now. At least if I'd gotten a lot of the body panels it would be worth doing something with.

Try sourcing the parts from Japan. The "Build the DeLorean" series was released there by Deagostini fir some reason. None of the Eaglemoss "Build the 'X'" series are available to Canadians. I wish Deagostini would do more of these, at least they ship the Build the Falcon series to Canadians.

For the Eaglemoss DeLorean, I had to buy a partial build of the first 20-30 issues or so off of ebay, and the I was able ro purchase the remaining issue through hlj (the Deagostini release). A Quick look shows most issues are on backorder.
Well... Since it's pretty much official now that we won't be getting any more parts, what does everyone plan to do with their partial Deloreans?

I will admit that I died a little inside when I heard the news. Mine is just a rolling chassis with an engine, so it might as well go in the trash. I can't imagine anyone will want the first part of the build. It's the rest of it that'll be in high demand now. At least if I'd gotten a lot of the body panels it would be worth doing something with.

Try sourcing the parts from Japan. The "Build the DeLorean" series was released there by Deagostini fir some reason. None of the Eaglemoss "Build the 'X'" series are available to Canadians. I wish Deagostini would do more of these, at least they ship the Build the Falcon series to Canadians.

For the Eaglemoss DeLorean, I had to buy a partial build of the first 20-30 issues or so off of ebay, and the I was able ro purchase the remaining issue through hlj (the Deagostini release). A Quick look shows most issues are on backorder.

I suspect that the "backorder" bit will be permanent. I'll have to keep an eye out though. I was really getting into it, doing some weathering and grime on the engine and stuff. I was especially happy with the rust pattern I got on the muffler that they all seem to have in reference pics.

anyone have any news? i still have about 40 issues to go... :((((
I just purchased the mod boards and extras... im crushed

There is talk on Facebook, that the factory making the parts will take over, and start making parts again, but nothing is known about a time frame.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back