DUNE (1984) Crysknife and sheath

The 48th Ronin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Perhaps you've seen the quote attributed to Leonardo da Vinci that states "Art is never finished, only abandoned."

I've abandoned quite a few prop projects over the years, and while I have revisited a couple here and there (only to abandon them again, usually), I think I can call this one done. Maybe not *done* as I might have originally intended - pretty sure this will be a one-off... while a younger, more ambitious me might have done a run of them.

Crysknife final 001.jpg Crysknife final 002.jpg

Crysknife final 003.jpg Crysknife final 004.jpg

This will be going to a good friend, who has been persistent is his pestering of me throughout the years to finish the damned thing. Hopefully he will be happy with it. (as much as I will be happy with him not pestering me about it anymore :lol:)

Anyway, here's where I started with this project, all of 11 years ago :eek: (yep, I checked the dates on the pics, and that's how long it's been!) Even earlier than that by a few years, I used to offer castings with a lineage back to a Crysknife from the production of the film.

crysknife new 2.jpg

I can't remember if it was me or this particular friend (it was probably him) who proposed a "what if..." challenge, wherein I would re-create a Crysknife sheath that was in a deleted scene from the film. It was wielded in the scene by Shadout Mapes - played by Linda Hunt - and my only real reference was a photo in a book and a few blurry screen-caps...

Shadout Mapes.jpg Mapes 1.jpg Mapes 2.jpg

So I set about sculpting a rough shape in clay on top of one of my Crysknife castings...

Crysknife clay.jpg

Which I then made a quick waste mold of, to cast a hard copy that I could refine even further...

Crysknife hard copy.jpg

When I was done with the hard copy I re-molded that, and that mold allowed me to slush cast a final hollow version of the sheath.

Crysknife slush.jpg

The next challenge was to alter the shape of the Crysknife slightly, so that it would actually fit inside the sheath nicely. The main problem was the "hump" present in the original Crysknife just forward of the metal collar separating the blade from the grip - that hump had to go, otherwise the sheath would have to be paper-thin in that spot.

Crysknife comp.jpg

My goal in doing the sheath was to make it in a way that would create a single continous contour, as it transitioned from sheath to knife, much like the original concept drawing:

proto crysknife.JPG

With a casting of the Crysknife altered to fit the sheath, I re-molded that to cast the final version... which didn't really fit all that great. (n)

Crysknife w sheath.jpg

Besides the obvious less-than-perfect alignment of the collars on the sheath and knife, there was also the conundrum of getting the sheath to stay on the knife. I didn't want to rely on a friction fit, at the risk of ruining the painted metallic finish that the collar on the knife would eventually have. I tinkered with some very thin rare earth magnets embedded in both knife and sheath, and while they did provide *some* holding power, I wasn't exactly wowed by the solution. And it was at around that point that I abandoned the project...

But now it's finished. I punched in a couple more magnets, and grafted a small piece onto the collar of the sheath to make it line up a little better with the collar on the knife. Yeah, it's not 100% perfect, but I'm happy enough with it.

And this piece of art is finished. Up yours, Leonardo!

Last edited:
Thanks gents! I know you should never say "never," so instead I guess I'll say that it's "not likely." (but you never know... :p)

I'm about to try doing the same thing, and I was wondering if Smooth-Cast Rebound 25 can be used to do a 1 piece glove mold of my sculpt of the sheath. Since a sheath is much longer than it is wide, I'm not sure if that will make it more prone to tearing when de-gloving. Any thoughts or suggestions, I'm not married to the 1 part mold idea, I could do 2.

Agreed looks fantastic and your hard work has paid off ten fold. Like many here if you ever decide to mass produce and make a run happen you have folks waiting in the wings to purchase your creative art. Many Dune fans will love the opportunity to have this beautiful artisan piece in their collection. Again fantastic and thank you for sharing it this made my day! (y)

Dune Quote- "God created Arrakis to train the faithful. One cannot go against the word of God "

So... remember when I wrote "never say never"? :p

The same friend who pestered me into finishing this project recently put a bug in my ear about doing kits... and suggested utilizing a modern technological solution to help facilitate that and make things easier - i.e. 3D scanning my patterns, using 3D modeling to generate a consistent wall thickness for the sheath, bumping the size up slightly (to correct for generational shrinkage of the production-lineage piece that I started with), and then 3D printing master patterns that would then be molded to produce the kits.

I dug out my original patterns the other day - I figured that while we're at it, we might as well re-do the original knife as well (if only to correct for the shrinkage issue).

Crysknife patterns.jpg

Don't have a time frame for all of this at the moment, but I will update if/when things start to become clearer...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back