DVD rental restrictions?

DARTH SABER

Master Member
So my wife rented a couple of movies from one of those blockbuster rental vending machines.
So we pop the movie in the DVD player and the main menu comes up.
It says "theatrical version" or "unrated version".
So we decide to get the full treatment and go with the unrated version.
Then a window pops up and says that the DVD rental is meant for viewing the feature film only...not special features. WTH!!??

When did they start doing this crap?

About ten years ago, it's nothing new.

I would say that adding the unrated version to the menu, but then not letting you actually watch it, is pretty ***holish of them, though.. normally they remove all mention of the special features as if they don't even exist.

Ten years ago?

I've watched probably hundreds of rented movies over the past 10 years and never had an issue watching special features or any content that was on the DVD.

That's why I said it was a ******* move for them to put the feature on the disc, but deny you access. That's new, and I would file a complaint with the publisher for being a dick.

What they usually do, and have been doing for a very long time, is creating completely separate "rental" versions of the disc that simply don't have any special features on it at all, even if the retail version does.

Frankly, I couldn't really care less. The rental market is a dead horse, but companies like Blockbuster just refuse to stop beating it. I give it maybe five years and it'll just be gone.

So my wife rented a couple of movies from one of those blockbuster rental vending machines.
So we pop the movie in the DVD player and the main menu comes up.
It says "theatrical version" or "unrated version".
So we decide to get the full treatment and go with the unrated version.
Then a window pops up and says that the DVD rental is meant for viewing the feature film only...not special features. WTH!!??

But what was the NAME of the DVD you rented that had this 'feature' in it?

If you have a BluRay player you should conisder just renting off of amazon.. when they rent you the movie unrated.. its unrated!

If you have a BluRay player you should conisder just renting off of amazon.. when they rent you the movie unrated.. its unrated!

Renting is not the same as streaming, by the by. We don't do streaming because we don't want to give our internet provider an excuse to cut us off because we used up too much bandwidth. Unfortunately, that's a valid concern in this neck of the woods.

Renting is not the same as streaming, by the by. We don't do streaming because we don't want to give our internet provider an excuse to cut us off because we used up too much bandwidth. Unfortunately, that's a valid concern in this neck of the woods.

Some streaming comes with the special features.. but it is rare..

And in regards to your ISP.. ew :(

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back