Dredd X 2

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by p00k1333, Jul 20, 2015.

1. p00k1333

p00k1333 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Getting an early start on Halloween/Comic Con this year. I was hoping to do one of the Farscape costumes I've been planning for so long, but my GF saw me pouring over some Dredd 3D pics. And thus, the deciding vote was cast. So now I'm making two Judge suits, male and female.
    IMG_2990.jpg
    I used the pep file from Dung0Beetle and Blaxmyth. My GF's helmet was the first size test I put together. I got lucky and it fit her just right. I had to increase the size of my helmet a few percent because of my huge noggin.

IMG_3017.jpg
    This test pep was the result of a massive miscalculation, but it looked so ridiculous, I had to finish it anyway. Dredd/Spaceballs crossover anyone?

IMG_3019.jpg
    Lots of fiberglass/rondo/Bondo/primer and sanding later - more Bondo to create the raised edges. I masked the areas off with about 8 layers of masking tape to create the thickness I wanted and spread Bondo over the exposed area. Worked like a charm!

IMG_3044.jpg
    Lick o' paint!

IMG_3091.jpg
    Badge'd and visor'd. Now I just need to pad and weather them.

Been working on a lot of the accessories - still building myself up to tackle the sewing of the pants and jacket.

2. gothic

gothic Sr Member

helmets look great, shame the other 112 people who viewed didn't say anything :facepalm

3. p00k1333

LOL - as long as someone's looking and at least entertained by the thread!

Here are a few more bits

IMG_3028.jpg
    I found a vitamin bottle that was the right diameter, cut a couple slices out of it for a rough mold, and packed 'em with bondo. Bondo Biscuits! Then drill the holes, carve the lines and, voila, door breaching mines.

IMG_2998.jpg
    What can you do with a ping pong ball and some epoxy putty?

IMG_3029.jpg
    Flash bangs!

IMG_3092.jpg
    It was a bit heavy, so I made a quick mold and hollow cast them.
    I'm trying to keep as much weight off of the duty belt as possible.

4. cavedwellar

cavedwellar Sr Member

You are kill in' it!
    Those helmets are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

Very nice 'his and hers' helmets.;).......the smaller one looks like a kids helmet, but I s'pose women do have small brains:lol....KIDDING:rolleyes...seriously kidding, I love my woman....she drove me to drink......every night she drives me to the liquor store....:lol....

I sold my Dredd Helmet before I had a chance to do the raised edges. I've since learned the best tape is double sided foam tape as it's the perfect thickness....again great job on the pep files.

6. p00k1333

I was a bit afraid to use the double sided foam tape as I use it a lot at work. It's so sticky, I've seen it lift the paint off of a car, so I was worried about what it would to to the various layers of bondo and primer.

Couple more bits -

IMG_3094.jpg
    I made a pattern from detailed pics posted by Art Andrews. Yep, that's layered pieces of paint paddles!

IMG_3095.jpg
    Quick Cuffs!

IMG_3097.jpg
    A heavily modified airsoft Glock magazine. The bullet is cast from some 9mm dummy rounds.

IMG_3098.jpg
    Hollow cast, foam filled and painted. Gotta dull that black - it's way too shiny. I had to cast a few extra loose rounds 'cause they look so good!

IMG_3099.jpg
    Lots of ammo.

oldhope001 likes this.
  7. Blaxmyth

Blaxmyth Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! Superb results! I get a real thrill every time someone posts about this pep. Thanks so much to Dung0Beetle for letting me tinker with his file. That final picture of the two helmets is magic.

8. Lemna

Lemna New Member

Looks good.

I would love to see the oversized helmet on a child in full Dredd gear. It would make a real Life Deformed/Bobblehead Dredd.

Thanks for sharing your work,

L~

9. p00k1333

Thanks for posting the file Blaxmyth! I had intended to scratchbuild the helmets and the pep saved me a lot of time.

Got some badges done -

IMG_3093.jpg
    Created a layered blank version from scrap mat board. Cast and added the name with letters cut from more mat board

IMG_3102.jpg
    They painted up nicely. A bit rough, but I think it captures the roughness of cast brass.

TheNightRider likes this.
  10. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that is a fantastic build, the airsoft mag idea and ping pong balls are wonderful.

11. p00k1333

I had to break down and buy the knife. I thought about making one, but I found it at a good price and the texture on the grip would have been hard to replicate.

IMG_3103.jpg
    Made a 2-part mold and cast a couple Con-safe ones. The one on the right is the real one.

12. p00k1333

Gas Grenades!

IMG_2992.JPG
    The main body of the grenade is a section of 1.25" dowel. The trigger cap is from a broken headlight socket off of a truck with bits of wooden stir-stick. The spoon is made entirely of little bits of stir-sticks shaped and glued together. Thanks to Studio Creations for the blueprint!

IMG_3088.JPG
    Hollow-cast and foam-filled to stay with the idea of low weight on the duty belt. Add a 1" split keyring and a cotter pin (glued in place) and they're about done. They're still clean here - weathering will come later.

Blaxmyth likes this.
  13. p00k1333

Mag holders (and first time working with Kydex)!
    IMG_3128.jpg

I first tried forming the Kydex by hand over a block with ok results, but I wasn't satisfied with the look. It was a bit too rough.

IMG_3134.jpg IMG_3139.jpg

So, I created some fairly detailed forming blocks and after a lot of tweaking and determining the order in which to create the folds ...

IMG_3143.jpg

I got some pretty decent results! They look a bit oversized, but I'm not sure if the holders are too big or the airsoft mags are too small. I'm pretty happy with 'em.

oldhope001 likes this.
  14. p00k1333

Picked up a couple belt buckle castings. I intended to make them myself, but I thought I had a good deal. I thought they were going to be cold cast brass, but they were just painted resin. I removed the belt buckle hardware and thickened them up with epoxy putty and added some heavier hardware. The putty allowed me to reinforce the beak, which looked as if it would get snapped off quickly. Repainted with iridescent copper and iridescent bronze Golden acrylic.

IMG_3160.JPG IMG_3090.JPG

Randy13 likes this.
  15. p00k1333

Buckles and Boots!

IMG_3157.jpg IMG_3161.jpg IMG_3177.jpg
    Layered mat board glued together, primed and cleaned up. Molded and cast and they came out better than I expected. Gotta cast a bunch more.

IMG_3165.jpg IMG_3166.jpg IMG_3167.jpg IMG_3176.jpg
    Shin guards made from more layered mat board - heels and toes made from various thicknesses of foam - and all attached to some motocross boots obtained from eBay.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  16. cavedwellar

cavedwellar Sr Member

I'm working on the same thing now. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Did you go with a best guess measurement on the shins, or did you find the dimensions somewhere?

17. p00k1333

I really just eyed it up based on the measurements of the boots I bought. I think now that I made the front plate a bit too wide. I also had to make the attachment points asymmetrical to fit the existing straps - they were vastly different on each set. Here are symmetrical versions of the templates I came up with - I doubt they'll work "as is". You'll have to re-size them to fit and don't forget to check the strap placement!
    Shinguard diagram symmetrical.jpg Heel and Toe diagram.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  18. p00k1333

I guess while I'm at it, here are the diagrams for the cobra buckles. Each layer was about 1.5mm thick.

Large Cobra Buckle diagram.jpg Small Cobra Buckle diagram.jpg

19. p00k1333

Oops! I forgot the trim pieces for the shin guard. The top and bottom pieces overlap the gussets to strengthen the join. I cut the strap retainers out of some tough plastic (actually the wheel well from a truck).
    Strap Retainers diagram.jpg Shinguard trim diagram.jpg

20. p00k1333

I have pouches and holders and loops!
    IMG_3178.JPG IMG_3180.JPG
    Took a while to stitch the flashbang holder without visible stitching. I dyed the leather black and painted the green bits by rag-rolling with two different shades of green. The duty belt's getting full!

spacedog likes this.
  21. p00k1333

Here are my diagrams for the breaching mine pouch, the flashbang holder, and the zipcuff loop. These were done by eye from screencaps, promotional pics, and auction pics, so may not be 100% accurate. I tried to make them a little cleaner and easier to use than the last ones (I'll go back and clean those up too).

Breaching Mine pouch diagram.jpg Zipcuff loop.jpg Flashbang holder diagram.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  22. p00k1333

Gas grenade holders are done.

IMG_3186.jpg IMG_3188.jpg IMG_3189.jpg

My fingers hurt from hand stitching leather. About halfway through, I realized I was supposed to punch the holes first. Sometimes the obvious eludes.
    Here's the diagram -

Gas Grenade holder diagram.jpg

23. cavedwellar

cavedwellar Sr Member

Fantastic work, and thanks for sharing.

24. p00k1333

Thanks cavedweller - gonna try to post all my diagrams and patterns as I go. (Still have to do the same with last year's Jaffa armor!)

Working on the medikit gadgets.

IMG_3202.jpg
    Chopped up some cheap mechanical pencils and added sewing needles and a clear cap (from mechanical pencil eraser refills) to make the hypos.

IMG_3212.jpg
    Picked up these scissors from Amazon.

IMG_3205.jpg IMG_3207.jpg
    Carved up some PVC pipe for the foam applicators.

IMG_3211.jpg
    Carved up some more of the same PVC pipe (ends filled with bondo) to make the lancets.

Still working with the suture stapler and the pouch.

25. p00k1333

Finally - another update! I was hoping to have this for Halloween, but it may not happen.

IMG_3206.jpg IMG_3216.JPG
    More layered mat board and some spray-on texture for the staplers. Seen from the side, they look ok, but I'm fairly sure they need to be a bit thicker.

IMG_3210.jpg IMG_3213.JPG IMG_3214.JPG
    I wanted the medikit pouch to be a bit stiffer, so I made it from more Kydex. Had to make a couple more forms and used a ton of superglue for the hinges, but they seem to work pretty well.

IMG_3222.JPG IMG_3223.JPG IMG_3224.JPG
    Here they are painted and loaded up.

tdb68, spacedog and Dtrasler like this.
  26. gothic

gothic Sr Member

love all the detail, the medical kit looks great

27. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

Very nice work...love the scratch building element.....well done;)

28. p00k1333

Thanks for the comments!
    Doing a lot of sewing lately, but I've been working on these on my lunch hour at work.

IMG_3233.JPG
    That's a cut up toy Glock 26 pistol, some resin bullets, a piece of PVC pipe, and over 220 pieces of mat board glued together into 19 parts. I'm hoping to assemble them over the next few days (I have parts for two Lawgivers). Halloween is getting close, so I won't be able to clean these up as much as I'd like, but I may do more finishing work on them before Comic Con New Orleans.
    The templates are based on the Planet Replicas files.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    STEALTH likes this.
  29. p00k1333

These went together really fast!

IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3239.JPG

Not exactly the level of quality I was wanting, but they'll do for Halloween. I have experience on how the Lawgiver goes together now, so when I get time I'll build up a good one for display.

Dtrasler likes this.
  30. p00k1333

We have male and female pants!

IMG_3254.JPG IMG_3255.JPG IMG_3256.JPG IMG_3257.JPG
    The most breathable faux leather and faux suede I could find and a few vinyl parts.
    I had to abandon the idea of sewing the jackets for now, and I ordered some cheap faux leather jackets from Amazon. Those should work for Halloween.
    I had to stop posting the diagrams for now so I can concentrate on the build. I still intend to post 'em, don't worry!

31. p00k1333

As you might guess, I missed my Halloween deadline. I'm still working hard on the costumes though. My deadline is now for Comic Con New Orleans (January 8-10), so I should beat this one.

32. johnojodo

johnojodo Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice build, love the med kit and leather work.

33. Dtrasler

Dtrasler Well-Known Member

This build is utterly awe-inspiring. The level of detail, and the skill involved? I have to make an extra special hat, just so I can take it off in respect.

Drokkin' amazing.

34. p00k1333

Thanks all! I'm still working hard on this project.

IMG_3296.JPG
    Here's one of the jackets I picked up. It has the correct type of collar, ribbing at the elbows and sides, and caps on the shoulders.

IMG_3297.JPG IMG_3298.JPG
    These vests are kicking my butt. Almost done though. The plastic I had for the shoulders didn't work out, so I ordered some black sintra for the base. Hoping to sculpt the designs on them with layered foam .

35. p00k1333

Gloves!

IMG_3301.jpg
    These are O'Neal Butch Carbon Fiber gloves. I think they're the gloves which donated their knuckles and finger bits to the screen used Dredd gloves. I stripped off the original velcro wrist strap, sewed some plastic ridges across the back of the hand, and added the cuffs with a new velcro strap.

36. johnojodo

johnojodo Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Keep going p00k its looking good buddy

37. p00k1333

Left shoulders are done!

IMG_3319.jpg
    That's a solid base of black sintra, a thin layer of craft foam, and two sculpted layers of 5mm exercise mat (only one layer of 5mm for the lowers). A coating of black Plasti-dip and dry-brushing with Golden's Iridescent Gold Deep.

38. p00k1333

Both shoulder sets are done!

IMG_3330.JPG

Martini Racing likes this.
  39. Lax69

Lax69 New Member

Amazing work. Can you recreate the medi kit instruments and sell for me ?

40. p00k1333

Vests are complete - finally!

IMG_3333.jpg IMG_3332.jpg
    Hand sewing all those plates is a pain. There are a lot of different straps and elastic in there. I lost count how many times I sewed a plate on, turned the vest over, and I had unknowingly sewn right through a strap.

41. p00k1333

Knees and elbows ...

IMG_3334.jpg

42. cakira21

cakira21 New Member

Those came out Nice!!! I hadn't had a chance to see the should sets since you finished them. The templates had looked really awesome when you showed them to me at the shop the other day. Even though these costumes are a different part of that universe, it kinda makes me want to make the food recycling machine that Rob Schneider gets caught in so I have a reason to walk around cover in spaghetti noodles, and i can just repeat "I am the Law," all day in worst possible Stallone accent that I can muster.

43. p00k1333

So ...
    I missed my second deadline. ComicCon was upon me and I still had the strapping on the holsters, the trimming and punching of the belt, and the padding of the helmets unfinished. I really would have liked to weather it first too.
    (Sigh)
    I'm still going to finish the costumes for next Halloween/ComicCon. I'd really like to re-do the body plates on the vest - I don't think they would have lasted an hour in use. And I'm still cleaning up all the diagrams and drawings I created to post here for everyone to use. :)

44. Judderman

Judderman New Member

Don't be disheartened, it just means you have even more time to make it perfect and when it is finished you'll have even more time to start the next project.
    I can't wait to see the diagrams; Dredd is my first project and I need all the guidance I can get!

45. gothic

gothic Sr Member

take your time, remember what happened when you rushed your iron man costume last year.

funny-cosplay-costumes-3.png

but seriously when its right its ready

46. p00k1333

LOL - Thanks Gothic
    Judderman - here are diagrams for most of the Medikit stuff! I think they explain themselves, but if I need to elaborate anywhere, let me know.

Suture Stapler diagram3.png Suture Stapler diagram2.png Suture Stapler diagram1.png Medikit pouch diagram2.png medikit elastic boards diagram.png Injector:Lancet diagram.png Foam applicator diagram.png Medikit pouch diagram1.png

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    tdb68 and Martini Racing like this.
  47. Judderman

Judderman New Member

*Gasp*
    Beautiful...

48. silkscreener

silkscreener Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is fricken awesome, law giver looks great!

49. p00k1333

Currently working on a pdf of the build diagrams for the Lawgiver. It's at 90 pages. Since I used the Planet Replicas stl files, which are sold as "for private use only", would this be a breach of that agreement? I rebuilt those computer models from scratch, modified and simplified them, and then split them up into layers to build it from the load of mat board I had on hand. I don't want to make Planet Replicas angry, since they were good enough to offer these files to the community. What does the forum think?

-- I got it down to 67 pages by packing the graphics a bit tighter! :) --

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  50. Judderman

Judderman New Member

I'm not entirely sure. What do you mean exactly by "used the Planet Replicas stl files"? If it's their files that are just modified then I imagine it is a breach of the agreement.