Dustin Stranger Things Roast Beef Costume

Live4Kawstoomz

Hi all! Long time costumer, happy to have found this forum to discuss things with other costume lovin' folks! QUESTION about Dustin's denim vest he wears with the Roast Beef shirt. There is some kind of patch or logo on the vest....looks like maybe something space-y? Anyone know what this is? I can't get a good screen capture of it. I'm putting together a female Dustin costume for myself.

SO I managed to get a better look at it....similar to this, but with different names and instead of Discovery, it seems to say Discovering. Hm.

Attachments

• discovery patch.jpg
    discovery patch.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 624
Maybe it's a "comp"?

Like the US flag patches worn by Hawkins Police Department members: they aren't actual US flags, but a slightly modified design.

And the triangular blue Hawkins Police patches are obvious comps of the Amity Police patches in Jaws (as can be seen in the Stranger Things mood boards) right down to the gold diamond at the bottom of the patch:

nDEnJoC.jpg

GEBH62F.png

Last edited:
I bet you're right...something that was specially made up by the costume dept. I have a pal who works for NASA...I just messaged him about it to see if he knows anything I don't. But I bet you're correct.

That is the Discovery mission patch from 1985 he has on the vest. Each mission had their own designated patch that was unlike any of the preceding missions.

9906B2F1-32E2-446C-B3BD-08544AE91641.png

What’s odd is that we are told Stranger Things is set in the early 1980’s, not mid 1980’s, which would make this a goof on wardrobe of so.

Hey everyone! And welcome to the forum Live4Kawstoomz! I’m excited to see some interest in Dustin’s S3 wardrobe!

The patch actually isn’t as straight forward as it seems. There are two sizes of the Walker Garn (51D) patch, one being 5”x4” and the other 4”x3”. I’ve found a 5”x4” 51D that does share more similarities than the 4”x3”, but it’s way too big. And still, neither are an exact match to his, and both sit too large on the vest. Then we have the Baudry Garn (51E) patch. The 51E is a hair smaller than the 4”x3” 51D (and a slightly different shape) and includes the small details missing on the 51D. It looks like they combined qualities from the two patches and made the patch we see Dustin wearing. Here’s a comparison to show the differences and similarities:
6458FFBD-395E-4181-896F-43705A1AF849.jpeg

You can see that the continuous blue border, the version of the ship, the distance between the Earth and the three names on the bottom, and the distance between Bobko and the top of the flag, are all closer on the 51E. Although there are still details like the water on the Earth and the right portion of the flag on the 51E that aren’t an exact match. But essentially, if you took a 51E and replaced the bottom names with Walker and Garn, and replaced Challenger with Discovery, you would have a pretty good approximation. So that’s what I did here:
650B58D0-4626-4385-8A6A-EF9484A14760.jpeg

The problem is that the Discovery is a little too big for the 51E, and I think Dustin’s patch is still even a little smaller overall. But it is a pretty good match. I haven’t ironed this onto my vest yet because I’m hoping that someone might take a stab at replicating this exactly. (Anyone? :)) In the meantime, here’s how it looks with the rest of my Dustin getup!
A0B8C9C4-D8C1-4D8E-91D2-4FFE5DB32FE4.jpeg

I managed to identify his shorts, shoes, walkie, and vest, and got the Levi’s hat and screen accurate print of the t shirt! I also have a good chunk of other wardrobe and props from S3, (lots of Dustin!) but didn’t want to hijack this thread too much! :) Let me know if you want any info on anything!

I hope you have as much fun putting your wardrobe together as I have, and I wish you all the best!

Jonny

Last edited:
Your setup looks great! What brand is the vest and the shorts? And the walkie talkie he uses is a Maxon 49-S ;)

Thank you so much! :) I am absolutely in love with S3 and all of the wardrobe!

The vest is Brittania - and there are at least two different vests we see. You can tell because of the presence or lack of the D-ring on the bottom right. Sometimes it’s there and sometimes it’s not. Brittania made the vest in four materials - denim, suede/leather, corduroy, and twill. Only the denim and the suede/leather had the D-ring while the other two did not. Amy Parris either fabricated her own multiples or got at least one twill vest as a backup and dyed it to match the denim. I believe she did the latter, although I wonder if the pocket flaps also show a distinction.

D74E152E-B4BD-4876-B3E7-AFF70619C520.jpeg

The shorts are Target brand Goodfellow & Co. They’re the 8” Porkchop in Olive, and the hem was brought up to just below the pocket.
9CF43E55-9694-425F-A4BD-B3DB093705CD.jpeg

And the walkie is actually a Realistic TRC-500!

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
And just for fun, here’s some of Dustin’s wardrobe and props from episodes 1-3 :)

EB9A042F-304E-45F9-A552-BDF57334639A.jpeg

Correct Magic Mike II robot, Levi’s Camp Know Where shirt, and Sportif shorts

66919BFF-C067-464D-8A20-4B5FBAC066A0.jpeg

Hot Topic Pak Kat shirt and 1964 Romanov’s Dictionary

B322E976-07E6-48F7-A8F8-C5B97386CB98.jpeg

Correct Weird Al shirt and Original Penguin Cassette shirt

I also have information on other props and wardrobe from the season if anyone’s interested, just let me know!

Thanks for identifying the shorts and vest. Going to pick up the shorts. The vest will be a long shot, so probably will use something else as a stand-in until I can get the exact one.

Also, on the Walkie Talkie, the larger one Dustin and the gang use when they are in the bunker is a Realistic TRC-85 as best as I can tell.

Thanks for identifying the shorts and vest. Going to pick up the shorts. The vest will be a long shot, so probably will use something else as a stand-in until I can get the exact one.

Also, on the Walkie Talkie, the larger one Dustin and the gang use when they are in the bunker is a Realistic TRC-85 as best as I can tell.

Absolutely man! It was so fun finding them! Luckily the shorts are still attainable, and at least the vest exists! And that’s right about the TRC-85! They just repainted it and replaced the word “good” with “low”.
35BB06E2-88B8-4E70-A3E0-0EC3A78F4A04.jpeg

And Mike was using a TRC-215 when he was talking to Dustin (y)
A5A74507-3421-4F89-91F3-877586D26EA2.jpeg

Speaking of, here’s my TRC-215 along with Mike’s shirt and vest from episode one!
82425F3B-D43C-4B86-BC9A-91EF343DD7DF.jpeg

His vest is Jordache :)

Last edited:
jonnytrooper Great work on tracking down Dustin's costumes! Where did you manage to find one of the vests? :O

Another question for you (or anyone really). Has Dustin's season 3 backpack been ID'd yet?
stfy301 (806)_cropped.jpg
stfy301 (948)_cropped.jpg

stfy302 (263)_cropped.jpg
stfy302 (498)_cropped.jpg
stfy302 (1206)_cropped.jpg

In other news, if anyone needs it. Dustin's tape recorder is a Realistic Micro-15.
stfy302 (970)_cropped.jpg
stfy302 (479)_cropped.jpg

Haven't found any for sale, but there are plenty Micro-18's on eBay that look close enough.

I also don't think I'd seen it mentioned here, but Dustin's watch is a stupidly hard to find Armitron 40/6351 FM Radio Watch. Good luck tracking down one of these. Haven't seen one yet.

Hey zeeky5678, thank you so much! I got crackin’ as soon as the first look at S3 came out! The vest was just an unbelievable find after looking at hundreds and hundreds of vintage denim vests!

On the backpack, I haven’t tackled that one yet so I don’t have anything to share, but I’ll let you know if I get anywhere with it, and let me know if you do, too! And great work on the recorder and thanks for sharing! I was wondering about that one!

The watch is interesting - he did wear the Armitron like you said, but it turns out that the same exact watch was branded by at least two other companies during that time.
5A1B7692-22C4-491B-ABEC-BB605B39CA37.jpeg

Looks like they all had the exact same watch and just rebranded it for each company. That means that if you’re not concerned with it being the exact, screen accurate watch, you can keep your eyes out for a Waltham and a Medana, as well!

And while this is entirely off topic, I’m so excited about my Jonathan Byers camera that I thought I’d share! I’ve pieced together the various parts for $8-$25 a pop, and combined parts from two vintage camera straps for a screen accurate setup! Here’s a couple progress pics and the complete setup!
5100C61E-3AD5-4979-823D-5F5B73203E08.jpeg

4A3ECC64-8445-49AA-A806-73C128811FA9.jpeg

2E0133B6-4176-452E-93A6-10BC8D4DB52E.jpeg

And more on topic, Dustin’s binoculars are 7x35 Montgomery Ward if anyone’s interested! Hope you’ve all had a wonderful week!

Last edited:
On the backpack, I haven’t tackled that one yet so I don’t have anything to share, but I’ll let you know if I get anywhere with it, and let me know if you do, too!

The watch is interesting - he did wear the Armitron like you said, but it turns out that the same exact watch was branded by at least two other companies during that time.
View attachment 1044532
Looks like they all had the exact same watch and just rebranded it for each company. That means that if you’re not concerned with it being the exact, screen accurate watch, you can keep your eyes out for a Waltham and a Medana, as well!

And more on topic, Dustin’s binoculars are 7x35 Montgomery Ward if anyone’s interested! Hope you’ve all had a wonderful week!

Thanks so much for all this insight! Especially on the watches! Very helpful.

I also was trying to narrow down the binoculars as well! Thanks for that! I kept getting steered towards some very similar pairs from Tasco. Picked up the right one yesterday!

No worries on the off topic stuff. Jonathan’s camera looks great! Keep it coming! :D

As far as the bag, all I know for now is that it looks like it’s got to be a camping / hiking / military bag of some kind. What with all the pockets and the loops that he’s put batteries into (which is a great detail). I’m still looking around!

I grabbed a working Realistic Micro-18 for a close approximation to the screen recorder (Micro-15) and plan on trying to splice together the Taped message on the show and having it play back on the recorder via microcassette. I’ll let you guys know if I get anywhere with that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back