E11 Blaster - Folding Stock Steel Replica

neilshy

I live in Melbourne, Australia so it's incredibly hard to get my hands on original Sterling parts to build an E11 blaster. I've therefore gone the route that many have travelled and have opted to scratch build. I bought a doopy-doos kit as reference and am planning on fabricating as many details as I can. I bought a good quality resin Hengstler and will try to find a real one in the interim, same goes for the tank scope.

I really like the thought of an operating folding stock so with the aid of a colleague (who has over 25 years technical drawing and manufacturing experience), am going to draw one in inventor - make sure it works (in theory) and then have it machined in steel. In my day job, we have various precision parts machined from different suppliers all over the world (brass, steel, aluminium) so I know I'll end up with a high end item, it would just be much easier if we were able to hold a real folding stock and take all the measurements we need and observe the way it works.

We have managed to get a decent amount of measurements from the doopy cast but certain sections are impossible to ascertain and I'm not entirely sure how amazing the actual cast is. I have a copy of the original Sterling manual, and have also looked at the EJ Engineering plans that seem commonly used, but I've read that there are lots of inaccuracies with the plans - and can see them in the drawings.

We have lots of reference pictures from online and have consumed as many videos as possible. Here are a few very basic first drawings - in no way near the final product but we are making inroads. If the initial prototype works then we would possibly look at doing a limited run of them, but that's something to decide way down the track once I have built my own and am happy that It works.

We are basing this on being used on a 1.5inch diameter barrel as that seems to be a relatively common used size for E11 blaster builders.

If you are an aficionado of the folding stock, please feel free to share anything that you think might help us in our quest!

Snap2.gifSnap3.gifSnap4.gifSnap5.gif

Last edited:
It seems as if you already know a great deal about how it works. There are several small parts that should go in there as well.

You might already know that the rod is a hollow cylinder and has a rod inside it on a spring. There is a hole at the top of the cylinder. In that hole goes a hook fastened in the internal rod. This hook hooks into a hole at the bottom of the receiver when the butt stock is closed.
When you open the folding stock, a notch in the front of the "butt" presses the internal rod and this pushes the hook to allow it to release.
The hole in the receiver is the front-most round hole, extended with a square notch at the front for the hook.

The cylinder is only round in along most of its length. It is square at the back end with rounded corners, like a 6-sided dice.

Tomorrow my airsoft sterling from Evike is due to arrive, and the stock does fold/unfold, so if you want you can pm me your email addy and I will send you some pics, I will post here the measurements, I would post pics here but am unable too :(

I have a stock off a demilled Sterling sitting in front of me right now. What measurements or photos would you like?

Attachments

• IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2931.JPG
    IMG_2931.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2927.JPG
    IMG_2927.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2937.JPG
    IMG_2937.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2935.JPG
    IMG_2935.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2934.JPG
    IMG_2934.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 157
I live in Melbourne, Australia so it's incredibly hard to get my hands on original Sterling parts to build an E11 blaster.

If you are an aficionado of the folding stock, please feel free to share anything that you think might help us in our quest!

All you need is a buddy in the states to bring one back for you, as I did :D

I've got it installed on my aluminium pipe build E-11. Anything you need to know about it, just ask.

It seems as if you already know a great deal about how it works. There are several small parts that should go in there as well.

You might already know that the rod is a hollow cylinder and has a rod inside it on a spring. There is a hole at the top of the cylinder. In that hole goes a hook fastened in the internal rod. This hook hooks into a hole at the bottom of the receiver when the butt stock is closed.
When you open the folding stock, a notch in the front of the "butt" presses the internal rod and this pushes the hook to allow it to release.
The hole in the receiver is the front-most round hole, extended with a square notch at the front for the hook.

The cylinder is only round in along most of its length. It is square at the back end with rounded corners, like a 6-sided dice.

It's this type of info that I can't get from pictures online or really from watching videos - thanks so much for taking the time to post. To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure of how the latch/release system was working but knew that something was going on, awesome help - massively appreciated!

I have a stock off a demilled Sterling sitting in front of me right now. What measurements or photos would you like?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these photos. You have no idea how much help it is!

I'm wondering if you have any images of the spring mechanism that goes inside the tubular barrel of the stock or is that something thats unable to be removed? Also curious to know about the teardrop shaped washer type components that go either side of the bracket that mounts to the body - are they just acting as 'washers' or are they purely a design / aesthetic thing - are the welded onto the arms of the stock?

One last question - the small protruding triangularish details that come of of the inside of the prongs, are they what the stops the barrel falling through?

Theres are incredibly helpful images. I will double check with my colleague who is putting the drawings together for me if there is anything else specific that he would benefit from seeing.

Hugely appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

All you need is a buddy in the states to bring one back for you, as I did :D

I've got it installed on my aluminium pipe build E-11. Anything you need to know about it, just ask.

Thanks for getting in touch! - are you in Australia also?

Can I ask what plans you are using or are you like me and basing in on as much different info as possibly - you working on a 1.5inch barrel?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these photos. You have no idea how much help it is!

I'm wondering if you have any images of the spring mechanism that goes inside the tubular barrel of the stock or is that something thats unable to be removed? Also curious to know about the teardrop shaped washer type components that go either side of the bracket that mounts to the body - are they just acting as 'washers' or are they purely a design / aesthetic thing - are the welded onto the arms of the stock?

One last question - the small protruding triangularish details that come of of the inside of the prongs, are they what the stops the barrel falling through?

Theres are incredibly helpful images. I will double check with my colleague who is putting the drawings together for me if there is anything else specific that he would benefit from seeing.

Hugely appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for getting in touch! - are you in Australia also?

Can I ask what plans you are using or are you like me and basing in on as much different info as possibly - you working on a 1.5inch barrel?

Sorry, should update my profile - yes, in Canberra.

I used an old style DVH resin kit as the basis on a 40mm pipe, using these plans to know where everything goes.http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28936-e-11-pvc-pipe-build-templates-imperial-and-metric/

This was my build. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29089-dvh-pipe-build-with-extras/

I am loathe to disassemble the spring mechanism because the spring is very strong and I may not be able to reassemble it. I'm working on a diagram which should show what I'm seeing as the mechanism moves. I'll have more pics too. Will post in an hour or two. :)

I have no idea how long the spring is, but it is extremely strong. Unlatching the butt plate and letting it snap shut sounds like a rat trap. I believe the hook is inserted in the interior shaft in the same manner as the cocking lever to the bolt.

The butt plate has a locking plate on the inside with a small leaf spring underneath. The large hole in the middle of the lock shows the leaf spring and the two small rivets hold the leaf spring to the locking plate.

The little protrusions on the inside of the stock 'arms' lock into the indentions at the bottom of the butt cap and hold the stock in place.

The little teardrop shapes are attached to the arms of the stock and I believe are there for reinforcement.

Attachments

• ss20150511 .png
    ss20150511 .png
    55.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2946.JPG
    IMG_2946.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2945.JPG
    IMG_2945.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2943.JPG
    IMG_2943.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2941.JPG
    IMG_2941.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2947.JPG
    IMG_2947.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 140
Sorry, should update my profile - yes, in Canberra.

I used an old style DVH resin kit as the basis on a 40mm pipe, using these plans to know where everything goes.http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28936-e-11-pvc-pipe-build-templates-imperial-and-metric/

This was my build. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29089-dvh-pipe-build-with-extras/

Awesome build blog - thanks for the link, been through all of the pages and have seen loads of images that have helped me already, consider the page bookmarked in my E11 build reference folder! Really interesting stuff on the folding stock and so helpful to see the mechanics of an original - thanks!

I have no idea how long the spring is, but it is extremely strong. Unlatching the butt plate and letting it snap shut sounds like a rat trap. I believe the hook is inserted in the interior shaft in the same manner as the cocking lever to the bolt.

The butt plate has a locking plate on the inside with a small leaf spring underneath. The large hole in the middle of the lock shows the leaf spring and the two small rivets hold the leaf spring to the locking plate.

The little protrusions on the inside of the stock 'arms' lock into the indentions at the bottom of the butt cap and hold the stock in place.

The little teardrop shapes are attached to the arms of the stock and I believe are there for reinforcement.

Thanks so much again for taking the time with all of this - the close up images are a massive help and it's incredibly kind of you to provide a drawing of the spring mechanism. Between this and the other guys who have helped, I have learnt an incredible amount over a couple of days. I should hopefully be able to post some progress 3D drawings soon that should take all of this extra knowledge into account!

Niel, I have emailed you two emails hope it helps, Robert
If you need more let me know

Just got to reading them now - awesome images and such a help. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that - massively appreciated. I was just messaging another guy and saying how much I have learnt about this in such a short space of time - I have heaps of info to consume and translate into a 3d model.

Thank you so much for your help, the support community here is quite incredible - I should be able to post some updated drawing soon!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back