Dulling glossy resin parts?

ShowCraft

Sr Member
When casting in RTV, instead of sanding, is there something I can apply to glassy smooth resin parts that will dull them before priming?

Try wiping them with rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner. That worked for me, by accident.

My problem is only with Smoothon 300 resin with their RTV rubber and spray can mold release. The parts come out with an indestructible glossy sheen. I'v tried thinners, strippers, alcohol, gasoline, every strong chemical I could find around the house. Even swimming pool acid. Nothing works.

Thought there might be a product I didnt know about.

Try dusting the mold with baby powder. This will make the resin flow better, and give the part a nice matte texture.

Try dusting the mold with baby powder. This will make the resin flow better, and give the part a nice matte texture.

I usually use a powder. I was wondering if the parts could be dulled afterward by application of a chemical without powdering the molds.

Most resins are designed to resist chemicals. I don't know what else you could do besides sanding it. Maybe self etching primer?

Did you know that car paint shops sell a very fine steel wool that can be used instead of sandpaper. Very quick to key up the surface of any complicated shape. It comes in various grades.

Apply your primer inside your RTV molds then pour your resin. The resin will bond strongly to the paint (and the details will be sharper).

I've found that once resin parts are flat primed, they will be flat when finished painted with flats. I do use alternating enamels and acylic method: base colors enamel and weathering and rusting, acrylic.

Tommie

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back