Dumbledore's Memory Vial (Resin)

Pocko

I've admired the Memory Vials from Harry Potter for years, but I have neither the funds nor the skills to have one made in glass.

It occurred to me a few months ago, that if I sculpted a solid version, I could then mould dit, then cast it in clear resin. Here's some beauty shots:

IMG_0868.jpgIMG_0862.jpg

This build diary makes it seem very straightforward, but this has taken place over a number of months, each step tackled once I'd built the confidence to try it.

I used plastic tube (an old till receipt roll) with some Evergreen styrene tube, combine with some wooden beads to create the basic shape. These components were brought together with 3M Glazing Putty and Milliput Epoxy.

IMG_5578.jpgIMG_5586.jpgIMG_6471.jpg

After much sanding and shaping, I made a simple two part mould from silicone, and did a test cast with opaque resin.

IMG_6509.jpgIMG_6516.jpgIMG_6677.jpg

I took the plunge to cast in clear resin. This stuff is a nightmare to use. It seems that even in ideal casting conditions, it remains tacky for days. I reduced this as much as possible by warming in an oven (using residual heat). Once I'd got as far as I could with that, I started on the sanding and smoothing. (This removed any final tackiness). To get the glass-like finish I worked though 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 wet and dry paper, and then gave a final polish using car polishing compound.

I finally cut out a label using a decorative corner punch and a scalpel (I'd like to make a more intricate one at some point).

Attachments

• IMG_6708.jpg
    IMG_6708.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 313
Looks great! And now that you've got the mold, maybe you could consider doing a limited run? Seems like the kind of thing people would be interested in...

Damn, that casting is crazy clear. Did you use a vacuum or pressure pot to get rid of any air bubbles? What resin did you use?

Awesome job!

Thanks for the kind comments. The feedback and the final finish makes working with this resin worthwhile! I'm in no hurry to produce more, as the process is very labour intensive.

I didn't use any serious casting methods (vacuum etc). There are a couple of bubbles in the casting, but the clarity is down to the resin I think (it's not very viscous so the bubbles rise quickly)

I used Polylite 32032 Water Clear Polyester (from MB Fibreglass in the UK).

Cool project. If you can get Smooth On 202 (if it's available there) https://www.smooth-on.com/products/crystal-clear-202/ Preheat the mold, pour, in a few hours you can post cure it in an oven and that's one. Rather than spending eons on finishing you could spray it with a good thick acrylic clear and get that same transparent glossiness. Just another process to think about. You thinking about doing any other vials?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back