Drive (2011)

I've been waiting for this movie for months. I'm hoping this will be like what Transporter 2 and 3 SHOULD have been.

Saw the commercials and something struck me that this didnt look
to be the usual action car crap. The trailer looks good, the reviews are very high.

Probably the best movie i have seen all year..definitely a new cult film..I love these types of films...Great cast, acting, story, music, etc etc...Music meshed in perfectly with the story and character...

music from film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8

Nothing close to the usual car crud you see these days so if you guys are expecting transporter or action packed film, then I wouldnt recommend it.

Also, the trailer gives a huge part of the movie away, so I recommend watching the short teaser trailers so you guys still have the element of surprise...the movie wasnt predictable so trailers ruin it....i went in expecting nothing and left as a happy camper...

Last edited:
The reviews I've skimmed and everything I've seen just don't look that great. Can someone sum it up a bit without being to spoileriffic?

Thanks in advance.

The reviews I've skimmed and everything I've seen just don't look that great. Can someone sum it up a bit without being to spoileriffic?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe it's not your kind of film.
If Reservoir Dogs was not your kind of thing, I wouldn't go to this.
Not that I am equating, just sort of the kind of genre.

It was right up my alley though.
Great film.

Not sure I can sum it up more then some of the reviewers.

It's noir, it's heavily stylized, it's intelligent not cerebral, it's violent in that people die not pretty, it's well acted, it's only fast paced when it needs to be, there is a quiet tension to it, I dunno. It's an antihero tale. There are not explainations for everything about this guy.

Nobody will look at Albert Brooks again the same way! LOL
I promise that.

Maybe it's not your kind of film.
If Reservoir Dogs was not your kind of thing, I wouldn't go to this.
Not that I am equating, just sort of the kind of genre.

It was right up my alley though.
Great film.

Not sure I can sum it up more then some of the reviewers.

It's noir, it's heavily stylized, it's intelligent not cerebral, it's violent in that people die not pretty, it's well acted, it's only fast paced when it needs to be, there is a quiet tension to it, I dunno. It's an antihero tale. There are not explainations for everything about this guy.

Nobody will look at Albert Brooks again the same way! LOL
I promise that.
I passed on Drive and opted for the Straw Dogs remake... it was due to some of the reviews I read and timing issues.

The review that ulitmately made me pass was the one were the reviewer thought the movie should've been called 'Stare' as apparently Ryan Gosling does a lot of staring in the movie. I dunno, I didn't see it - I still might, but I haven't read much other than he's a stunt driver and mob delivery guy - I get little else about plot.

Resevoir Dogs is my favorite Tarantino flick and something I enjoy quite a bit.

A friend of mine described it as the best Michael Mann movie not directed by Michael Mann. Not sure what to make of that...

I had a friend walk out on it. He said it was too slow paced and had a ridiculous amount of gore. I trust his opinion, but I won't be satisfied until I see it for myself.

Mrs. Agent RayBans and I saw it Saturday loved it, although she was visibly distraught by the amount of gore. Bought the soundtrack as soon as we got home.

A group of teenagers sat in front of us who I think were expecting a Transporter or Fast and the Furious type flick. They walked out saying "Worst movie I've ever seen, we should have saw Lion King yo."

If I had to describe it without giving anything away, I would say Drive is Bullit meets Taxi Driver, with the Man with No Name from the Dollars Trilogy as the lead (hence the amount of staring as mentioned in an earlier post).

Definitely a love it or hate it type of movie.

this movie was great. NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING at all. wow, so good.

I went in expecting fast and the furious..what I got was A little Taxi Driver/American Psycho. so good.

Mrs. Agent RayBans and I saw it Saturday loved it, although she was visibly distraught by the amount of gore. Bought the soundtrack as soon as we got home.

A group of teenagers sat in front of us who I think were expecting a Transporter or Fast and the Furious type flick. They walked out saying "Worst movie I've ever seen, we should have saw Lion King yo."

If I had to describe it without giving anything away, I would say Drive is Bullit meets Taxi Driver, with the Man with No Name from the Dollars Trilogy as the lead (hence the amount of staring as mentioned in an earlier post).

Exactly, couldn't have said it better. The soundtrack was phenomenal, as were the visuals. I was especially surprised by the ending. Not what I was expecting, especially after the mixed reviews. But awesome nonetheless.

Ha! if teens are walking out because they expected fast and furious popcorn crap. I think that speaks volumes how great this flick is! LOL

This must be a remake of the excellent 1978 Ryan O'Neill, Bruce Dern flick The Driver. See this film if you ever have the chance. It's great.

The mixed reviews on this thing... with a great deal of the good reviews giving me mixed messages, make me somewhat glad I passed on it. Depending on new releases this weekend, I still may see it, but it's on the backburner for now.

I thought there would be more car chases, it's more of a straight crime tale than what I expected. Ryan Gosling plays a really slow character. It feels like a '70s action movie, that was the first thing I said to my date after it was over. I thought it was entertaining, but I'd never say the acting was good. Definitely a cult film.

When I saw the trailers, I thought it might be a remake of The Driver. It wasn't, though his rules felt like an homage to The Driver. I thought The Driver was far better.

Bryan Cranston was good. Ron Perlman looked so much like an ape, his tough guy role was good. The guy that played Standard Gabriel was really good. I'd say, the best thing about this movie, the characters don't feel all Hollywood.

The mixed reviews on this thing... with a great deal of the good reviews giving me mixed messages, make me somewhat glad I passed on it. Depending on new releases this weekend, I still may see it, but it's on the backburner for now.

On RT:

Drive - 93%

Straw Dogs - 38%

:confused

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back