Dune 2021 Atreides dress uniform + trench coat [pic heavy]

In your avatar, the Solo pic, you look a lot like an Atreides. Will you be doing the full build?
I'll be making the long black coat (still working out what sort of material I'll use, I was going to use cotton oilcloth but I'm shopping around for something else that's shiny and isn't glue-proof so I can attach the Atreides crests to the sleeves more easily), and while Paul never had a crysknife while wearing the uniform I'd kinda like to get one of those to carry around at cons too.

Ok, I've had this finished for almost 2 months and I finally got around to taking pictures! The jacket was a real pain in the butt, probably one of the trickiest things I've made in years with all those tightly curved seams on the front, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out even if it's not 100% accurate.
IMG-4234.jpg

(No, I do not sleep on a bare mattress, I was just changing my sheets and had them in the wash while I took these!)
IMG-4166.jpg

IMG-4312.jpg

IMG-4280.jpg
IMG-4415.jpg

The shirt was quickly thrown together just by conjecture, with the body and sleeves based on the training shirt and the collar made up to look the way it should under the jacket. It's not my best work but it'll barely be visible so eh... maybe I'll make another more accurate one if we ever get to see for sure what shirts they actually wore under the dress uniforms.
IMG-4492.jpg

IMG-4493.jpg

IMG-4496.jpg

These photos make the uniform material look much lighter than it does in person under any lighting. The photos of me wearing it show the color much more accurate.
IMG-4503.jpg

IMG-4504.jpg

IMG-4497.jpg

The badges are 3d prints from Etsy, sanded and painted and with pins glued to the backs.
IMG-4502.jpg
IMG-4505.jpg
IMG-4506.jpg
IMG-4500.jpg
IMG-4507.jpg
IMG-4508.jpg

The pants are pretty basic, nothing very interesting here.
IMG-4509.jpg

I have some other projects I plan to finish up before I start on the coat (still looking for the best fabric), but I recently saw this poster that complicates it even more, with a clearly visible seam on the front of the shoulder that's nowhere to be seen on any of the coats worn in the film itself:
Paul coat shoulder seams?.png

Between this and Paul's coat seeming to have a horizontal seam across the back in one scene but not another, and Leto's not having it at all, it looks like there were definitely different versions of this coat made, and maybe they weren't sure which version to use.

Brilliant work and you do make a great stand in for him as expected. I very much liked the collar work. I have been fighting this same multiple copies issue with one of my projects. It is amazing how much we trust that they were strict about their usage of accurate and consistent props and costumes. It seems there is a common disconnect between advertising promo shots, wardrobe first looks versions (presenting to directors), and even possible multiple screen used versions. I recently came across one where the promo version was then saved as the museum display version when not even the same color as screen used. Congrats on another amazing build.

Brilliant work and you do make a great stand in for him as expected. I very much liked the collar work. I have been fighting this same multiple copies issue with one of my projects. It is amazing how much we trust that they were strict about their usage of accurate and consistent props and costumes. It seems there is a common disconnect between advertising promo shots, wardrobe first looks versions (presenting to directors), and even possible multiple screen used versions. I recently came across one where the promo version was then saved as the museum display version when not even the same color as screen used. Congrats on another amazing build.
Thank you! I've definitely encountered issues like these before but I think this is the first time I've noticed such a significant discrepancy between costume variations from the same movie.

Anyone done any further looking into what type of material the trench coat might be made of?
Paul coat 3.jpegPaul 1.jpegPaul 3.jpegPaul 5.JPGPaul coat collar straps.pngPaul coat shoulder seams?.pngPaul coat 18.JPGPaul coat 20.jpeg
I had been thinking of using the cotton oilcloth I made my (very inaccurate) Officer K coat out of years ago, which seems to have pretty much the perfect weight and texture, but the seller I bought it from seems to be out of stock:
K coat main.JPG
They have a black cotton waxwear, which has a similar sheen to it but is a bit heavier and stiffer and has a slightly rougher texture, and is much more susceptible to the highly visible distressing typical of waxed fabrics (I used the same fabric in olive for this other jacket years ago):
Waxed jacket open:back.JPG
I'm looking into this water-repellant cotton/hemp twill, but I'm worried it'll be too light and won't have quite the right texture. I've also been second-guessing whether it's supposed to be coated at all or if it's just a tight waterproof weave like modern trench coats are typically made of, so I requested a sample of this black wool gabardine too. No idea of either of those will pan out. Any opinions, especially on just whether it looks like a waxed/coated fabric or not, would be nice.

Anyone done any further looking into what type of material the trench coat might be made of?
View attachment 1602736View attachment 1602737View attachment 1602735View attachment 1602730View attachment 1602738View attachment 1602739View attachment 1602720View attachment 1602716
I had been thinking of using the cotton oilcloth I made my (very inaccurate) Officer K coat out of years ago, which seems to have pretty much the perfect weight and texture, but the seller I bought it from seems to be out of stock:
View attachment 1602740
They have a black cotton waxwear, which has a similar sheen to it but is a bit heavier and stiffer and has a slightly rougher texture, and is much more susceptible to the highly visible distressing typical of waxed fabrics (I used the same fabric in olive for this other jacket years ago):
View attachment 1602742
I'm looking into this water-repellant cotton/hemp twill, but I'm worried it'll be too light and won't have quite the right texture. I've also been second-guessing whether it's supposed to be coated at all or if it's just a tight waterproof weave like modern trench coats are typically made of, so I requested a sample of this black wool gabardine too. No idea of either of those will pan out. Any opinions, especially on just whether it looks like a waxed/coated fabric or not, would be nice.
My search only found the normal empty promises of online knockoffs. I was hoping to at least believe their list if fabric contents but when I saw these three fake reviews in reference to this very coat... I gave up
Screenshot_20220729-193128_Samsung Internet.jpg

My search only found the normal empty promises of online knockoffs. I was hoping to at least believe their list if fabric contents but when I saw these three fake reviews in reference to this very coat... I gave upView attachment 1602765
Yeah, the knockoffs just seem to list it as a 'wool blend', if they mention the fabric at all. Some of them even use images of very inaccurate, generic wool overcoats with buttons. (And you'd think they could at least bother to get the years right in their fake reviews...)

I could almost believe it's a lightweight wool coating with minimal fuzziness from some of the promo/poster shots, but in the closeups in the movie itself it's clearly something with a much smoother texture.

Oh the years were funny enough but then they used the same phrase twice and the third talked about how firmly packed it was.... it is a cloth item. No one cares that it was packed tightly.... but it is entertaining to read when they don't have an English speaking employee. I could swear that English is so complex and unregulated that it serves as its own security screen against non English speakers.

I like your assumption on the gaberdine. Right smoothness and hardiness but maybe not as classy/wealthy a weave as would have been expected but seems right, especially when seeing the stiffness of the fabric.

At this link, open the fabric identification tab: Vintage Fashion Guild : Education | History | Community

Very helpful.

View attachment 1602736View attachment 1602737View attachment 1602735View attachment 1602730View attachment 1602738View attachment 1602739View attachment 1602720View attachment 1602716
View attachment 1602740
View attachment 1602742
I don’t have any info on the dune question ( I do love the movie though ) but that K coat is fantastic! It reads like you made it- wow. Really cool!!

I don’t have any info on the dune question ( I do love the movie though ) but that K coat is fantastic! It reads like you made it- wow. Really cool!!
Thanks, despite the inaccuracy I do think it turned out well for what it is. I'm thinking about making a new accurate one now that there are so many reference photos available, but finding close enough fabric for that is going to be an even bigger challenge.

Ok, I've had this finished for almost 2 months and I finally got around to taking pictures! The jacket was a real pain in the butt, probably one of the trickiest things I've made in years with all those tightly curved seams on the front, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out even if it's not 100% accurate.
View attachment 1598162

View attachment 1598156
Wow!!! You did an AMAZING job! I just started making Paul's uniform. I bought a wool coat and was going to edit it but your fabric looks much easier to sew. Will you please share where you got the fabric from and which fabric to buy? I saw 2" gold rectangular buckles on Etsy but they take a month to ship from China. Any suggestions please? Thank you!

View attachment 1598162
(No, I do not sleep on a bare mattress, I was just changing my sheets and had them in the wash while I took these!)
View attachment 1598163
View attachment 1598160
View attachment 1598161View attachment 1598159
The shirt was quickly thrown together just by conjecture, with the body and sleeves based on the training shirt and the collar made up to look the way it should under the jacket. It's not my best work but it'll barely be visible so eh... maybe I'll make another more accurate one if we ever get to see for sure what shirts they actually wore under the dress uniforms.
View attachment 1598158
View attachment 1598157
View attachment 1598156
These photos make the uniform material look much lighter than it does in person under any lighting. The photos of me wearing it show the color much more accurate.
View attachment 1598152
View attachment 1598151
View attachment 1598155
The badges are 3d prints from Etsy, sanded and painted and with pins glued to the backs.
View attachment 1598153View attachment 1598150View attachment 1598149View attachment 1598154View attachment 1598148View attachment 1598147
The pants are pretty basic, nothing very interesting here.
View attachment 1598146
Fantastic work! Reading through everything was very helpful, thanks for being so detailed in your work. In preparation for Dune Part Two, I’m beginning on Duke Leto’s dress uniform for my husband and Jessica’s orange dress for myself. Where did you end up finding the uniform fabric? I’ve ordered a few swatches trying to find the right color + texture and so far have been unsuccessful.

Wow!!! You did an AMAZING job! I just started making Paul's uniform. I bought a wool coat and was going to edit it but your fabric looks much easier to sew. Will you please share where you got the fabric from and which fabric to buy? I saw 2" gold rectangular buckles on Etsy but they take a month to ship from China. Any suggestions please? Thank you!

Fantastic work! Reading through everything was very helpful, thanks for being so detailed in your work. In preparation for Dune Part Two, I’m beginning on Duke Leto’s dress uniform for my husband and Jessica’s orange dress for myself. Where did you end up finding the uniform fabric? I’ve ordered a few swatches trying to find the right color + texture and so far have been unsuccessful.
Hey, I'm so sorry for the late response, I've been really busy and dealing with a lot of stuff lately and hadn't come on here in a while. This is the fabric: Forest Green Italian Twill Fabric by the Yard 11 Oz 100% - Etsy
Beware that the shipping adds up with each yard so it's not quite as cheap as it looks, but it's still definitely a good buy for how nice the fabric is in-hand, and the perfect color for these uniforms. It's somewhat water-resistant too; I just bought some more to use for a trench coat for a different cosplay.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to the trench coat soonish, it's the next thing in my backlog after the Leonardo DiCaprio Aviator jacket project I just started...
While you are at it, pitch me some tailoring lessons, sites, companies, books. And don't break my heart and say you just picked it up on the fly. I have my eye on a Dryden Voss build and it will require training I don't currently have. I need to binge learn high fashion tailoring. Just hoping you can give some source names, favorite books etc. because I am impressed with the level you achieve in your projects.

While you are at it, pitch me some tailoring lessons, sites, companies, books. And don't break my heart and say you just picked it up on the fly. I have my eye on a Dryden Voss build and it will require training I don't currently have. I need to binge learn high fashion tailoring. Just hoping you can give some source names, favorite books etc. because I am impressed with the level you achieve in your projects.
Hmm... well, it'd be a bit of an exaggeration to say I 'just picked it up on the fly' but I've been mostly self-taught. My mom taught me the very basics of operating a sewing machine and following a pattern, and since then I've been mostly self-taught through years of trial and (sometimes expensive) error, aside from when I look up a tutorial to learn a specific technique. I haven't watched that many videos from any of them but here are a few channels I learned certain techniques from:
Aterlier Saison
Dami Dimension
Howtodofashion
Otherwise, I just recommend searching 'how to do [technique]' on Youtube or Google and you should find at least a couple videos or blog posts. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Has there been any progress on the trench coat? It’s a wonderful design.
I've finished it! I'm so bad at getting around to taking pictures and uploading them, I do have a few of me wearing it but I want to get some detail shots of the coat itself too before I post. I'll try to get around to it soon, hopefully this weekend? (Can't make any promises though haha)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back