Dune 2021 Shield Generator - group project?

masterjedi322

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
(Did a search but didn’t find anything)

With all the love for the new Dune movie, I’d really love a replica of the personal shield generator!

EC449036-ABFE-40D6-8FD4-FB7EBBFB308E.png

I’m just dabbling with 3D modeling, but I think I can take a crack at it!

Was also thinking of adding some basic electronics like LEDs and some sound effects of turning it on/off and maybe some motion-activated battle sounds.

Maybe make this a group project…?

Who’s in?

Sean

It's a great prop and I work in electronics, but it's awfully small for what you're considering. It can be done, but it would be very tricky with off the shelf parts. You'd have to custom design a board to fit that small package. The clash sound would require an accelerometer. It's a great project, but I'm just not sure all of that will fit in the form factor.

Agreed a great project, but you will have to tackle fitting everything into and you will to make the choice of making it a little thicker. In order to try to accommodate the needed parts to make it happen. Good luck life is full of challenges go forth and conquer.

Well that strap looks like a 50mm elastic so that should prove useful for scaling. The other thing is there looks like there’s a green 3mm led in there so if that tallies with my assumed 50mm for the strap that would tend to lock in any scaling.
I may have a go at modelling this myself unless someone else already has done a version they want to share lol.

Edit, done some initial scaling and 50mm elastic makes it way too big. However assuming the elastic is 40mm/1.5" does seem to line up with a 3mm diameter for the green spot which I think is an led. Which would make the total length 112-113mm which seems a much more sensible figure.

Last edited:
The actual bit that lights up blue/white is the rectangular area next to what looks to be a green 3mm led. On the detail pics it just looks silverish same as other parts of the body but the other in use pics show it illuminated. So they either digitally added the glow on that section or they built that area with a backlit led in there too.

Initial model, modeled it so that some of the parts can be printed as separate pieces. Left space for a 3mm green led so far but was thinking of also adding in space to back light the blue glow area too. The fasteners for the elastic are identical to some leather working rivets I have but the side you usually don't see so I modeled the holes for sized for them and some 2mm pins to hold them in place. A bit like a wrist watch strap.

Still have to consider what could fit in it beyond a coin cell to power up the led(s) but want to get the exterior done before I look at chopping bits out for some as yet unknown electronics.
Shield Generator Render v1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, got a test print done now. Going to tweak a few tolerances on the parts but after that I'll put the models up in Prusa Prints and Thingiverse for anyone who wants them.

Shield Prototype test fit.jpg

Its not turned out too bad for a first print, just wish I had a resin printer. Need to adjust some slicer settings like seam position as rear was the wrong choice for the bar graph like grid section. But hey that's why we do test prints lol.

I've put my initial solid version up on Prusa Prints PrusaPrinters and Thingiverse now Dune 2021 Shield Generator by neophyl

Many thanks to The 48th Ronin for the reference, while I saw the original twitter pics the collage was very useful.

There isn't a lot of room as its so thin but I think I can fit a 2016 coin cell in there and back light the blue power indicator. So I will be making changes to support that soon. Meanwhile a better print of the tweaked parts has now been completed. Here it is off the printer with minimal cleanup and no paint.

Shield Generator print.jpg

(its very slightly different to the posted files as Ive already started hollowing out bits. Like the silver raised details on the side so they can be done and fitted from the rear along with the led).

Just need to finish fitting the strap. Luckily I had some of the elastic already for my mando build.

Shield Generator print 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've put my initial solid version up on Prusa Prints PrusaPrinters and Thingiverse now Dune 2021 Shield Generator by neophyl

Many thanks to The 48th Ronin for the reference, while I saw the original twitter pics the collage was very useful.

There isn't a lot of room as its so thin but I think I can fit a 2016 coin cell in there and back light the blue power indicator. So I will be making changes to support that soon. Meanwhile a better print of the tweaked parts has now been completed. Here it is off the printer with minimal cleanup and no paint.

View attachment 1514243
(its very slightly different to the posted files as Ive already started hollowing out bits. Like the silver raised details on the side so they can be done and fitted from the rear along with the led).

Just need to finish fitting the strap. Luckily I had some of the elastic already for my mando build.

View attachment 1514255
Dude! Absolutely blown away by the amazing work you’ve done in just a few days! And many thanks for making the files available to everyone!

As for the electronics, I’m thinking we can use some movie magic and perhaps make the unit a little thicker so we can fit a board and battery in.

I’ll hit up a guy I know who does prop electronics.

Sean

View attachment 1514243

View attachment 1514255
This is rad, thanks so much for offering the files to everyone. Can’t wait to print my own!

great work on the modelling, i know this probably isnt the ideal set up you would want but if you want to keep the thickness true to the prop, how about housing just the board (similar size to a lightsabers pico crumble i would imagine) and then have wires run to a battery pack up your arm housed on a band like the iPod things for runner's? assuming you would wear it with costume anyway it would be hidden, and the accelerometer would still function as it is in the right place?
or you could potentially sew 2 pieces of the elastic together and make a sleeve for coin cells or some kind of small battery pack like out of those tiny Bluetooth speakers like the one punished props used in his pipboy?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back