Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build

If you're building your own there's a new code build last night that has a lot of improvements and takes care of the last identified bugs. I hold my breath but this may be the final!

If you are building your own and have any feedback or requests on the function or design please post here, always looking to improve!

Amazing build and documentation! I'm thinking Im going to get started on this soon and I have created a google sheet w/ links to all of the items noted in the materials list. Hopefully will be helpful to others out there. Will be updating this with screws/other hardware as well in the future, probably.

That's awesome! If you'd like I have a parts sheet that I use to update the github page, I can paste it all into your doc. I requested access. A lot of those parts, like the 7 segment LED, you can buy off Aliexpress much cheaper. I've also been rolling around selling kits for these if there's any interest, I can get the parts much cheaper in bulk off Alibaba.

Toy Traders, #12 from the run thread, has offered to let me film their build to get the videos done faster. No exact timeline yet since I want the flexibility to get the run done properly without cutting corners, but it is coming and I'd be happy to help with any questions until they're done. You can also join the Props3D Discord if you want to back and forth your build progress and any ideas.

ScreenShot Tool -20221123102131.png

That's awesome! If you'd like I have a parts sheet that I use to update the github page, I can paste it all into your doc. I requested access. A lot of those parts, like the 7 segment LED, you can buy off Aliexpress much cheaper. I've also been rolling around selling kits for these if there's any interest, I can get the parts much cheaper in bulk off Alibaba.

Toy Traders, #12 from the run thread, has offered to let me film their build to get the videos done faster. No exact timeline yet since I want the flexibility to get the run done properly without cutting corners, but it is coming and I'd be happy to help with any questions until they're done. You can also join the Props3D Discord if you want to back and forth your build progress and any ideas.
Amazing, Chris, thank you so much! You are 100% right about aliexpress-- I am finding much cheaper prices there. I don't think I've ever ordered anything from there and have always just heard stories about it taking weeks to months to arrive, but for those savings I'm willing to give it a shot....

For anyone else who happens to click into the sheet, I updated the permissions to "Commenter"-- if you happen to find a better price than I did, let me know and I will update the sheet as needed!

Last edited:
I've used both, to be honest I've never had an issue using the other brands, the part numbers match on the chips so they're the same thing functionally. Just make sure you get the 328P and not the 168P, the memory is too small.

I've used both, to be honest I've never had an issue using the other brands, the part numbers match on the chips so they're the same thing functionally. Just make sure you get the 328P and not the 168P, the memory is too small.
Good to know! With that alternative nano, price for the electronics drops below $100 for people buying things on their own. I think I'm gonna make this my december project. I'll check out the discord and let you all know how it goes!

Hi, Props3D just wanted to say thanks for all your amazing efforts on the build of this; I'm currently in the process of making one for my father-in-law as a Christmas present and one for myself soon after. I'm also doing a Judge Dredd helmet for him, so he will be fully decked out!

I read some of your more recent comments, did you say you are selling electrical kits for this build? this will be the first-ever electronics project I complete (in my early 30's), and any assistance I can get to make this go smoothly would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Hi, Props3D just wanted to say thanks for all your amazing efforts on the build of this; I'm currently in the process of making one for my father-in-law as a Christmas present and one for myself soon after. I'm also doing a Judge Dredd helmet for him, so he will be fully decked out!

I read some of your more recent comments, did you say you are selling electrical kits for this build? this will be the first-ever electronics project I complete (in my early 30's), and any assistance I can get to make this go smoothly would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build I sold some drop in pre-made parts kits as part of the run, but it was a huge effort so I limited to only a few sets.

I'm currently very low/possibly out of some of the main parts because of the run, but I'm thinking to order enough to put together some unsoldered sets that you can make yourself following the 'how to' videos as a guide. I can get the parts much cheaper ordering in bulk and a lot of the stuff like the screws, springs, etc come in packs of 100 and you only need one or two. I'm currently heads down trying to get the rest of the run done but sometime between here and there I'll price out what I can buy parts for in bulk and what a kit may look like. I'll post here when I get my head around the idea, suggestions welcome. If you're looking for a pre-soldered set for Christmas let me see if I can scrape enough parts up for one more extra, I have a few more to solder up for the run so I can do them together. No promises until I can do a proper inventory though, I really may only have enough to cover the run at this point.

Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build I sold some drop in pre-made parts kits as part of the run, but it was a huge effort so I limited to only a few sets.

I'm currently very low/possibly out of some of the main parts because of the run, but I'm thinking to order enough to put together some unsoldered sets that you can make yourself following the 'how to' videos as a guide. I can get the parts much cheaper ordering in bulk and a lot of the stuff like the screws, springs, etc come in packs of 100 and you only need one or two. I'm currently heads down trying to get the rest of the run done but sometime between here and there I'll price out what I can buy parts for in bulk and what a kit may look like. I'll post here when I get my head around the idea, suggestions welcome. If you're looking for a pre-soldered set for Christmas let me see if I can scrape enough parts up for one more extra, I have a few more to solder up for the run so I can do them together. No promises until I can do a proper inventory though, I really may only have enough to cover the run at this point.
No problems at all; if you can let me if it's possible, that would be amazing, you've done so much work with this build and design already! if it's not possible then that's totally fine I just need to know within a week, or so then I have enough time to order the parts from various places before Christmas kicks in.

Cheers,

Props3d-- I was wondering -- in some of the photos in the github you have a small mic attached to the VR module-- do you have a source for those or know the name of that style so I could find one for mine? My VR module came with this longer gooseneck style that has a TRS jack instead of just wires. Want to avoid the trouble of cutting it all up and cannibalizing the parts.

Edit-- nevermind, believe I was able to find a pack of them:

Last edited:
I cut the wires on the gooseneck and pulled them out along with the mic, then stripped the ends and soldered them on. I cut the end of the TRS jack off the board with a knife to make it fit.
It'll be in the video once the run's done. I have an obligation to get that out before filming the 'how to' videos for it. There's a lot of little things like that I'll cover, for now I can answer any questions here.

I'm almost done the run: Limited Run - Dredd Lawgiver 2012 Full Electronics and Action

Toy Traders has allowed me to use the build of theirs to do the video, I'm going to give them my personal one to play with until then, so the videos are coming sooner than I hoped, but hours in a day have not been my friend. If you've done a 3D printed prop in 'hero quality' just think of how much work goes into each one, and I have do to 10 with all the extra complexity of the electronics and moving parts of this one. It's been an experience...

hours in a day have not been my friend. If you've done a 3D printed prop in 'hero quality' just think of how much work goes into each one, and I have do to 10 with all the extra complexity of the electronics and moving parts of this one. It's been an experience...
I feel that. December-February slows down my projects so much-- I have to paint outside, so the weather stalls all progress (and that early sunset just saps all my motivation).

Most of my parts from aliexpress have arrived-- still waiting on a few odds and ends, but should be able to get the coding part started soon. I'll be updating the notes on the google sheet to verify if my offbrand electronics worked.

~90% of my parts are printed, just have to find my motivation to sand all of it though haha. I ended up splitting the main body into pieces so it would fit on my tiny resin printer because my FDM printer was out of commission and hadn't been working very well, and the weight of the resin printed pieces feels amazing in the hand.

I ended up splitting the main body into pieces so it would fit on my tiny resin printer
I'm going to have to do the same, but I've held off so far as I'm still debating the best way of doing it and getting parts which will need minimal support and will fit together again securely. Any hints from your experience would be hugely appreciated! :)

I do a ton of resin printing so if you want me to post do a resin friendly pre-supported version after I have the run out I'd be happy to. It would be about skeletonizing the frame and cocking mechanism mostly. FDM prints use infill, which minimizes material, thick solid resin parts are both a waste and you often get warpage issues and uncured chewy cores that can warp over time. I already have pre-supported resin set up for the cowl and the sights if you want them now, just keep in mind you're play with fire a bit on the cowl since most resins are not as strong as FDM

Last edited:
I do a ton of resin printing so if you want me to post do a resin friendly pre-supported version after I have the run out I'd be happy to. It would be about skeletonizing the frame and cocking mechanism mostly. FDM prints use infill, which minimizes material, thick solid resin parts are both a waste and you often get warpage issues and uncured chewy cores that can warp over time. I already have pre-supported resin set up for the cowl and the sights if you want them now, just keep in mind you're play with fire a bit on the cowl since most resins are not as strong as FDM
Wow! That's an incredibly generous offer! And of course would be absolutely awesome! Thank you!

I'm saving up for a printer with a larger build volume at the moment, but for now I'm still limited to the 120mm x 68mm x 155mm of my puny Elegoo Mars, so cutting larger elements up (usually in Meshmixer) is pretty much a necessity. It's just working out the optimal places to split them so they fit and are easily (and strongly) reassembled once printed that takes thought. :)

For as much strength and safety as possible, I'm planning on using standard resin for detail parts, and ABS-like resin for the structural elements where greater strength and resilience are critical. That's mostly worked OK for me in the past, so fingers crossed!

Had a chat with Michael VK yesterday (the original prop designer) and he shared a fun little detail. Apparently on one of the hero models there was a working mag release:
318855464_652949759948093_3622425756843649452_n (1).jpg

This piece was attached to a very thin stainless steel plate that would actually work to drop the mag. I went through my reference shots and it wasn't in any of the ones I used, so I can only assume it was used on one particular shot or fell off somewhere, though I don't see any residue that would indicate it fell off in any shots:

Dredd-Dredd-3D-M2-Airsoft-Lawgiver-5.jpg

To quote a response from him:"In all fairness you’d be hard pressed to find two shots of the gun that are the same. The ring on the side of the slide? There’s supposed to be a brass tack/dome in there (painted black, obviously). They had a tendency to disappear after the thing fired full auto, hence why they’re missing on a lot of the pics. Good ol’ ‘screen accuracy’, eh?"

So in the 'is it there or isn't it there' spirit I created a glue on OPTIONAL piece to replicate this slide release:
Dredd2012_FIX2_2022-Dec-16_07-32-03PM-000_CustomizedView42747663891.png

Dredd2012_FIX2_2022-Dec-16_07-31-17PM-000_CustomizedView24302759059.png

So now you can decide if it isn't or is a thing for you!

And I won't be upgrading the model to support this mechanism, it required a .8mm steel plate to get working, which would break one of my clearly stated cardinal rules: 'The base model must be able to to be fully made and serviced by anyone in an apartment with nothing more than a 3D printer, a Soldering iron, simple hand tools".

If you want some logic behind why the mag release is the way it is I did an off the cuff explanation yesterday in the run thread, here it is again:

edit:

here's the download link again: Dredd 2012 Lawgiver- Action, Light and Sound | Holster and Stand | V3 V2 by Props3DPro

Props3D I am looking forward to that tutorial vid whenever it comes out-- Just tried to figure out how to do the arduino stuff and I am so lost its not even funny! I'll have to busy myself with painting and finishing the piece and let the electronics come later.

Did some minor sanding and filling over the past few days. Once the holidays are over and I finish some other projects in the backlog Im looking forward to going full force on this

Props3D I am looking forward to that tutorial vid whenever it comes out-- Just tried to figure out how to do the arduino stuff and I am so lost its not even funny! I'll have to busy myself with painting and finishing the piece and let the electronics come later.

Did some minor sanding and filling over the past few days. Once the holidays are over and I finish some other projects in the backlog Im looking forward to going full force on this
Working on it, I took the week off and I'll be finishing the run and filming. I'll post progress here as I go :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back