Dredd 2012 Electronics 3D Model and Build

20220720_174952.png

Sigh, if one looks carefully at the pic above you can see the wires on the main power leads are reversed. Now all the smoke has cleared from the room and I've resoldered a new Arduino on I'll give it another go. *cough*

Go too fast, make dumb mistakes. That's a life lesson I've learned dozens of times over, and I'll probably learn it again soon...

Last edited:
Continuing with the daily increment until done:

Ran into a bit of a snag today, turns out the Arduino sketch is now over 100% memory in a 328p!!! (the one with more memory) That's even with the u8g2 library cut down (there's directions in the readme: GitHub - Props3D/dredd-lawgiver)

Jumped on a call with Spidey74 to work it out and it turns out I had a few out of date libraries, when it was all paired down and validated I got:

"Sketch uses 30622 bytes (99%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes."

That's 98 bytes free!!!!!

But fits is fits and it all works great! No pics of it working today, exhausted. But here's a couple of pics of the build table(s). I know I did way too many sights and plates but I always print a full bottle of resin, the stuff stinks and I hate putting it back in the bottle:
20220721_223105.jpg

20220721_223531.jpg

All the ones not in natural PLA (clear) are just various beta versions, I'm going to see if I can cobble a few of them together or I may give them away if you're willing to deal with it, will post about that after I have my head around it.

Planning on doing the speaker test video tomorrow to decide the best sound setup, then that's the last piece of the puzzle! On track for release Saturday. After that I'll post the run details in a new run thread, I'm now a premium member and all that!

Last edited:
\
Just a fun look into the knock on effects of small changes. I readjusted the trigger guard on MichaelVK's request, and the operation being so early in the model it caused a cascading series of small changes which look totally fine when viewed from the side, but at this angle you can see that the trigger group is missing a huge chunk, the cocking mechanism retainer is fubar, and the guide rod hole is gone. This is just one of dozens of issues that cascade when tweaking a model this complex. As soon as these are all fixed I'm going to print a full one to ensure it all goes together and then no more changes, done.

dredd2012 model damage.jpg

Hopefully this isn't too much minutia but here's the way I start painting and sanding. First it gets a rough sanding, then a light coat of high build K1 primer. When I start sanding it will also show any remaining layer lines or low areas that need filling. So I'll completely sand this off down to the bare plastic OR fill in any that remains with spot putty. That will leave me with perfect surface to start the real painting with:

Masking the electronics area
lawgiver body insidemasking.jpg

Masking the magwell, I 'wall off' areas with used shop towel so I don't have to tape all the way:
lawtiver body magazine masking.jpg

As bare plastic you really don't notice imperfections, but nothing makes every little wart stand out like flat black. This is a very heavy build primer so I could just hose it until flat, but I find it starts removing details at that point so it's much better to lay it on JUST thick enough to cover and sand it off entirely:
lawgiver body basecoat.jpg

The barrel and trigger will be replaced by the awesome metal ones BeakZ is doing up, so I'm going to paint just one for now so I can have a demo to show until they arrive.

edit: Yes, this is missing a lot of parts. I'm using them with the V1 body to finalize the electronics at the moment ;)

Last edited:
Halfway through testing but already 99% sure these are the final speakers:

717XR5JOLFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2 of these wired in parallel will give it 4ohm impedance, still matching the pam8203 amp. So it's just a matter of 1 or 2, but I only have 1 on hand to test so I paid the amazon tax to get a second in tomorrow.

I'll have the final models exported in a few hours and it'll include a single/double speaker caddy for this speaker model, just going to remove the other speaker size caddies since I had bad performance with those speakers.

I'll post here in a bit when I get all the final models exported with a link. It'll also have a static OLED filler plate with a printable graphic in case you want to just do a static version. If you just add a few of the screws, the springs, and the LEDs as filler you get all the working action and the same screen accuracy in a mechanical model without electronics. I know not everyone wants to buy 100 bucks in parts just for a decoration ;)

V3 is up! Dredd 2012 Lawgiver- Action, Light and Sound | Holster and Stand | V3 V2 by Props3DPro
Unless I donked something up this is the final version. Still building the working demo but no reason to keep the files under my hat since I've validated them all pretty thoroughly.

I posted some transparent renders on my instagram: Props3D Instagram • Transparent Lawgiver Gallery

Here's some final model renders:
Lawgiver 2012 Left View.png

Lawgiver 2012 Right View.png

Lawgiver 2012 Rear View.png

Lawgiver 2012 Bottom View.png

Lawgiver 2012 Top View.png

Lawgiver 2012 Internal View.png

Happy printing all! Will be posting pics and a video of it together, the speaker test video, followed by build tutorial vids soon.

Last edited:
Well, I was going to have a final today but my OCD and past traumas got the better of me.

Last year I finished off the first version of my aliens pulse rifle and did a 'quick paint' with almost no sanding. I still haven't had the time to make another one so this is has just been staring me in the face, layer lines glistening in the light:
aliens pulse rifle.jpg

I'll start an RPF thread for V3, where it will have full light and audio. Right now it's fully mechanical with the action and shotgun working. You can download the latest version here: Aliens Pulse Rifle M41A - Moving Parts! |NEW Shotgun Update| by Props3DPro

So I sanded off most of the first primer coat:

dredd lawgiver 2012 - 2nd sanding.jpg

I did some filling, leveling, and small details.

Then painted it all again:

dredd lawgiver 2012 - 2nd primer coat.jpg

Then sanded it all again:

dredd lawgiver 2012 - 3nd sanding.jpg

At this point it's going to need 24hrs, if you build up too much primer too fast you get shrinking issues.

In the mean time I've been working on the electronics and wiring. I'm still waiting for the right speaker to arrive but I trained the voice recognition up and gave it a test:

VOICE RECOGNITION TEST (Instagram reel, can't figure out how to embed here, help welcome)

V3 is up! Dredd 2012 Lawgiver- Action, Light and Sound | Holster and Stand | V3 V2 by Props3DPro
Unless I donked something up this is the final version. Still building the working demo but no reason to keep the files under my hat since I've validated them all pretty thoroughly.

I posted some transparent renders on my instagram: Props3D Instagram • Transparent Lawgiver Gallery

Here's some final model renders:
View attachment 1600915
View attachment 1600916
View attachment 1600917
View attachment 1600918
View attachment 1600919
View attachment 1600920

Happy printing all! Will be posting pics and a video of it together, the speaker test video, followed by build tutorial vids soon.
Speechless man wow

Missed my daily post yesterday, it's 40c here in Canada so I'm losing a bit of steam, or just turning into steam, bleh.

But I did get the first coat of metallic paint on:
lawgiver body drying.jpg

lawgiver parts drying.jpg

This normally would be a starting place for painting and finishing, but considering I just want to get a working demo I can show so I can start the run thread, I'll give this 3 days then a top coat, then another day to cure, and call it good enough to show off. After that I can make a function video and show you it in it's full (hopefully) glory.

In the mean time here's the V2 and V3 wiring side by side:

lawgiver electronics v2 and v3.jpg

I'm doing the speaker test right now before putting on together, whish sorta left me stuck because the painted lawgiver has 3 days left before I can touch it. And I need one done to finalize the last bit of he wiring, sooo, I made another one!

lawgiver test version.jpg

This one has had a light sand and all the tapping is done, but no paint. After the speaker is finalized I'll create a new set of electronics with the final wire lengths, which I will use for the github page with the final parts list, and then install it in this one so I can lock it down.

The march continues!

Greetings Judges,

Progress has been slow but steady and the barrels are almost complete. So far I have:

• Cut the stock to length
  • Bored the inside diameter (including the larger ID for the lens ring)
  • Turned the outside diameter to spec
  • Milled a locating slot on the bottom rear of the barrel (to locate into the body)
  • Milled opposing slots in the muzzle
  • Mill/drilled a 3mm hole on either side of the barrel for the fixing screw
  • Tapped said holes
  • Repeat this process 21 times
The end result (short of a bit of finishing time) is this:

PXL_20220726_194616534.jpg

I've got to put together a sample of finishes, mirror shine, 400 grit (for paint) and Aluminium blacking. Personally (for my own Lawgiver) I might go for the mirror shine.

It's very satisfying when your hole meet up in the middle too, especially when drilling on a radius:

PXL_20220726_191304920.jpg

Anyway, more updates as they happen.

Stay frosty!

BeakZ

Missed my daily post yesterday, it's 40c here in Canada so I'm losing a bit of steam, or just turning into steam, bleh.

But I did get the first coat of metallic paint on:
View attachment 1601858

View attachment 1601859

This normally would be a starting place for painting and finishing, but considering I just want to get a working demo I can show so I can start the run thread, I'll give this 3 days then a top coat, then another day to cure, and call it good enough to show off. After that I can make a function video and show you it in it's full (hopefully) glory.

In the mean time here's the V2 and V3 wiring side by side:

View attachment 1601860

I'm doing the speaker test right now before putting on together, whish sorta left me stuck because the painted lawgiver has 3 days left before I can touch it. And I need one done to finalize the last bit of he wiring, sooo, I made another one!

View attachment 1601861

This one has had a light sand and all the tapping is done, but no paint. After the speaker is finalized I'll create a new set of electronics with the final wire lengths, which I will use for the github page with the final parts list, and then install it in this one so I can lock it down.

The march continues!
You must be on the West coast! We got blasted with that type of heat here in Toronto last week...at least you have an ocean to cool off in :( lake ontario ain't the cleanest. Stay safe and hydrated brother! Keep up the amazing work!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back