Duplicolor paint peeling problem

tijojo98

Hi guys I just want to ibow if im the onky one this thing happen to. Well my problem is that I painted my piece red and after letting it dry for 2 days I put some very low adhesive masking tape on the edges and painted the gold part. The problem is that when i removed the tape. I removed a lot of red paint too. Am I the only one having this problen with duplicolor paint ?
a69cddfd3eec7c44bac0cf15a08983ad.jpg

Where did you have it dry?

When I paint, I have a bathroom which has a dehumidifier. I hop in, paint, then leave. If you are painting metal, make sure you sand your surface first, and prime it.

When paint peels off like a thin layer of skin, it usually hasn't bonded to the surface or not completely dried.

It's hard to tell but the pic looks like the piece is covered in paper thats been painted and the paper and paint both ripped away. This may not be the case but I would swear thats what it looks like in the pic.

Did you use a primer layer under the paint?

Usually even low adhesive painters tapes need to be stuck to your pants leg or shirt to bust up some of the tack with lint. Its fine for walls and what not, but when working with fine detail like props its better to do it this way.

Another thing that can help is to warm up the tape with a hairdryer before peeling it away. It kind of "reactivates" the adhesive and allows it to pull away smoother. Like tgk asked it may come down to surface prep and type of tape used.

I had the same problem with that crap duplicolor paint when I painted my iron man helmet, and I'm experienced modeler/painter, I even used self etching primer, the primer stayed only the paint peeled off like nothing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back