DT-12 Greedo Blaster ft. CorellianExports / KJW

mrwax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Now that I'm getting into it, I wanted to start writing up my Greedo DT-12 build. I was fortunate enough to pick up a run of parts from Corellianexports that fit the KJW MK1 airsoft pistol. I already had some Reade tomtit parts, and also picked up some machined tone arm greeblies from Field Marshall, Imperial disks from etsy, and Ruger grips from eBay.

I always struggle to strike the balance between the practical and "ideal" ways to build something. I basically guilt myself into doing things a more difficult way, leading to a lot of started but unfinished projects, and the ones that I do finish frequently aren't more satisfying than if I had done them more simply. That being said, I decided to use aluminum black to blacken the barrel and sight rather than painting. The finish isn't as consistent as I'd like, but it is better than it appears in this picture. It looks a bit better oiled, and in the context of the blaster itself it ends up working alright.

dt-12_barrel_blackened - Copy.jpg

Most of the Ruger Mk I pictures I found had silver triggers, so I pulled the trigger assembly and sanded it to smooth it out, finished off with some 0000 steel wool. If nothing else, it feels better than the painted trigger.

dt-12_trigger_sanded - Copy.jpg

Next came attaching the really nice trigger guard extension from CorellianExports using some 5 minute epoxy.

dt-12_trigger_guard_unglued - Copy.jpg dt-12_trigger_guard_glued - Copy.jpg

I shot the tone arm greeblies, coax reducers, sight rod, and sight rod mount with some satin black Rustoleum yesterday. I also filled some seams and the gaps around the trigger guard. Once I sand those, I'll hit the plastic parts with some primer and eventually more satin black Rustoleum. The plan is to buff in some graphite to get a more metallic finish on the base gun. I'm leaving my Reade pontoons, antenna greeblies, and tomtit cylinder unpainted. I want a variety of black finishes on this thing instead of a consistent satin black. I'm hoping that the variet plus some weathering will make this thing pop.

I don't work real fast, but I'm going to try to keep making progress on this over the next week or two. I have a few more pictures to take when I'm back in town either this evening or tomorrow.

Just a little bit of work done today. The putty I put on the seems and in the cracks yesterday didn't cure well, so I picked it all off with my fingernail and replaced it with some Bondo spot putty. We'll see how this stuff takes.

dt-12_trigger_guard_puttied - Copy.jpg

I also sanded all the seems smooth, I'll go through higher grits once I'm done with the filling/sanding. Next on the list was dremeling out part of the inside of the Ruger grips so they fit on the airsoft frame. Unground (airsoft on the right):
dt-12_grips_unground - Copy.jpg
Ground (airsoft on the left):
dt-12_grips_ground - Copy.jpg

Last on the list was gluing the coax reducers together. Epoxy and a small section of bolt in the middle does the trick.
dt-12_coax_reducers - Copy.jpg

Next up will be sanding the rest of the trigger guard, hitting it with a bit of primer, then filling/sanding until it's sufficiently smooth.

Cool build. Thank you for sharing.
I’m also working on nearly the same project right now, and I have a question. You mentioned having a real Reade Tomtit pontoon greeblie. What is the overall length and width of that part?
I’m using several greeblies that I’ve 3D printed, and I have a sneaky suspicion that this one is undersized.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Cool build. Thank you for sharing.
I’m also working on nearly the same project right now, and I have a question. You mentioned having a real Reade Tomtit pontoon greeblie. What is the overall length and width of that part?
I’m using several greeblies that I’ve 3D printed, and I have a sneaky suspicion that this one is undersized.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Overall length and width according to my calipers: 1.501" x 1.032" (38.12 mm x 26.22 mm), so I'm sure the intended dimensions are 1.5" x 1".

The cast pontoon I got from CorellianExports matches this exactly, I'm only using the Reade ones because I happen to have them. Well, that, and I'm putting one of the left side too since that greeblie isn't 100% identified but the symmetry makes sense. Hopefully your printed parts match up!

Thanks for this. My print measures almost spot on for length, but only about 0.94 wide. I’ll have to try and modify one and see what happens.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back