Dune 2021: Atreides language font/dictionary?

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone found a source for the Atreides language/ font seen in the film?

Looking for a "Rosetta Stone" for the text as seen on the books, and the burial stones.

Attachments

• 20211026_163126.jpg
    20211026_163126.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 623
  • 20211026_164030.jpg
    20211026_164030.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 882

Looking for a "Rosetta Stone" for the text as seen on the books, and the burial stones.
zenix has a thread in the JY for Duke Leto's ring, & I think he's identified it as a form of Arabic.

Check the thread cause I'm probably remembering it wrong. LOL

Sorry... He's possibly identified the font, not necessarily the language.

I've been extremely fascinated by sci-fi languages in films recently, so I've also been doing some digging around this. This language appears to be Galach, the universal language of the Imperium. I'd love to replicate the Herald of the Change's scroll if I can find better reference—this Reddit thread provides a decent translation with more material around Galach.

There's also this great translation from the stillsuit diorama I found on @Duneinfo's Twitter.
FCLBZC4WEAUkJPg.png

David J. Peterson (@Dedalvs on Twitter) created at least the Chakobsa, Sardaukar, and Jessica & Paul's sign language for the film. Here is his Chakobsa orthography as well as his other work on his site. He's even got videos and audio files to demonstrate pronunciation and walk-throughs of the sign language. Really cool stuff!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that graphic translation. It's not a Rosetta, but it would fill in a few holes perhaps.
Assuming it's a literal substitution cypher/translation and not like Arabic or something. :)

The grave marker is for Pauls grandfather, Paulus Atriedes. From various twitter posts by Duneinfo I think its not just a 1 to 1 substitution as theres supposed to be thousands of symbols created for the language.

The grave marker is for Pauls grandfather, Paulus Atriedes. From various twitter posts by Duneinfo I think its not just a 1 to 1 substitution as theres supposed to be thousands of symbols created for the language.
Ok so I think it says Duke (DUC) Paulus (PALUS)

Interesting. In the context of the grave marker prop, I wonder if it's used as a separation, like a "-" or a comma or something.

Interesting. In the context of the grave marker prop, I wonder if it's used as a separation, like a "-" or a comma or something.
Totally overlooked the fact that it's smaller and vertically centered. You are correct - in that context, it's used as a period or otherwise s separating character.

And based on your font, the characters to the right of that symbol look like a year... 10059?
Upon further inspection, it appears that they're effectively subscript letters. The K you referred to probably alludes to the date on which the Old Duque died or was killed, and the two similarly configured glyphs to the right of the year stand for AG, or After Guild - a standardized year denomination under the imperium.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back