DT WORKSHOP's original Romita/Ross Spider-Man build - Pics heavy !

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

D

DT WORKSHOP

Hi guys,

here's my first post as DT WORKSHOP as I can't log in with my previous account.
Some of you guys may remember me, MrBibou as I made a comic book Spider-Man suit a while ago.
For those who don't, here's a video showing it in all its glory !

Anyway, after I was done with this suit, I always wanted to get my hands back on a new one as I'd like to fix a couple of things on this version.

So now is the time, Paris official first Comic Con will debut in October so I have a few months to get it done.
I will still be making a comic inspired suit, but instead of going the McFarlane way with big bug eyes and dense webbing, I decided to make it like Romita Sr drew it back in the days.
I was re-reading some of the 60s/70s era and god, I just love the art from back then.

I'm then going for small eyes and a simplier web pattern.
My main reference is Alex Ross' art.
Just love how Spidey's suit looks, a realistic take from a teenager.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

D

DT WORKSHOP

So, I started using some blue lycra fabric I had around to make a mask.
This will be use to make the mask webbing pattern.

I then drew the shape of the eyes on paper.
Seems like a fit !

Instead of buying my lenses, I decided to make my own.
I was never really a big fan of faceshells and am lucky to have a nice round face, I guess :)
Now onto the sculpting.
I used medium plastiline clay and after a few hours, I'm ready for moulding ! Getting the two eyes to be as symmetrical as possible was a pain but I'm satisfied enough.

Hero of Justice

Very nice. I'm interested to see how you will tackle the lenses, mirrored or white and what material? Keep up the good work. :thumbsup

D

DT WORKSHOP

Thanks, that's the question that was in my mind for a while.
I did my previous eyes with a white mesh to get a comic book look but I think I'll go with the mirrored lenses this time.
In Ross' art, Spidey eyes are almost always done with a mirror tint and it's the most realistic way for a teenager to make them.

D

DT WORKSHOP

So, I finally made a mold of my lenses and casted them out in resin.
Can't see much of the details here but well.

Then, to give them a nice curve, I used a heat gun and pressed the lenses on a champagne bottle.
It was the best thing I had in my house that had a nice curve and was hard enough to resist pressure.

Like dat curve.

Went from this..

to this :

I also received a pair of really cheap sunglasses with a reflective tint I got on eBay, it was like 2$.
Wouldn't recommend using those as real sunglasses as I could cut them with a pair of scissors, but they are perfect for my lenses.
I can see through and my eye can't be seen from the other way.

After a few coats of primer and glossy paint, time for a quick mock up.

And they are done !
Coudn't be happier, they turned out even better than expected and are 100% unique !
Definitely loving the Romita feel. Romita's Spidey doesn't get enough love from the cosplayers IMO.
Let's change that ;)

D

DT WORKSHOP

Thanks mate, I'd love to see a Beetle build.
Let's bring back the old and chesy costumes :lol

D

DT WORKSHOP

Time to work on the mask.
So I started free handing the web and it quickly got messy.

I then use a gold sharpy to help me see clearer.

Quick test fit

It was a bit hard to see clear with all those lines and dark colours so I thaught ut would be easier to make a new mask.
I used some red metalic lycra, which was the fabric I originally planed to use.
Thing is, when I saw how reflective it was, I decided not to use it.
Didn't want to end up as Disco Spidey :lol

So, I first used a white corrector pen to trace the webbing.

Then made a new pattern

And got a new mask with the right colours.

MrBibou

Thanks guys :)
I just logged on another computer that had my older account in memory.
Guess I'll be switching from an account from another .

Here's some progress.
I got the prototype mask sewn to a white zentai I bought to draw my pattern on.
My mum help me with the sewing (as she's a professional seamstress) to adjust the zentai perfectly to my body.
I bought an XL and it turned out way to big but after a bit of my mums magic, it fitlike a glove.
I then hand drew the pattern on myself and boy it was hard.
I only have a bust mannequin so I got a friend of mine to get on the suit so I could drew the back.

I added lines on the blue parts of the suit, pretty much how they were lined up on TASM2 suit.
I'll use a plain blue fabric, without texture so I wanted the blue parts to be more dynamic.

I also did some re work on the mask. I wanted it to be simplier, so I removed a line so the webbing would be spaced out a bit more.

Looking good :thumbsup

Last edited:
D

DT WORKSHOP

So I finished my pattern and traced all the webbing on the red.
Onto the sewing ! (with a bit of help from my mum)

You can see the TASM2 inspired lines for the blue parts here, with and extra stitch to make the seams pop up more.

With a con-friendly crotch zipper.

MrBibou

It's been a while but here I am !
The pants fits me perfectly.

Time to test the sleeves.
Don't pay attention to my pyjamas, they're awesome I know.

Let's try it all on !

For the boots, I free handed a pattern on old fabric.

Before drawing it on the final fabric.

Hand stitched them to a pair of shoes.

I just love that slight shine.
The colors are a bit dark here as my phone takes crappy pics, but you get the idea :)

Instead of the traditional U zipper, I went with a T shaped one.
Two zippers go from the sides to the middle of my back while a third on goes from my neck to the center of my back.
It's quite tricky to put it on by myself but I found this would look the best for my pattern.

MrBibou

Coming back, time to glue the eyes in.
I used Neoprene contact glue.
Apply glue on the fabric, on the lenses and let it dry for 10mn. When it's all dry, just glue the two together and voilà !

A sneek peak of a foam Batman suit I made for a friend of mine

Nailing the Romita look !

Then, I tackle the spider emblem.
I printed my logo I draw on photoshop, cut it and used it as a pattern with a fabric pen.

Sharpie time !

Time to put it on.

My phone doesn't do justice to the bright colors of the fabric.
I'll post more pics with a better camera to show you guys how it trully looks ;)