Dummy Question - Why no Authentic Marvel Costumes?

KenKenobi2

Sr Member
I am accounting for the fact that Marvel/Disney doesn't see dollar signs in $35,000 suits of fiberglass armor, but we all know that many of us here would pay $500-$1000 for a Hawkeye tabard/shirt/quiver/pant set. Or for Black Widow's suit. Or even more for Cap's.

Your various thoughts are welcomed.

KK2

Hi Ken,

Have you not seen the new jacket on Ebay (i'm pretty sure there's a USA supplier).
I bought one (from Pakistan) - very good quality. I'm cutting the arms off & adding the arm detailing onto an under shirt (compression top).

Which supplier Widescreen? I've seen some that are all leather, some that are at least some variant of Cordura/Fabric, which is more accurate.

It remains a mystery to me. This forum and others like it are proof that there are plenty of people who can and will pay for quality, accurate costumes.

But for whatever reason, 99% of officially-licensed costumes end up looking like a cheap pair of pajamas. I took a chance on the "Disguise" TASM2 Spider-Man suit. It looked great in the preview pic, which was surprising given the history of licensed costumes. But in the end, it was VERY disappointing and reaffirmed my cynicism regarding licensed stuff. And what's so frustrating is that reasonably-accurate costumes don't necessarily have to be that much more expensive than the laughably-inaccurate ones that find their way to the market.

You have to remember in the grand scheme we're a very small niche. It wouldn't make economic sense for a company to offer high quality, accurate costumes.

You have to remember in the grand scheme we're a very small niche. It wouldn't make economic sense for a company to offer high quality, accurate costumes.

Yeah, I suppose it's easy for us to forget that most people are perfectly happy with substandard stuff...it fits a quick Halloween need and then it's set aside without another thought.

One appealing thing about the rarity of quality costumes is that when you *do* put in the time and effort of creating one yourself, you're pretty much guaranteed to stand out from the rest of the pack.

I disagree that we are too niche, case in point, the existence of Anovos. They seem to be doing well with high end costumes.

P.S. My wife is wearing the Disguise Black Widow in my avatars; I made the drop leg rig. She is wearing a TWS wig but she's coloring her own hair red now. So awesome! Gotta figure out how to add the new Widow bites, sticks and blue E wire to it. Ideas?

Which supplier Widescreen? I've seen some that are all leather, some that are at least some variant of Cordura/Fabric, which is more accurate.

The one I bought was from a supplier called 'Whitesheepleather' and it's a mix of canvas type material & leather (you can have faux leather). The seller is based in Pakistan and are very good quality (IMO).

This pic is the jacket, but the red is more maroon is real life.

The one I've seen of the American seller (theleatherwears) is all leather and doesn't look as good (IMO).

Nice. I had not see such a detailed shot. I wonder if he'd consider doing the two piece arrangement if pictures were sent to him of Renner's outfit?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

That's a small company that saw a the niche market and got rights from various companies; not various large companies fulfilling a niche.

Correct. Hmmm......Perhaps that's the way to approach Marvel. And technically, Anovos already has a major relationship with Disney via Star Wars. Perhaps someone could bring it up to Anovos?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back