E-web build

Don Jarr

Hi All

So I was having a bash at building an e-web for the UK garrison guys, and have almost finished the power box, so started planning the cannon and tripod and when talking to an elderly chum of mine, he thought the side bits on the cannon body were airplane yokes, but couldn't remember off what, so if anyone has any info on this or any other parts of the cannon I would love to hear from you.

So this is what he thought, but admitted he is getting on, and his memory is not what it used to be, lol.

In the picture we're looking at the back, not the front hence you can see the strengthening struts if you like.

He reckoned the top and bottom round tubes have been added so ignore them.

He said there might have been padding around what would be the hand grip side areas, but nothing fancy just tube type padding at best, and it was the unusual shape of the bottom that he recognised.

hand-a.jpg

Now I also found in the blueprints book a photo taken when they were making starwars as they visited four plane scrap yards around Britain and bought up thousands of pounds worth of old parts, so have also included the picture from the book, as I thought if someone can identify the engines in the picture it might help identify a possible plane.

plane.jpg

Many thanks

:) Don

Very interested to see what else you turn up. I've seen a few builds of these in various forums, but all with improvised parts. No one could say or document what the originals were.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I am an ex-RAF Aircraft Engineer and the parts you are talking about look like cable 'quadrants' used for maintaining tension in cable-operated systems (you can see the grooves around the edges where the cable would have gone around them). The tubes you refer to look like 'springboxes' which are an integral part of the cable quadrant.

At present, I have no idea of which aircraft these may be from. But with the film's date to work from and the pics of the engines, I will go away and do a little research for you :)

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but have been searching for e-web info for a while now and have just come across this.
The engines in the picture above are Rolls Royce Avons. Pretty sure they are MK 200 type engines. Definetly not the earlier version as the combustion cans are wrong, So this gives quite a list of aircraft Vickers Valiant, Fairey Delta, De Havilland Comet, Lightning, Canberra, Supermarine Scimitar, De Havilland Sea Vixen, probably a few others as well.
It is possible they could have been static engines used for power generation, but they have anti ice fitted so I dont think this is likely.
Wil

Hi Irken Tech, yes they do look very similar, also the control pulleys or sectors look much the same. I do think the gun pivot comes from some type aircraft pulley but as to which aircraft I dont know yet. Will have to keep looking and maybe post a picture ot two on some of the aircraft forums.

g450_elevator_output_lever.png14018_362_1.jpg

Wil.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back