Dredd (2012) Lawgiver Defined Thread!

Jack T Chance

Sr Member
As some of you are no doubt aware, in September, 2012, we will see the debut of the new movie Dredd, starring Karl Urban as the Ultimate Lawman, Street Judge Joe Dredd! :cool

As is to be expected, this new movie adaptation of one of the UK's most popular comic books will feature a brand new prop design for Dredd's Lawgiver sidearm!

This was the first image the world was shown of Karl Urban as Dredd, wielding his famous handgun:

Today, I just found images from the next issue of Empire Magazine, giving us a little bit better look at the costume and prop designs from the movie. Here's the relevant images, the ones that show the Lawgiver:

dredd-empire-magazine-cover-01.jpg

dredd-movie-image-magazine-scan-karl-urban-02.jpg

dredd-movie-image-magazine-scan-karl-urban-03.jpg

And then, while searching for a particular image from the comic, I accidentally stumbled upon this image, which was on an obscure blog I'd never heard of...

Dredd_movie_production_photos_23.jpg

I'm guessing the ones labelled "His" are for Urban and/or other actors portraying male Street Judges, and I'm guessing the ones labelled "Hers" are for Olivia Thirlby, who is playing Judge Anderson... and who also wields an impressive looking rifle in the one image released of her so far...

dredd-movie-image-magazine-scan-olivia-thirlby-01.jpg

So far, I like the new Lawgiver! Looks more like the Lawgiver Mark II from the comic! :cool:thumbsup

Definitely one of the Glocks.

The 'impressive-looking rifle', isn't that just an MP5?

Interesting how the Lawgiver muzzle is longer in some photos than others. Could mean there's an attachment like a suppressor... or it extends like in the first film (or it's just a mistake). ;)

I had a feeling there was a semi auto under all that dressing when I saw these photos over in AICN this morning. The photo of him kicking made me wonder if it wasn't a socom USP hidden in there.

Yeah, that rifle is a submachine gun. You got it right. An H&K MP-5 to my eyes as well.

I know this is a thread about Dredd's Lawgiver but I can't help myself. From the pics I can see now I don't think I'm going to like this movie much. I'd have preferred they got Stallone back as "Ol' Stoney Face" (as long as they never showed his face) but I did like the helmet and armour better in the first movie though. The helmet looks oversized on Urban.

I know this is a thread about Dredd's Lawgiver but I can't help myself. From the pics I can see now I don't think I'm going to like this movie much. I'd have preferred they got Stallone back as "Ol' Stoney Face" (as long as they never showed his face) but I did like the helmet and armour better in the first movie though. The helmet looks oversized on Urban.
Well, that's always going to be a matter of personal preference.

I find it rather ironic that Batman's costume can be redesigned for every movie without too much flack, unless it has the dreaded "Batnipples", but let the makers of the new movie redesign the Street Judge uniforms by going back to the original inspirations (i.e. biker leathers, Frankenstein from the movie Death Race 2000, Mad Max) and the actual concept of what that uniform does, and all hell breaks loose! :rolleyes

Seriously, look at the art from the earliest issues, look at how the Street Judge uniforms looked in the early days...

EzquerraDredd.jpg

Massimo-Dredd.jpg

judgedredd_restrfiles1.jpg

judgedredd05sy5.jpg

judge_dred3.jpg

JudgeDreddStatueofJudgement.jpg

judge-dredd-18.jpg

And realize that was drawn almost 35 years ago. Look at what's happened in the last 3 decades in terms of the evolution of personal body armor, both for military & law enforcement types, AND body armor worn by motorcyclists. And realize that a Street Judge's uniform has to function as BOTH: It has to protect them while riding their Lawmaster motorcycle, AND protect them against attacks by perps! Look at it that way and the new costume design makes a hell of a lot of sense... and it's also an excellent adaptation of the uniforms seen in the earliest issues of the book. And pay attention to the key word there: Adaptation. It has to be ADAPTED to work in a live-action movie, and to look like it could work in the real world. And to me, the uniforms in this movie do that quite nicely. :cool

jack, you present a good case. but i am not digging the costume at all.

i think i will go watch rise of the planet of the apes instead and wait for this one to come out on DVD. that is not saying much though, i might go to the movies about every 2 years. LOL~
i just hope the story line rocks.

jack, you present a good case. but i am not digging the costume at all.

i think i will go watch rise of the planet of the apes instead and wait for this one to come out on DVD. that is not saying much though, i might go to the movies about every 2 years. LOL~
i just hope the story line rocks.
Like I said, it's personal preference. I'm sure there are those that HATE the Batman costumes in the Batman movies made by Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan! I think they're INSANE, but I also know they're out there! ;)

As for the new PotA movie, I'm the opposite of you... that movie will wait for a DVD rental at Redbox, and Dredd I'll pay to see on the big screen! :p

Now, back on topic... I'm very happy to see that the new movie's Lawgiver has been designed to look more like the comic's Lawgiver Mark II:

Lawgiver-mkii.jpg

I just wish the grip was a little more ergonomic like in the comic. And I also wish it had a Justice Dept Eagle on it somewhere. As of yet, I haven't seen that detail anywhere on the guns. But those are very minor complaints.

I saw the empire magazine scan over on AICN as well, not sure that I'm digging the helmet, the rest of the costume I can get with since it is a fair mixture of the originals. The helmet is a bit 'bobblehead' looking on Urban in that picture. Maybe its the 'who farted' look that is killing me, I dont know. Hopefully they do the movie right though! I'll still go check it out!

I like the way the new suit is closer to th comic (I forsee a certain bike costume being made of this soon ;) ) I don't like the gun much as it looks too much like a converted gun rarer than an original design. Overall I still like the look of the suit, gun and bike from the first film most.

Not to derail, but a bit of nerd history, sparked by the old comic illustrations: Back in the day (er, mid-eighties), Citadel Miniatures made lead/pewter models for the Dredd RPG, as well as the Rogue Trooper RPG. If you play Warhammer 40,000 or Necromunda, these Judge miniatures survive as 'Adeptus Arbites', and the fluff for these units is EXTREMELY Dredd-derived.

Yeah the handle is of a Glock 17 because I used to own one. Of course it could be one of any of the full frame Glock's. Would be awesome if someone here was able to make a kit to go over a functional Glock even though it would be hard considering it would have to withstand the recoil.

They're using a Co2 cartridge on that pistol to give the blowback effect looks like. I hope no kids think they're actually firing a blank that close to an actor's head. They're still lethal even at that range. D:

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back