Dredd (Post-release)

I'm late for the game, but I was also anxious about how Dredd would be. I liked it!
It was serious, dark (I know, this word should be banned, forbidden, buried and burned), has a very believable enviroment with all the old cars. Dredd had some humor and I never believed he could have some heart for Anderson. What I miss is the caricatured violence, that never was made so clear.

I have watched this movie about 20 times in the past month and a half. I bought the 3d blu ray with both versions on it and I upgraded to 3d just to see this movie. It was worth it. I'm working on completeing my Dredd costume for a con this weekend. I hope the work this past month pays off. Here's hoping!

Dredd sequel on its way - but not as a movie

Friday, 12 April 2013

Last year's Dredd was a bit of an underground hit among movie goers. Despite some very positive 4* reviews (including one from our own Luke Owen), the film failed to attract an audience at the cinema. However, the film gained a massive surge in popularity through its DVD release which has had a lot of fans clamouring for a sequel.

Sadly it's been a rough road for a possible Dredd sequel with distributors unwilling to put money into the project and a Kickstarter campaign causing too many legal issues.

But there is some good news - Dredd will be getting a sequel - in comic book form.

2000AD has released a teaser poster (via IGN) for a book released this September, which seems to suggest that it will follow on from the events of the movie.

This might not be a permanent solution and should a massive amount of money come into the project we may still see a cinematic Dredd sequel (we wouldn't count on it), but this is a good stop gap for the time being.

Maybe better than nothing but still lame.
These movie studios focus too much on box office numbers and are blind to see how much forward momentum and popularity this flick had on home video.

While I know a lot of people that liked the film, I tend to hang out with like-minded people, so we all generally like the same thing. While there might seem to be a big following for the film on home video, I think it's probably a lot smaller than we think it is. I'm not sure where we can find numbers and stats for home video sales to prove it one way or another.

I think this one's already relegated to "cult" status, with a small but rabid fanbase, while everyone else has either never heard of it or just doesn't care.

I'd love to see a sequel (and again in 3D, too), I'm just not holding my breath.

Okay so I'm watching this on Netflix now and please explain to me why this movie has the following it does? It's like the SyFy channel said let's combine Robocop and Xmen and throw in some Matrixie effects. My god this is awful. It is funny to watch Karl pout through every scene.

I guess you found it dreadful?

Kevin

oEQ9fHs.jpg

I thought it was great. Urban is an excellent actor. He was great in LOTR, Dredd, and he is a great Bones in Star Trek.

I hope they make a sequel to Dredd.

I didn't even put it together that he was in LOTR until you said that. Mind blown.

I agree with him being a great actor. Just felt like he didn't do any acting in this film. There was no one or thing to care about. It was like they dropped you in the middle of a movie, explosion explosion explosion, roll credits.

I didn't even put it together that he was in LOTR until you said that. Mind blown.

I agree with him being a great actor. Just felt like he didn't do any acting in this film. There was no one or thing to care about. It was like they dropped you in the middle of a movie, explosion explosion explosion, roll credits.

I do think they could've done more to sell the post-apocalyptic nature of the world, and explain the role of the judges in that society. In that sense, yeah, they dropped you in, and then it's lots of action...and that's it. For those who have some familiarity with the source material, though, this was a TERRIFIC representation of it on film. Likewise, if you know the source material, Urban's portrayal was dead-on accurate.

I'd hope a sequel would perhaps go into a bit more detail on the society itself and how it operates, rather than JUST being about Dredd kicking ass.

For those who have some familiarity with the source material, though, this was a TERRIFIC representation of it on film. Likewise, if you know the source material, Urban's portrayal was dead-on accurate.

I was more of less unfamiliar with Judge Dredd (other than the '95 film) before seeing Dredd3D. I basically knew who the Judges were, and that Dredd never removes his helmet. Urban's performance prompted me to buy the compilation graphic novel "Death Lives" (all the Judge Death tales from 2000 AD). And I agree that Urban pretty much nailed what I envision Dredd to be as a live performance.

I'd hope a sequel would perhaps go into a bit more detail on the society itself and how it operates, rather than JUST being about Dredd kicking ass.

Agreed. Dredd3D barely scratched the surface when it comes to the world of Judge Dredd. I think that was the right move in this day and age when even "fantasy" characters/movies have to be a little more grounded in reality.

(I might be slammed for this) however for me the '95 Stallone film seeemed to portray the world of Megacity One closer to the comic than Dredd3D. Especially the satirical humour. The uniform looked right out of the comic (helmet excluded), and "Mean Machine" looked dead on. ;)

Speaking of which, I think the Angel Gang could work in the next Dredd film, but I'm not so sure the ultra-supernatural Dark Judges would. Dredd3D has established itself as a "not too distant" future (the likes of Mad Max), with a hint of fantasy (Judge Anderson's psychic abilities). The Dark Judges would throw the audience into the deep end of the supernatural side of Judge Dredd.

I mean "I" would like to see how the Dark Judges are handled; I'm just not sure how that would work in the "realistic" world of Dredd3D.

Definitely would like to see an expansion of what life in Megacity One is like.

Kevin

Agreed. Dredd3D barely scratched the surface when it comes to the world of Judge Dredd. I think that was the right move in this day and age when even "fantasy" characters/movies have to be a little more grounded in reality.

(I might be slammed for this) however for me the '95 Stallone film seeemed to portray the world of Megacity One closer to the comic than Dredd3D. Especially the satirical humour. The uniform looked right out of the comic (helmet excluded), and "Mean Machine" looked dead on. ;)

Based on what I've read, yeah, I agree. I'm also not entirely sure the satirical humor will work in this series. Or really in any film version. I don't think audiences will accept it.

Speaking of which, I think the Angel Gang could work in the next Dredd film, but I'm not so sure the ultra-supernatural Dark Judges would. Dredd3D has established itself as a "not too distant" future (the likes of Mad Max), with a hint of fantasy (Judge Anderson's psychic abilities). The Dark Judges would throw the audience into the deep end of the supernatural side of Judge Dredd.

I mean "I" would like to see how the Dark Judges are handled; I'm just not sure how that would work in the "realistic" world of Dredd3D.

Definitely agree, based on what I've seen of them. Many of the fans seem to love the idea of Judge Death, but I think it'd just be too campy and goofy for this film franchise. The Angel Gang, however, could be done in a more serious fashion and be a legitimate threat. That said, I question whether audiences would accept such "small potatoes" villains. I haven't read the Block Mania and Apocalypse War storylines, but the brief Wiki descriptions sound like they'd make for an excellent second and third film, respectively, while simultaneously giving audiences more of a sense of Dredd's world.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back