E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial on Bike Project - (Progress Pics)

ShortWookie

Here is an E.T. project I've been working on since the beginning of the year.
ET Finish 1.png

My original plan is to build a life size ET display with the crate and bike as remembered at the end of the film.
Honestly, due to what's been going on with the world, It's been put on hold for many months until now.
Finally, this past weekend I was able to make progress and finish the head.

The partial head I purchased from eBay. It is made of foam, very strong and lightweight.
Considering I want this to be on a working bicycle, I didn't want to much weight up front.
ET 2.png
ET 1.png
ET 3.png

After a few hours of painting and sealing, I'm off to a good start.
ET 7.png
ET 8.png
ET 4.png

ET 9.png
ET 10.png

Finally, I install the custom glass eyes. - (This for me brings it all home.)
ET Finish 3.png
ET Finish 4.png

ET Finish 5.png
ET Finish 2.png

As for the other items. I was able to locate the same exact vintage large plastic crate as in the film. The crochet white blanket was easier than I thought to find as well.
So I'd say I'm more than half way done with this project as of today. But...

...it's last part of this project, I knew would kick my ass. Locating an accurate Kuwahara bike.
(Those who know this particular bike's history and model variations know what I mean).

Wish me luck y'all! ;)

Attachments

• ET Finish 1.png
    ET Finish 1.png
    442.2 KB · Views: 372
Yes. These eyes were a custom order from an Etsy store called 'SteampunkDream'. I sent them a few close up photos of ET's eyes from several sources and ordered them in two different sizes.
What they do is create a new digital image of the eye and e-mail you for approval. Once The image is approved, they hand make the eyes in your requested size out of glass. These are not full round eyeballs. They are flatback domed circle cabochons.

As for mounting them, I kept it as simple as possible. I only carved out enough space in the socket to snug fit the eyes. The foam head has some strong flex to it as it took a lot of abuse from me without showing any markings or distress. The eyes are removable, but again, a tight fit. All this to avoid using any adhesives.
It worked out better than I thought. ;)

Can I ask where you found the eyes, and how you mounted them?

The crate was a tricky one, as that seem like it took forever to locate. (of course, in comparison to locating the bike, the crate was a doozy).

I was always searching for "Vintage Large Crates" and "Wide Plastic Milk Crates". I rarely ever found anything close.
Then on a random google search earlier this year, (unrelated to ET or Produce), I found a picture of the same exact old crate being used to hold small gardening tools and brass fittings. It had a brand of "Jerseymaid Milk". So two minutes later I found many sources for them ranging in many different brands and all kinds of crazy pricing depending on condition. Heck, I found one crate that the guy wanted $100, for just one. I just couldn't do it. I figured, these types of crates were mass produced so I sided with patience.

Patience paid off this early this year when I purchased it on ebay for under $25.
ET Vintage crate.png

Once I had the crate in hand, I started to realize one detail that was off from the film's version. The top of the brim. The screen used crate has what looks like two solid bands going across the top edge, (all part of the same plastic mold).
ET bike scene.png

Mine has a single reinforced steel band instead. It's really a minor detail most won't notice. Other than that, I think it's perfect! ;)

ShortWookie Can you share a pic of the crate and how you tracked it down (or what search terms you used)?
[/QUOTE]

It would be cool to display this as just the front end of the bicycle. Mount the front end on the wall as if it were coming out of the wall, that way you don't need to source a whole bike and you can modify any vintage BMX bike to fit the part.... plus it will save a ton of space, lol.

It would be cool to display this as just the front end of the bicycle. Mount the front end on the wall as if it were coming out of the wall, that way you don't need to source a whole bike and you can modify any vintage BMX bike to fit the part.... plus it will save a ton of space, lol.

That is a great idea!!! I love it, thanks for sharing.
I think I may do just that if I can't get my hands on that bike this year. :cool:

Here’s a small update. Pardon the pics, they are not the best. I don’t have the best lighting at the moment so E.T. looks a bit dark.

I did some rough spray painting on the milk crate to get close to what it looked on film.
I started with a satin light blue and half ass sprayed a second coat of some flat white primer. It’s really close and achieves the look I’m going for. As for ET‘s body, I went full on pvc pipe for the job.
F9A6EA17-DAA3-481D-8384-D5C610B8CC55.jpeg
7FA19005-19C4-419B-BFC7-F2E7D5637564.jpeg

I had to cut and shape some dense foam to fill in for sections of the head and body. (I had no photos of this as it was all trial and error).
Last but not least, I throw on and position his blanket.
53BD78E7-7E91-4CE5-BB35-091283DA5790.jpeg
6A4EE091-90B0-43AF-B8A3-D4734BDF8F58.jpeg

At the moment everything you see is dry fitted. Nothing here is locked in place, not just yet.
I still have to adjust a few things and do some spray foam work to fill in voids before I decide to glue and fastened everything together, forever. (Cue that Rick Astley song, you know the one. )

I’ll take better photos on the next update! ;)

Here is an E.T. project I've been working on since the beginning of the year.
View attachment 1351050

My original plan is to build a life size ET display with the crate and bike as remembered at the end of the film.
Honestly, due to what's been going on with the world, It's been put on hold for many months until now.
Finally, this past weekend I was able to make progress and finish the head.

The partial head I purchased from eBay. It is made of foam, very strong and lightweight.
Considering I want this to be on a working bicycle, I didn't want to much weight up front.
View attachment 1351049 View attachment 1351034 View attachment 1351035

After a few hours of painting and sealing, I'm off to a good start.
View attachment 1351036 View attachment 1351037 View attachment 1351040
View attachment 1351038 View attachment 1351039

Finally, I install the custom glass eyes. - (This for me brings it all home.)
View attachment 1351044 View attachment 1351043
View attachment 1351045 View attachment 1351046

As for the other items. I was able to locate the same exact vintage large plastic crate as in the film. The crochet white blanket was easier than I thought to find as well.
So I'd say I'm more than half way done with this project as of today. But...

...it's last part of this project, I knew would kick my ass. Locating an accurate Kuwahara bike.
(Those who know this particular bike's history and model variations know what I mean).

Wish me luck y'all! ;)
This is fantastic!
Where did you get the eyes ??

Yes. These eyes were a custom order from an Etsy store called 'SteampunkDream'. I sent them a few close up photos of ET's eyes from several sources and ordered them in two different sizes.
What they do is create a new digital image of the eye and e-mail you for approval. Once The image is approved, they hand make the eyes in your requested size out of glass. These are not full round eyeballs. They are flatback domed circle cabochons.

As for mounting them, I kept it as simple as possible. I only carved out enough space in the socket to snug fit the eyes. The foam head has some strong flex to it as it took a lot of abuse from me without showing any markings or distress. The eyes are removable, but again, a tight fit. All this to avoid using any adhesives.
It worked out better than I thought. ;)

Do you remember which size you ended up using in these photos? Looks SO COOL!!!

I’m going to order these from them and would love to get the same ones. If I mention your name, do you think they’ll have record of your order?

what an incredible sculpt and a great set up! Do you happen to have the updates on this? Did you find the bike or get anything mounted? Can't wait to see how this turned out.

Do you remember which size you ended up using in these photos? Looks SO COOL!!!

I’m going to order these from them and would love to get the same ones. If I mention your name, do you think they’ll have record of your order?
When I first placed the order, I tried a few sizes but settled with 60mm. I provided several images of ET’s eyes so that it can be digitally recreated. I must have bought over a dozen sets just to get to the right size.

The maker/ seller was awesome! Now she sells it as a standard in many sizes. But worth noting, you would have to request that she makes the pupils slightly larger for you. Its a slight difference most people won’t notice or care for, but for some reason she is using eye image she made first over the approved ones.

So yes, get 60mm. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back